Dirty 30 8/21 Start

dcducks1

Melissa @Whole9 says

October 31, 2012 at 8:24 am

... and once you cross that line, sister, it’s a multiple-year journey to get back to sane and normal.

The brain will ALWAYS want to go back to what makes it feel good – what rewards it. That’s what that little voice inside your head is telling you – I miss the stress, I miss how it gave me a buzz, let’s go back there, shall we? You’ve got to override and remind yourself that you have other ways of feeling good and rewarded now – healthier ways.

@Jessica Jane: Thanks, JJ!

@Alexis: I think your point is solid – we’ve been dieting, exercising, berating ourselves for not working hard enough all our lives, practically. It can be hard to give ourselves permission to slow down! Sometimes, taking a voluntary rest day is the most bad-ass example we can set.

@Fergatron: I’m sorry that you’re feeling at the end of your rope. We’ve got a two-part series on stress junkies linked in the above that might help you get started – part two has some tips for getting out of the cycle. First and foremost is trying to identify your “trigger” behaviors, and working on those. If you know that getting out of bed and checking email first thing in the morning winds you up like crazy, then set a rule that you aren’t on your computer until you’ve eaten breakfast and read for a 1/2 hour. If the spin class you take spins you into competitive overdrive, stop doing the class (ASAP) and try something else, like yoga or walking. (And not that hard-core heated power yoga, either.) If you’re drinking coffee or taking in other forms of caffeine, stop. Cold-turkey. 100%. For a really, really long time. Eliminate any areas of stress you can, in any form you can think of… and get some help from a professional. Talking through this can make a world of difference right away, even if you don’t solve all your problems in one sitting. Best of luck to you.

@Khaled: Thanks for your observations. This kind of behavior is common with a lot of Type-A perfectionists, and there does seem to be a number of those in our community, for one reason or another.

@Daniel: We’ve addressed this more than a few times, on the blog and in great detail in It Starts With Food (http://bit.ly/wholeiswf). Relying on the comfort of the Whole30 rules for 30 days is, I think, a safe place from which to build new habits and reshape old patterns. But you’ve gotta kick the training wheels off and test your new skills in the real world eventually – even if you do fall face-first into a plate of birthday cake. That’s not failure – that’s expected! And you’ll always have the Whole30 to get you back on track. I often use the Whole30 for just a few days or a week at a time, to remind me what it’s like to feel good and eat healthy – and that’s enough to keep temptations at bay and keep my decisions on track. This is a life-long process, and I have no doubts you’ll find your way.

@CPB: I’m impressed with the awareness that many of you are demonstrating – it took me years to realize that my behaviors were unhealthy, and even then, it was mostly Dallas pointing out the problems (patiently and endlessly) that brought the situation to light. Keep up the good work and keep reminding yourself that the little voice in your head telling you to do more/go harder/be better isn’t telling you the truth about who you are, and what you should actually be focusing on.

@Maury: Well done! Sounds like you may have just averted what could have been a crisis stress situation. Taking a break before starting any new projects is a great idea, but don’t be surprised if it’s hard to slow down after spinning so fast for so long. It may take a few weeks for you to settle down, but be persistent and stick to your “taking time for me” guns!

Best,
Melissa

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dr Tracy - this is one of the good AIP threads on the forum:

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/19094-need-help-doing-aip-whole30-tips-tricks-howtos/

Paleo Mom is awesome. I just noticed that you are in LA. Can it be so?

We are moving back into our house in WLA this Saturday.  We were in Claremont for a year but didn't like the exurbs.

Ann and Joni, good job sticking to it.

Dr. Tracy, you're inbetween deb & me, I think.

What am I addicted to on the w30? I think I will always make my own mayo.  (except I'm lazy) I love the tessamae Hot Wing Sauce and I love my ground chicken and cruciferous and my ground chicken with spag squash (which I will have tomorrow)!!!

Off to bed...Keep up the good work kids.

Hi Dirty Thirties,

Just got caught up with all the comings and goings and thoughts posted today--feeling incredible gratitude for the wisdom, the willingness to learn, grow, and support each other here. Will catch up more tomorrow.

