Dirty 30 8/21 Start

dcducks1

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just had a successful dinner out at a restaurant. One of our favorite places to go is a fish-camp style restaurant in Raleigh. In the past, I'd get the stuffed salmon, or broiled salmon, or broiled tuna (sweetie always gets fried shrimp and flounder), fries, salad with blue cheese dressing, pie for dessert. Oh, and hush puppies, of course.

Today I ate a good lunch at home (big bowl of taco meat from Well Fed 2 and a TON of baby spinach), and we went to dinner at 5:30. I took a small container of clarified butter in my purse, and ordered a baked potato and broiled tuna. The waitress said there was no problem asking the kitchen to put nothing on it, and I believe that's exactly what I got-- a big fresh piece of tuna, broiled.

None of the veggies appealed (slaw, applesauce, Lima beans, green beans--likely canned and seasoned), so I had the fish, lots of fresh lemon, and the potato with clarified butter, and delicious unsweetened tea (brewed, not from powder). Yum!

I was full before I finished all the fish, so... I stopped. Brought the last little bit of fish home for the cat. All in all, a success, even though no green veggie at dinner. I had plenty of veg at lunch, and i am going to make the asparagus and bacon fritatta tomorrow (I'm a bit behind on the ingredient of the day). Oh, and sweetie got all the hushpuppies, so we were both quite, quite happy.

ann

Meadow, it does ache.  Poor tooth.  The dentist was hoping the nerve would settle down this weekend, but apparently I have a root canal in my near future.

Crickets here too.  My partner just left for a week to visit his mom so the house is very quiet.  I have been cooking up a storm:  I'm making a huge pot of bone broth (a first for me), plus made salmon cakes, rosemary mashed sweet potatoes and garlic pureed cauliflower.  Stocking up for the week.  I was going to do a carrot/parsnip puree but right now there's no room on top of the stove, so I'll be a day late with the carrot/radish IOD.

Dave, you will be happy to know that I defrosted and cleaned the chest freezer, plus did a bunch of loads of post-vacation laundry AND cleaned the fridge.  Plus the usual stuff.  I'm doing the challenges but mixing up the chores and days.

Meadow, my dog is eating house flies.  It's one of his favorite games.

Ann - I kept a strict food journal with measurements almost every day for 5 years. It really wasn't working for me, so earlier this year I decided to drop it. I have not food journaled at all during my Whole 76 (as of today) with the exception of one day. I felt like something wasn't right, so I tracked calories all day from what I was eating and realized I was way overboard on the fat. I've also had days with too many nuts or lara bars. I have found that I really don't need to journal to see where I'm going wrong.  My plan is to eat protein, veg, and fat at every meal. And I eat a couple servings of fruit (or 3 or 4) a day. I have decided that fruit is not my enemy. If you saw what I was eating before, I look like a saint now!

Miki - I'm going to have to try radishes your way. You can't go wrong with a "chip." You sound like you're doing great. Please don't beat yourself up about the snacks! 

Dave - such a great family picture!  I really like your thinking on the static/dynamic issues. Very smart!!

Deb - tomorrow is flip flop day and birthday party #2.  I drove to VA with Sam today and we did birthday #1.  I will take some pictures and post them tomorrow!  We have already decided on the artichoke frittata. That sounds delicious!

I'm going to do one post per page of comments - otherwise I can't keep up!

Sooooo....this Dr. that I have been learning from says that if you tell yourself that you want to lose 30 pounds.....your sub-conscious brain stores that and will later try to find what you lost (weight gain). He claims that studies have shown that people who say " I want to weigh 195 pounds are more successful because the sub conscious brain continually tells them things like, " don't eat those cookies, a 195 pound person wouldn't do that" or " go to the gym because that is what 195 pound people do"!

Dave

Thanks for sharing this! Interesting and helpful!

Deb C, yes, I see all my diagnostic and disease as a blessing and a purpose, first for me to heal my body and my soul, second to help my kids to grow healthier (they always have think their mom is a health nuts, lol), and third to help others along the way to heal as well.

I studied and graduated as a Medic in Chinese Medicine back in my home country, Venezuela, but 12 years ago, new immigrant with 3 kids to raise and an almost broken marriage, I did not have the time or money to go back 4 years of college and get certified here, so I was a clandestine doctor, to my own family and to very close friends, just to avoid legal affairs.  In this journey I had been living the past 5 years, I got in touch with essential oils, that got me rid of a Gabapentin prescription for good, than I became an advocate last November, and went back to school now to be a Naturophatic Doctor, perfect timing. I am doing AromaTouch, and helping people heal their lives, and I am healing mine as well. Just have to nail down the nutritional part, and that it why I am here, a work in progress. Loving this flight to health. Thank you Captain Dave and all the Cruise :-) You ROCK!

