Do these mishaps count as fail?

abacoian

I'm doing the whole 30 with my wife. We seasoned a few things with natures seasoning before we knew there was sugar in it. And we ate some applegate turkey meat before we knew we couldn't have it.  So do those things make us have to start over? We are on day 9, it would be very difficult to start over:)

I have a spinal cord injury and  can walk a little, about once a day. I think on day 4 I noticed a dramatic decrease in my muscle spasms while walking. I'm very excited about that.

Missing all the bad foods that taste so good but know I can make it and looking forward to the energy days.

So I hope the very few mishaps don't disqualify our efforts.

Ian

• Moderators

The carrageenan is a serious gut irritant that is specifically mentioned in the Whole30 rules as NOT okay. Your healing process starts from the day you last ate the turkey. To complete a Whole30, you have to add 30 days to your process. 

• Moderators

Well that's sad news. Even though it was less than 2% we still have to start over?

Even trace amounts of problems foods can cause meaningful trouble. And you may not recognize the trouble something creates until you add it back after removing it 100 percent for 30 days. So eating only a little of something just won't work for the purposes of the Whole30.

This coincides with Tom and Carlaccini.

it depends on what day you're on when you accidentally ingest an off-plan food, what you accidentally ingested, and what your goal is for the program.

If it's really early on (Day 3, for example), regardless of what you ate, it's easy to start over and call it a Whole 33. If it's mid-program, and you were accidentally slipped some added sugar (say, in a dressing), you can decide for yourself whether you really want to log 30 days perfectly (in which case you start over), or whether you want to call it a learning experience and keep going.

If you ingest something that has the serious potential to compromise the healing process, particularly in the gut, we recommend starting over regardless of what day you are on, as those foods can break the "reset" process you are trying to accomplish. (This is why we say "no cheats," not even a bite of your friend's pizza or a lick of the cake batter.) This is especially important if you are doing the program in an effort to determine how the food you are eating is affecting your symptoms or medical condition.

Sugar isn't typically going to break the "reset" process, but everything else (including alcohol) is suspect. Does that make sense? Ultimately, of course, it's always up to you.

Best,

Melissa

Archived