Quick food post: M1 Scramble with ghee and veggies, 1/2 cup coffee with coconut milk; M2 lunch out with a friend at a Greek place--veggies drizzled with olive oil and oregano, Greek salad with lemon, oil and avocado instead of feta (thank you L.A.), grilled snapper with olive oil.

Black iced coffee. M3: canned albacore with olive oil, lemon, celery, carrots, onions and arugula/spinach salad with avocado, mushrooms, tomatoes, walnuts, pumpkin seed oil, balsamic, 5 halved grapes.

Looking forward to IOD spaghetti squash-will pick up tomorrow!

Angelenos--we should get together--perhaps at the end of this 30?

sweet dreams to you all!

Kat (yes, call me Kat, that's my name!)

Joni, yes, I stared on August 1. I'll be here for another 30, with an emphasis on fixing my brain fog and fatigue. For example, pre-W30 I was up and out of bed by 6:30 or 7:00 every day; here it is 8:00 and I'm still in bed, have a bad headache (which had disappeared for the first week but is now back), and can't think of anything even remotely witty to say! I've been reading a little about serotonin and carbohydrates, and I'm going to add white potatoes back in, especially for meal1.

Here's to better days! (Getting up NOW). :-)

ann

Ann,

Sorry to hear you're feeling puny. It's funny, I'm so attached to sweet pots now I can't imagine eating white, but I think you absolutely should experiment to see what works for your body. I don't believe we're all alike.

miki

CC:  FCOD is "Fitness Challenge of the Day," an activity in which I have been SORELY remiss.  You, however, continue to be a huge source of inspiration for me.

Deb, I've cooked spaghetti squash once before and didn't quite know what to do with it.  So I got a teeny tiny little spaghetti squash at the store and will give it another go.  We shall see.  I admit I am a bit wary.

Good luck to all today!

How is it that I'm just learning of coconut manna now? Deb, I feel that you've been keeping a secret from us!

Joni and Ann - I also wasn't ready to stop after 30 days. I just didn't feel like I had the new habits ingrained yet. What you may not know is that Dave, Miki, Deb, Higs, Meadow - maybe some others - also did two in a row to start. I was lucky to meet them on their second go around :)

Spaghetti squash - I'm trying the carbonara tonight!

Some insights from my car ride with Sam yesterday (14 year old son): I just did not plan well! I ended up eating nuts for my protein/fat, which Sam pointed out to me that I said I was not going to do. I have to tell you - the nuts are wreaking havoc with my GI system. They have to go.  Sam told me he is just tired of the fast food from all the driving we've been doing. So we made a commitment to pack a cooler when we head back on Thursday. I was shocked by his insights and request, but glad to see him wanting to make better choices, too.

I went for a 5 mile run this morning. I clocked a great time even though my gut is suffering from yesterday's nuts! (You should know that I'm eating a small bag - maybe two servings - not eating them by the can :) )  I told Rick that Dawn's exercise schedule makes me look like I'm standing still. But, SO INSPIRING!!!

Sam is off to high school freshman orientation today. How can that be? He was just an 8th grader when we started this journey together!

Have a good day!

Higs - a tip on the spaghetti squash (which is a favorite of mine). When you slice it in half length wise (and clean out the seeds) rub it with a little olive oil, and cook it on a baking sheet open side down. I think it helps the cooking process. Chef Rick can tell you the particulars. I just do that and it works.

Just lost a post.  This happens too frequently.

I was bitten very hard by the depression bug.  Where is the cure?  I need it quickly.

Visit with Steve had it's highs and lows.  The highs are the most important - blood levels are improving, we took a walk together.  Lows - in addition to the sores in his mouth, Steve now has sores in his throat.  Chemo takes its toll on the body.   He has a pain pump but it doesn't seem to help much.  He still can't eat and he can hardly talk.

I want to address each one of you but it's just not in me today. 

Deb and Miki - I showed Steve the card you posted and he loved it. 

I can't even describe to all of you how much your support has meant to me, and also to Steve.

Love and thoughts sent to the whole Dirty 30 family.

How is it that I'm just learning of coconut manna now? Deb, I feel that you've been keeping a secret from us!

