Dirty 30 8/21 Start

dcducks1

Kids,

Good to see everyone seems to be rockin it for week 1, which unbelievably is almost complete. I have no time to post properly at the moment with two school runs in opposite sides of the county to get completed before 9am. CC, I don't know what your recipe for the carbonara suggested, but I always temper my eggs before I add them (usually in pasta water, but any boiling water will do, you just beat the eggs and add about three tablespoons of hot water, this parcooks the eggs in liquid form and prevents that scrambled eggy business). I have done the IODs backwards lately, yesterday I had fish sauce in my thai/malay meatballs with cauli cilantro rice and today I had squash for brekkie. I think HIgsy that the texture is the thing with squash, summer squash is firmer and less mealy. Also, you can get really bad squash in the market, its a crapshoot. All of our bacon in Ireland is compliant, they don't cure with sugar here, but the sausage is a different tale, always has rusk or wheat added. C'est la vie, its easy to make sausage, so I'm not complaining too loudly.

Mikkety miks, I don't think its lazy to use a shortcut method that results in awesome. I always melt chocolate in the microwave, double boiler my butt. If the short way works, you are a fool to go the long way instead. 

Meadow my lily, I get that you are squeamish, but shouldn't we use the whole animal if it dies for our nourishment? I laughed right out into my quiet kitchen at your heiny for breakfast comment. Love to you in all its varied forms girl.

Davey-boy, you are missed and mourned. 

Laur, its all sounding so much more positive for Steve the squeeze this week. Glad tidings.

I really have to go, Nanny, Kat, Tracy, Dawner, hugs to all and a bit of envy that some of you will be meeting up ath the close of the 30.

Love to all,

Rose

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reporting out on the spaghetti squash carbonara: taste was terrific, but I think you need some cooking skills/intuition to pull it off.  I'm sure if Rick made it, it would have been perfect!

The consistency was more like scrambled eggs. I had a feeling that was going to happen, but I really didn't know how to stop it. 

I did eat it, and would definitely try it again - just made by Rick.

Miki - here's the report out on the carbonara. Rose, thanks for the tips. Afterward as I was reflecting on it, I thought maybe I should have added the fat to the eggs, but in the moment my brain couldn't process it, ha!

Laurie - FYI the book has a lot of "F" word in it  :huh:  I think it's just her style. Hope you're not offended!

Off for a walk this morning. Sam is STILL sleeping 12 hours later!!

Oh, the joys of being a teenager. My girl sleeps about 15 hours a day. She wanders down for "breakfast" at about 2 pm, still in her pyjamas. You should see how fast she moves when the doorbell rings though, astonishing transformation that.

She's reaping the whirlwind of her indolence today, back in school since yesterday, already getting homework. Poor little goofball. 

I too have a lot of F word in me CC. It is definitely my style. 

Have to suspend my FCOD for a couple days, might get in a short run, but we have surprise visitors coming tomorrow evening and staying until Sunday. Just what a person needs on the first week back to school. Napalm on the breeze...

Best of luck for day 7 chickadees,

Rose

All - good morning. Up early for a 30 minute run on the treadmill and three sets of weights for upper body. I figured this would be a good de-stresser before the meetings today. I have been part of this contract since the beginniung....over a year and a half ago....its exhausting, but working hard to make sure we get it right.

Higs - the first sugar free bacon I found was extremely salty but I would cook it, crumble it up, and add it to my scrambled eggs and just not salt my eggs. I finally found another brand (Gwaltney???) and it is perfect.

Miki - not sure I like your Snarky attitude right now..........dont you have a date to go on or goats to walk?

Laurie - things are looking up for you and Steve....I can feel it. A Stem Cell family story will come soon.....I promise!

Ok, remember to declutter something today.......my goal........don't kill anyone today! No promises.

Thanks for the encouragement chants (sticking out tongue at Miki).

Keep doing what your doing to stay doable!

Dave

All - a quick eating tip! Experts have shown that if you go to a buffet style meal and the heavy, fatty items are first on the table, the mind tends to select the first three foods it sees. The first item is a "trigger" food. Also, larger plates and larger serving spoons makes the mind think that it is not getting enough. Try using a salad plate next time and start with the healthy foods first! Those using larger plates and utensils ate an average of 1600 more calories than those who started with the healthy foods.

Dave

Yesterday was my first dual sport training day: 3-mile run in morning, 10-mile bike ride on the hills of beautiful Smith Mountain Lake state park. Felt great! Today I had dinner for breakfast (homemade guacamole on a burger) and breakfast for supper (sunny side up eggs atop butternut squash and shallot hash). 5/8-mile swim over lunch

Rick, Great accomplishment!!!  Congrats to you, keep up the good work!  Nothing like being out in the world, free, enjoying what "something" created for us to enjoy.  

