I think I'm having too many nuts...what can I swap for snacks?? Help!

Meghan

Hi All,

Today is Day 7 for me and I'm feeling really good. I haven't had any of the "typical"  week-1 issues that they said I might have. I have energy, I'm sleeping well, my digestion seems pretty good, and I'm not really cranky or craving anything. However, I am concerned that I'm not losing any weight. No, I haven't stepped on a scale since Day 0, but I just don't feel any slimmer or lighter. I read in my Whole30 Daily Newsletter today that we need to be careful not to eat too many nuts. I have nuts and/or nut butter at least once per day. I'm a teacher so it makes for a super easy snack. I've been using macadamias and cashew butter as my go to's this week. I have put the cashew butter on broccoli and dipped it in raisins, I've put it on a banana, and I've had the macadamia's with a side of unsweetened applesauce. I've also just grabbed a handful of nuts here and there. No other seeds, seed oils or nut-stuff. Am I having too much?

Can anyone suggest some snacks that DON'T use nuts/nut butters but that are satisfying in that easy, creamy, kinda salty way? :) Or any snacks at all? I'm planning to try making oven-dried beef jerky soon, but not till sometime next week when I have time.

Anything you can share would be so appreciated! Hope everyone is doing well on their journey!

-Meghan

Instead of snacks of fruit and nuts you should have a mini meal following the meal planning template, if you are hungry. Also you need to eat more at your previous meal so you don't need to snack. Check out nom nom paleo, she just posted a weeks worth of lunch box meals. I am sure she has some great ideas.

Hi Meghan - I'm allergic to nuts so none of my meals/mini meals (what you might call a snack) incorporate them. Example - my mini-meal today will be porkitos (http://nomnompaleo.com/post/25437941473/porkitos-a-k-a-crispy-prosciutto-chips) along with a small salad of chopped cucumbers and carrots in a compliant apple cider vinaigrette. The mantra for a mini meal is PROTEIN-FAT-VEGETABLE.

I have a mini meal every day around 4pm. The time expanse between when I eat lunch and when I can eat dinner is usually 7 to 8 hours and there's not a meal large enough to hold me for all that time. The mini meal keeps me from eating mindlessly when I hit the door (since I'm me, I managed to find a way to have the most compliant foods turn into food without brakes - until I asked the forum for help and we came up with my mini meal plan!).

If you want something salty/creamy/easy...I think there are recipes for making ranch out of the homemade mayo...you could dip beef jerky in that, and veggies...(just a thought!)

Meghan, I really loved the nut butters my first time around. I think you'll find that nuts and nut butters aren't really the best option if one of your goals is burning off some extra body fat, because it's easy to overeat them. And psychologically, you may be subbing them in for your food-without-brakes (which might lead to overeating). My sister has always been a salty-snack person and found she was over-doing the salted nuts in place of her old standbys. I'm more of a sugar person, so nut butters were sort of providing that creamy smooth and sweet mouth-factor.

So I've cut them out on subsequent W30, at least on a daily basis. They're okay for me on occasion.

Some of my favorite emergency snacks: a hardboiled egg and jerky, carrots/peppers and guacamole, meatballs (I make a bunch at home and can just grab and go, they're packed full of veggies)

If you find you're snacking daily, you likely want to check your meals against the meal template. You may be too low on the fat/protein amounts recommended. It can take a while to adjust your portions at meals but it gets easier.

• Moderators

Ideally you would not snack at all because you are eating enough at your meals to keep you satisfied. You could drink a cup of herbal tea if you need to do something with your mouth.

A better portable snack would be a can of tuna and some raw baby-cut carrots. Snacking on nuts, nut butters, or fruit is generally counter-productive to weight loss and a bad habit. 

Well, that sucks! I love my fruit and nut snacks, but obviously for the wrong reasons. I thought I was getting the protein/fat combo from them, but I see that I should really be looking at different protein sources. I have a similar situation in that I can't "not snack" b/c I eat lunch at 11am (high school teacher) and I usually only have about 15 minutes to get it into my stomach, and then I don't get home for dinner to close to 7 or 8, so I need something substantial inbetween. I will try the guac and veggies, maybe with some meatballs or jerky, and I love the can o' tuna and veggies idea, too. 

I appreciate all your suggestions and guidance!

Well, that sucks! I love my fruit and nut snacks, but obviously for the wrong reasons. I thought I was getting the protein/fat combo from them, but I see that I should really be looking at different protein sources. I have a similar situation in that I can't "not snack" b/c I eat lunch at 11am (high school teacher) and I usually only have about 15 minutes to get it into my stomach, and then I don't get home for dinner to close to 7 or 8, so I need something substantial inbetween. I will try the guac and veggies, maybe with some meatballs or jerky, and I love the can o' tuna and veggies idea, too. 

I appreciate all your suggestions and guidance!

You should just plan to have another meal similar to your "lunch" at 11. Guac, veggie sticks and meatballs would be perfect (and pretty easy to scoff in a break between classes).

Just an update. I came home today at 9pm after 11+ hours at work and 2 hour band practice and an hour in the car. All I wanted was a banana covered in cashew butter. And I realized that my craving was a bad sign, so instead I opened a can of tuna, drizzled some balsamic and evoo on top, mixed in some chopped tomato, basil and spinach and had that instead. I feel perfectly satisfied! Trying to do days 8-14 without the nuts/but butter as a go to. Thanks for all the encouragement!

• Moderators

It really does work to eat a mini-meal. The difference in how you feel afterwards is huge. You know you just smacked that sugar dragon/snack attack DOWN!

I am an extremely active runner/biker. I frequently had trouble finishing my meal as prescribed by the Meal Template, but I found if I did not eat it all, I would have a snack attack before the 4 hour window was over. So now, I just eat a little more than I feel I really want. I know that way I'm giving the glucagon a chance to go to my fat stores.

Archived