Joni and Ann - I also wasn't ready to stop after 30 days. I just didn't feel like I had the new habits ingrained yet. What you may not know is that Dave, Miki, Deb, Higs, Meadow - maybe some others - also did two in a row to start. I was lucky to meet them on their second go around :)

Spaghetti squash - I'm trying the carbonara tonight!

Some insights from my car ride with Sam yesterday (14 year old son): I just did not plan well! I ended up eating nuts for my protein/fat, which Sam pointed out to me that I said I was not going to do. I have to tell you - the nuts are wreaking havoc with my GI system. They have to go.  Sam told me he is just tired of the fast food from all the driving we've been doing. So we made a commitment to pack a cooler when we head back on Thursday. I was shocked by his insights and request, but glad to see him wanting to make better choices, too.

I went for a 5 mile run this morning. I clocked a great time even though my gut is suffering from yesterday's nuts! (You should know that I'm eating a small bag - maybe two servings - not eating them by the can :) )  I told Rick that Dawn's exercise schedule makes me look like I'm standing still. But, SO INSPIRING!!!

Sam is off to high school freshman orientation today. How can that be? He was just an 8th grader when we started this journey together!

Have a good day!

You are great!  You can do any goal you set your mind to.  I love how you are inspiring Rick to do this, so fun to do that as a couple! I do these with my boyfriend (Dave) as well.  I've worked my way up to this and it's been quite the journey.  Trained for a half IM 2 years ago and it was dropped to an Olympic Distance because it was supposed to be 106 degrees that day, so I signed up for another 6 weeks later and kept training and that one was cancelled due to inclement windy weather!  So.....2 knee surgeries last year and back at it this year.  Just want to do this one big one and then back off to sprints and maybe an Olympic but mostly sprints.  My sister was a full Ironwoman and passed away from  breast cancer 5 years ago, we did this stuff together so it holds a very special place in my heart for crazy ass training!  Love that girl and miss her so....she speaks to me through music while training, it's really amazing!  Good luck to Sam, how exciting!!!  Mine are 23 & almost 22 now, my how time flies!! 

I take my spaghetti squash like CC, cut in half and scoop out seeds, but put it on a cookie sheet with water and put squash flesh side down and bake it at 375 for about an hour.  Either ways works!  I have a great spaghetti squash quiche that was wonderful

http://paleomg.com/spaghetti-squash-crusted-quiche/

Have a great day all

Dawn

Just lost a post.  This happens too frequently.

I was bitten very hard by the depression bug.  Where is the cure?  I need it quickly.

Visit with Steve had it's highs and lows.  The highs are the most important - blood levels are improving, we took a walk together.  Lows - in addition to the sores in his mouth, Steve now has sores in his throat.  Chemo takes its toll on the body.   He has a pain pump but it doesn't seem to help much.  He still can't eat and he can hardly talk.

I want to address each one of you but it's just not in me today. 

Deb and Miki - I showed Steve the card you posted and he loved it. 

I can't even describe to all of you how much your support has meant to me, and also to Steve.

Love and thoughts sent to the whole Dirty 30 family.

Thinking of you both....

Hello flyers partners, Captain Dave and all our wonderful Cruise!

For Gallbladder purposes note to self, do not put coconut milk/cream in my coffee ever again, I am paying it at a high price and it does not feel good. It is a little challenging to do this w/o a gallbladder, but not impossible. Will keep trying and for now, black straight coffee will do it. And I added a smoothie, more veggies than anything else, 1/2 cucumber, 2 ribs of celery, few leaves of basil, green leaf lettuce (2 cups), 1c of mango, 1 c of pinneapple, 1" fresh ginger, 1 c ccoconut water. It felt soooo good after the coffee indigestion, that I even not feeling guilty anymore.

Tuna for lunch, but just got a call that I will have some business lunch, so will save my tuna for tomorrow.  First day of school survived for my son, and we are planning to look for a good gluten free bread for him to take sandwiches for lunch, getting him on the gluten free boat, he shows same signs on his arms and repetitive allergies like me.  We are going with a Allergist/Immune Doctor, not for medicine, but for testing for allergies, I think that will help to heal better. 

My 140 Lbs feel so AWESOME in my body and in my mind! Thanks for that trick Captain Dave.

