Meals - how big is "big"?

I'm posting now, at 4:45pm, because this is my food witching hour. My stomach is grumbling audibly. Yes, steamed fish and broccoli sound delightful. Water intake has been great. My meals have seemed ENORMOUS. But I'm consistently starving at this time of day (or have been for the last 4 out of the 9 days of my W30).

Here's my menu for today:

Meal 1: 4 eggs (cooked in ghee), scrambled with spinach, grape tomatoes

Meal 2: large hamburger patty, sweet potato, Brussels sprouts (cooked with ghee), cherries

I'm not exercising tonight, so I didn't plan a mini meal.

Everything is being measured/estimated according to the W30 meal planning guide. I am allergic to nuts (and generally can't eat seeds, because they're frequently processed with nuts).

Help, please!!

Thanks Chris. Is it a timing issue? I eat breakfast around 8:30, lunch around 12:30 (and I'm hungry for it), and then dinner around 7 or 8. Other than the forbidden snacking, I don't have a lot of flexibility on that longer stretch (and I wouldn't want to eat dinner earlier anyway, because then I'd gnaw my arm off by 11!).

Snacks are not forbidden, they just are sometimes a signal that your meals aren't large enough. I have the same stretch between lunch and dinner, and there's no way I can wait that long to eat. 

• Moderators

Thanks Chris. Is it a timing issue? I eat breakfast around 8:30, lunch around 12:30 (and I'm hungry for it), and then dinner around 7 or 8. Other than the forbidden snacking, I don't have a lot of flexibility on that longer stretch (and I wouldn't want to eat dinner earlier anyway, because then I'd gnaw my arm off by 11!).

I have this issue on long days at work, and when I asked, I was told it's fine to eat a mini meal during that long stretch if you're truly hungry. What I try to do is pack a very substantial lunch for work, more than I'll be able to eat at lunch. I eat as much as I want, trying to eat evenly from protein, fat, and veggies, so that there's some of each left over when I'm done. Then I put the leftovers back in the fridge and have them later when I get hungry. You can also pack an extra separate meal if you prefer, but it feels like less work to me to just pack the one extra large meal.

I realized that dinner doesn't have to be at a set time.  We started eating dinner earlier during our whole30.  SInce we removed calories provided by predinner drinks, we were hungry.  Bumping dinner up to an earlier time helped.  It was also nice not to go to bed full.

Thanks guys! I tend to be at work late so I added a small meal to my lunch bag. I'll plan on eating it around 4 or 4:30. That works out especially well today, as I need to run by the store after work and now won't hit the door at whole foods starving!

• 2 weeks later...

Mini meals are awesome if you're a late dinner person. I used to pack large snacks for myself to take to school when I was doing my Master's since I'd usually eat lunch right when I arrived at 12:30, and by the time class let out at 5 I was ready to eat my own arm. I'd eat my snackmeal (not really a snack, not really a meal) before I started the drive home, and since it was a 35 minute drive it was nice and digested enough to get a workout in before assuming my position at the stove to cook dinner.

Archived