Nanny, I love raindrop essential oil therapy.  So relaxing.  Hope you'll share some good tips with us.  I like to mix oils, use them for perfume.  They're not offensive to people with perfume allergies.  I also mix all kinds of tree oils..pine, cedar, spruce, fir, cyrpress and oakmoss together.  I use it for spraying toity :P paper rolls - the cardboard.  I spray it on the walls of my showers and bathtubs.  I use it for alot of things, mainly to make my house an alpine meadow. :D  I put it in my shampoo, too.

Essential oils, I have lavender, lemon, grapefruit, neroli and petitgrain (love that one), vetiver, sandalwood and night blooming jasmine. Deliciousssssss. Meadow I also like splashing them around the house and on the bed. 

Ann, way to go with dinner!

Higs, would like to be at YOUR house with all that food! Sorry about the tooth. 

Ended up having a beautiful day at the beach today with a friend. Enjoyed a fresh coconut as a snack - pulp and water. 

Too hungry when I got home to roast radishes so made a radish and parsley salad with steak. Yum. I love parsley and often use it as a salad green. 

Meadow here's what it was like in CA today, we are blessed with the weather. 

post-44893-0-63783700-1408850418_thumb.j  post-44893-0-13647700-1408850469_thumb.j

Yes, I am using a Trader Joes bag as a pillow #classy

You can't really see it in the pic but the surf was wild, there were warnings about rip tides so I didn't get to christen my new board shorts...but enjoyed wearing them!

Sophia is seriously the cutest dog.

Wait, what was the MOD today? 

Ann, also cutie pattootie dawgies!

Outdorsgrl advice for AIP!

* eat plenty at mealtimes bcs there ain't nuthin to snack on!

* make condiments - see my AIP condiment thread in recipes - it really helps

* prep food on Sundays for the week - also really helps

* plan eating out well - I go places where I can get steak and a green salad with olive oil and balsamic. One place I like has a side of plantains - perfect. 

* bring your lunch and one other meal to work, every day, avoid hunger!

* read the blog for recipes and get inspired - all the good ones listed on the AIP thread I met you on

* the worst AIP is still better than no AIP (i.e. you ate too much fruit one day, etc)

*I'll be posting AIP recipes along with the ingredient of the day every day

* there are a surprising amount of AIP recipes that can be found via Google

The main thing is to be prepared I think. Because your choices are so limited, finding yourself foodless and hungry is not good! 

Stick with it! It takes a while to see results - usually longer than 30 days. 

Allright everyone, signing off for now, hope it was a great Saturday! 

Miki and Deb - so kind of the two of you to make the cards for Steve.  I texted with him yesterday and he still did not receive the card.  I should have had you send the card to my apartment the first time.  Sorry. 

Deb - Steve's hospital days are filled with taking medicine and getting transfusions (both blood and platelets). He is too sick to do much of anything.. His daughter wanted to play cards with Steve when she visited but he was too weak.  When Steve has the energy, he posts/reads on the facebook site for his disease (myelofibrosis) and for stem cell transplant survivors.  The connection with people with similar illnesses is good.  However, at times it can be depressing to read because people do die and, life after transplant is often very difficult.  At this point, we can't  speak on the phone. Steve has very bad sores in his mouth from the chemo so it's very painful for him to speak.  I am grateful that we are able to communicate by texting.  Transplant patients are supposed to walk 4 times a day (when they leave their room, they must wear a mask and gloves and they can't leave the transplant floor) to keep the lungs working.  For a few days, he was not allowed to walk since all his blood levels were extremely low.  Nurses were concerned that he could fall.  Yesterday, Steve was able to walk so that's good news.

When Steve recovers, my goal is to walk a 5K with him.  What an amazing accomplishment that would be for my guy to cross that finish line.  I'll be holding his hand with pride and love every step of the way.

I am having lots of negative body image issues.  I hate these feelings/thoughts; they are depressing/obsessive.  I feel that no matter what I do, I can't get my body the way I want it.  Yes, I know what I want is probably not realistic and what is see in the mirror might not be correct.   Sometimes (well, really quite often) when I am struggling with food, I just want the day to end.  Sorry for this negative talk.  Dave - please don't move me to the luggage section.  I want to remain in first class with all of you. I am enjoying the comfortable seats, the water with lemon in a beautiful glass and the amazing company.

I wish I could just focus on the positive - what my body is capable of doing.  I've been working on pushups for about 10 months.  On a good day, I can do 32 consecutive pushups (on the toes with good form). I never thought I would be able to do so many.  I am getting stronger every day - that should be more important than how thin I am.

Thank you all for reading my posts, sharing about your lives and supporting me through Steve's stem cell transplant.  When I'm down, I come here for love, laughs, and light.  I can't even express my gratitude towards all of you.  You make my day.  Thank you.

