Roast in crock-pot

PaleoPlease

I've never made anything in a crock pot.  I do make roasts in those browning bags.  I throw all my vegetables underneath, roast on top....cook it slower and a lower temp than the normal 350 and it comes out perfect.  You can add a good fat you like on top of roast with your spices for extra flavor.   I cook everything in those browning bags.   Roasted vegetables, chickens, turkeys, roasts of every kind, fish...anything I can think of.   I place vegetables on the bottom so it doesn't explode.  :D  :lol:  A few tiny holes on the sides and voila, stick a fork in it...it's done.

I don't have a beef roast recipe per se but I made these and they are RIDICULOUSLY good

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3762844557/slow-cooker-korean-grass-fed-short-ribs#

I think Nom Nom Paleo has a way with the crock pot, and a way with meat and I would recommend any of her recipes if you have her book. Her pork roast is amazing and all you need is salt!!! And bacon, but I've done it without 

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/10031990774/slow-cooker-kalua-pig

Oh here's a great link from her about prepping beef for slow cooking:

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/60942421084/paleo-eats-9-10-13

• Moderators

When the roast is lean like shoulder or round roast, I put it in the crock pot/slow cooker frozen. I dust generously with salt, garlic powder, and coriander powder, then I add a big can of diced tomatoes and a regular can of coconut milk. Let cook on low for 8 hours. If the roast has plenty of fat like a chuck roast, I leave out the coconut milk and add everything else.

My grandmother's Italian beef recipe translated really well to paleo cooking: Find some marinated Italian vegetables (gardiniera, I believe) in a big jar (28 oz or more, or get two smaller jars) and a 6-oz can of tomato paste. Salt and pepper the roast like you always would, however that is for you, and toss it in the pot with the vegetables and all their juices and the whole can of tomato paste. Lid on. High for 4-6 hours, turn down to low until it's time to eat. This one shreds like it's nothing. I haven't come up with anything better to do with it than eat it by itself in a bowl, since it originally is meant to go on open-faced sandwiches, but it's easy.

I've also cooked both beef roasts and boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the crock pot with just a jar or two of salsa. Instant fajita meat.

Nomnompaleo has a recipe for slow-cooker chicken and gravy, and I intend to use the recipe to modify my beef roast tomorrow night.

My grandmother's Italian beef recipe translated really well to paleo cooking: Find some marinated Italian vegetables (gardiniera, I believe) in a big jar (28 oz or more, or get two smaller jars) and a 6-oz can of tomato paste. Salt and pepper the roast like you always would, however that is for you, and toss it in the pot with the vegetables and all their juices and the whole can of tomato paste. Lid on. High for 4-6 hours, turn down to low until it's time to eat. This one shreds like it's nothing. I haven't come up with anything better to do with it than eat it by itself in a bowl, since it originally is meant to go on open-faced sandwiches, but it's easy.

I've also cooked both beef roasts and boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the crock pot with just a jar or two of salsa. Instant fajita meat.

Nomnompaleo has a recipe for slow-cooker chicken and gravy, and I intend to use the recipe to modify my beef roast tomorrow night.

That Italian beef recipe sounds amazing, but I have not found any gardiniera that is compliant it all has soybean oil in- which I believe is a no-no?  I am new to this and am just learning and it is scary how much sugar and soy is in our food.

When the roast is lean like shoulder or round roast, I put it in the crock pot/slow cooker frozen. I dust generously with salt, garlic powder, and coriander powder, then I add a big can of diced tomatoes and a regular can of coconut milk. Let cook on low for 8 hours. If the roast has plenty of fat like a chuck roast, I leave out the coconut milk and add everything else.

This recipe sounds amazing. I have a rump roast in my freezer...does that fall into the lean or fatty category? Google seems to indicate that it is lean but I know my rump isn't very lean. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Rump roast works well in the crockpot. I sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika. Add 1/4 cup water, and I've cooked it on low for 24 hours. I'm sure you don't need to cook it that long, but that's what fit my schedule that day.

Grassfed beef is typically leaner than cornfed beef.  (Typically, but there are always exceptions!)  On my cows, the 'front' end roasts have more fat in them (chuck and shoulder.)  However, it's still not a ton of fat.  The 'back' end roasts are leaner (rump, top round, bottom round.)  The eye of round and sirloin tip are lean but still very tender.  Those two are my favorites. 

Archived