-CCLaymon, I would love to be able to process the coconut milk/cream, but noooo, I cannot digest it :-(

- Outdorsgrl - I was an avid runner and Hashis took it away from me after the Thyroid removal I completed 1 half marathon and 10k, and then ever since I tried 3 or 5 milers run, I crushed for 2-3 days after, so I stopped and I do yoga now. My doctor says that is better to don't exert our glands and make the body to extra work to give us energy.  But I was telling my husband that I feel that kind of energy to go for a jog. I may try at least 2-3 miles and see how it feel later. I miss that so much!

- Ann - for headaches I had a lot of success and they dissappear using doTERRA EO Peppermint, and a couple of blends called: Past Tense and Deep Blue.  Let me know if you want more info. I did not use them all at the same time. But three of them work awesome for headaches.  If trying another brand (there are a few good ones out there), just make sure they are 100% pure and natural for real, otherwise the synthetic component or ingredients mess up with our hormones.

- CCLaymon, Enjoy your son, they all grow so fast, my little one started 8th grade yesterday.  When we travel always I pack a cooler with foods to avoid "food from the street" as I call it. Sandwiches, fruits, snap peas, iced tea, nuts, olives... The family loves it!  

- For the IOD I would have to give another try to the spaghetti squash, since I made it once, and it was nasty, hahaha, and I am a cook, I was not fond of its texture. But with so many recipes, and tips here, will try it again.

- Laurie, sorry for all you are going through at home.  Chemo/Radio, sucks but it helps to heal sometimes.  I hear sore mouth and throat.  Would you mind to tell me what kind of cancer is that? I had a tumor removed from my parotid gland March 2012, big sucker 3x4" in that little space.  Slow recovery, then the Thyroid cancer, but thank God we are all here. And we support each other.

Every body else I am missing, have a fantastic day, keep flying high, and take it one meal at a time! :-)

Much love,

Hello my fair friends!

Did anyone make any lamb yesterday? Looking forward to hearing spag squash stories. Higs I'm excited for you to try it again. Its a good staple. Could it be a textural thing? 

CC lol coconut manna/coconut butter I bet you've seen it. Well, its in a lot of paleo-ized dessert stuff which is probs why we haven't really come across it. AIP peeps use it as a sub for almond butter a lot. As in, its a handy fat to have around if you are in a hunger crunch. CC it is so awesome that Sam is seeing your good example and wanting to follow it! 

Kat  - sounds like you are doing well

Ann - how is the brain fog? 

Laurie, so glad to hear that Steve's results continue to move in the right direction. It must be hard seeing him in pain. This too shall pass for you guys, but its very rough right now.  :(

Dawner you and CC are exercise birds of a feather - rock on!!!

Nanny, I had a crazy stomach thing a week or so a go and was adding coconut kefir water to smoothies to try to soothe - I think that strong probiotic helped a lot. My doc also says that auto immune doesn't respond well to intense exercise, not sure what I think about that but I certainly felt better with regular yoga, which he approves of. 

Kat/Dr Tracy/Mik - yes!! to getting together at some point. Kat you are very close to Miki who is in Torrance.  I am in Hollywood. 

All right everyone, make it an amazing and spag squash filled day!!!!!

Stay tuned for tomorrow's IOD - FISH SAUCE!!

We are almost ONE WEEK INTO THIS!! AMAZING STUFF!

I will also post the IODs for the upcoming week if peeps would like to shop. 

Cauliflower Rice, with veggies & ground chickey. 1/6 of a canteloupe. Are the Lara Bars compliant or no? Who knows? They look like they should be except that they might get you going....

Laurie, Hang in there honey.

Okay...do you want the walking on eggshells answer or do you want the truth?  

Are you sitting down?   

Take a deep breath...

Are you ready?

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:29 AM

Whole9 Moderator/First Whole30 May 2010

• photo-thumb-6.jpg?_r=1403697759
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 5060 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, Georgia, USA

jschof, on 26 Mar 2014 - 09:15 AM, said:snapback.png

Are Lara Bars ok to have as breakfast somtimes or PREWO?

No. They are a simply awful choice.

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/5917-lara-bars/page-3?hl=larabars

There's the Larabars link for you.

There's nothing worse than a reformed smoker.  There's nothing worse than a reformed ....fill in the blank.   I'm your huckleberry. :D 

Archived