Good to hear about the bacon, I MUST find it!!  I have gotten off track a bit, not with training but with my food.  I'm not good with "kind of" doing something....I'm much better at DOING it just hard to find balance too close to the race.....look forward to being on board in October. I still love to be here, thanks for allowing me to stay.  I had amazing grass fed meat brats, pesto mashed potatoes & julienne zucchini for dinner. yum!  I wish I could go back & comment on everyone, I'm really enjoying all your comments, suggestions and the shining personalities that you all share!  :D

Laurie - You're a strong woman, more healing & hugs to Steve

Hope you all have a great day!

Dawner

Good Morning Mr. Duck,

Negotiate away, puff your chest, pound your fist...we'll just be over hear demurely awaiting the arrival of our fearless leader.

Ann, you heard that chant too? I think that's just Meadow, she likes Dave...the rest of us...meh.

I am the QOS Dave, and don't you forget it!

CC I'm afraid to try the Carbonarra as it sounds like a no breaks food for me. If I do, I think I will just modify my own recipe and see how that works. I tried a mock stirfry with my SQ and it was YUMBO...fried up chicken, onion, garlic, ginger Coconut Aminos, a little hot sauce, broccoli, carrots, celery and wow, that was amazing. I like the the spag squash to still be crunchy before I start using it in a dish, which is why the half cook in the micro works for me.

Rose, still haven't ventured into Thai except for curry...Maybe a 3 day weekend will give me the time to do that.

Miki

Kat, Deb brough me a little fish sauce in a bottle and I still haven't tried it. Will look through Debs recipes and find maybe a thai one with spag squash, I'm addicted...could eat it every day!

Higs,  you eat goat meat? Now I'm sad. I know, I know...

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:25 PM

Advanced Member

• photo-thumb-43304.jpg?_r=1408808484
  • Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 349 posts
  • LocationMaryland
Hello, I have done a non-compliant W30 in the past and am all geared up to do a compliant program starting on 9 June. Please feel free to join me and several others that I have worked with in the past as we work our way toward healthier eating. I look forward to helping anyone thru this and offering information and encouragement along the way. Please come with a sense of humor, some thick skin, and a positive attitude. Tough love may come into play to help with "course corrections" but this is only to ensure that you are successful during this program. This is about following the W30 rules and NOT deviating. This means NO SCALES for 30 days! This also requires that you are knowledgeable about the food that you will be eating whether at home or away, and that it is also compliant. As a rule of thumb, you should have a good understanding of this informatuion before jumping in. If you are not ready right now, no worries.......come back and join us when you are.

Dave 

I just got my copy of the Paleo Approach Cookbook from Amazon. I am excited to get in the kitchen and cook!

Day 3 of W30 + AIP...and doing okay. I had coconut manna for a snack, but less than I normally would. Following the guidelines otherwise. I am finding it harder to get out of bed in the morning. I feel groggy...but I pushed myself to run this morning. I made it 4.36 miles. Not too shabby.

I will eventually catch up on reading posts, I sware! Hope everyone's week is going well! :-)

Hello Family,

Cramping bad here, sorry the vent and TMI, but so ready for menopause, hopefully it will hurry up and come to me. The business lunch yesterday did not happened, and it was a breakfast, so I ordered black coffee, and an omelette with onions, mushrooms, spinach, no cheese, no hollandaise sauce.  It looked good when I ate it, but 10 mins into my drive to the office and I had to do an emergency stop. I guess they either used some flour on the mix, I forgot to ask about that, or used too much oil when doing it and I did not digested well. Phewwww that was crazy. But I am seating here with a heating pad, letting my day go by.  Ground lamb patty with greens for lunch today

:-)

Deb - I will look that Coconut Kefir water, and would love to try that lime, cilantro and lemongrass fish cake, that sounds like my kind of ingredients, hope my WF carry the  Red Boat Fish sauce.; On the organs, I am out on that one. I ate too many of them growing up and it was a nasty mental experience.

MeadowLiliy, I would be willing to try the oaxtail in a soup though... delicioso!

Laurie, sorry to hear that diagnostic, but it looks you are weathering the storm the best possible, in my prayers. I have made a few races on behalf of the TNT to support Leukemia research and cure.

Rose, I hear you on those teenagers quick mood and energy transformation, a bunch of eating, and long hours of sleep.

Dave, best of you finishing the negotiation of your contract. I know it can be long and sometimes tedious. I am working on an order myself but modestly just a couple of MM with Taiwan, and it is a lot of work, talking, imagine my Venezuelan accent and their Asian Accent, oh Lord help me, hahaha. I like that part of what I do though. Nail it down Captain

Mimi, Twinks, Rick, Clare and everybody else, have the best day possible. Almost a week yayyy us! Let's stay together and strong. We got this.

My husband fed me this "complaint" recipe called Moo goo pant or something like that, and I ate it to don't waste the food, but I made it clear I will not eat it again, it was some kind of soggy, soppy sliced and cut chicken breast with mushrooms, eeeewwwkkk I did not like that. Have you tried? My hubby is an awesome cook. But that was a nasty one.

Much Love, 

Archived