I've been all over these boards for a year now!  Wow.

My first whole30 was last September. And boy did it go great.  It basically changed my life.  My fibromyalgia aches went away.  I lost a ton of weight and reached my wedding weight.  I went back to feeling good about  myself.

I continued basically Paleo since then, popping in on the boards for moral support.  Fell off the wagon a bit over the holidays and then successfully completed my second Whole30 in January.

Got the kids Paleo, for the most part.

Slacked off this summer - been living in hotels and working too many jobs all summer.  But I LOVE THIS GROUP!  I hope you keep going on and on.  My family is in the midst of a move and I see myself successfully completing the September Whole30, hopefully as a late tag along in this group.  I do have to go back and read your ingredients from days past - what a great idea.  And I do love the chore list.

Tracy

Hi Dirty Thirty Crew,

This is only my first Whole 30, but I'd really like to join you crazy cats! Love it all--preflight check, MODs, IODs--awesome!

I started my first on Aug 20th, then saw your group.

Backstory--emotional eater, sugar/flour addict, vegan for four years, became major carnivore while pregnant with twins, love whole unprocessed foods...tried paleo last spring but fell off the wagon while raising my now 22 month old amazing twins. Have read tons on nutrition and tried a lot of approaches--even took a quick look at the whole 30 last year but was scared off by the strictness!

My tipping point: Injured my already super-stressed back June 13th from a strenuous workout (my back and pelvis are a wreck post-partum, carried twins to term--7 lbs 4 oz and 6 lbs 12 oz). Almost went the route of epidural and cortisone shots because of severe pain, took strong meds for a month, got depressed, ate brownies, etc, sad because I couldn't exercise, then found an incredible team of chiropractor--acupuncturist--deep tissue massage therapist that is covered by my insurance :-). However, my marching orders are to only walk in the water at this time.

My chiro said to me last week--well, attaining a healthy weight is at least 70% nutrition--and I know she's right.

I have insulin resistance (but normal sugars) but I am 60 lbs overweight, have tendonitis in my shoulders from lifting twins, and know that extra weight=inflammation=downward spiral.

My plan--to make it through this first Whole 30 and do a second immediately after.

If I can't exercise, I can at least heal my body from within.

Permission to board?

Laurie - you are a strong person and must learn to love who you are. While continuing the aircraft theme, you must remember that in an emergency, you must pull down and place YOUR oxygen mask on first before trying to help someone with theirs. You are no good at taking care of others if you can't maintain your own health. I will allow you to stay up in the comfortable seats......for now.......but the tradeoff is I want to continue hearing good news. Steve walking....is good news......but I want to hear some good news about our Laurie also.

Twins - sorry to hear about your back. I would suggest getting rid of the kids to spare your back, but it appears that you might have grown attached to them so we will have to make do. Continue with the healthy eating and slowly .......slowly begin to strengthen the core with push-ups (on knees) and some light leg lifts. This has to be done AFTER you have gotten down to healthy weight or you will just be stressing your back more. Welcome aboard....

Today is "clean up something for someone else" day!  Enjoy

Dave

Today is the big day - the first Dirty30 Hookup, Deb and Mik! I was going to prepare the IOD, but found that my house guest is not an Artichoke fan, yep...you heard it here first, Deb won't eat my artichokes...hmmm, did that come out right?

Dave - Your friend is cute and finally my darling Naked Joe, I really was missing him.

Meadow, I wish my food looked half as good as the pictures you post.

I haven't seen any watermelon radishes yet, they are so pretty.

CC - your birthdays seem amazing - wow. a Dirty 76, awesome work dear friend - you go to the front of first class.

Higs - I picture you cooking away, the goat by your side ready to help clean up. Enjoy your quiet.

Laurie, I should have thought not to send the card to the hospital. I'll try to call and see if I can track it down, meanwhile, I will print another copy of the card and include it with the one Deb does (I'm not too artistic) with my input today.

Miki

So, Jacuzzi man may not be my Huckleberry (thank you Meadow) but he is pretty fun alright. We had our date last night and had a very enjoyable time. All the kids cam through at one point or the other, the cats were quite friendly, so all in all a good date.  I didn't cook for him, so Deb you're still the hottest date of the weekend.

TMC - welcome. Dave will lead you to a happier, healthier, house-cleanier self in no time, that is what Dave does.

Dr. T - sounds like you've found your whole-happiness, that is great.

I have such a hard time just sticking to the W30, I can't imagine doing an AIP, so impressive. My pain level is very manageable on the W30, I guess if it wasn't I would be more motivated.

Okay, off to the shower. Beverly Hills for breakfast and then Deb for dinner...busy weekend!

Miki

Archived