Breakfast--Newbie here

LeighRich

I do eat eggs but get so tired of them sometimes.  Here are things I found helpful during my W30.

Make a complaint soup, stew, salad, casserole or some such that you really like and use it for breakfast.

My favorite is a lemon-thyme chicken and vegetable soup.  It's a delicious and satisfying meal one.

Eat leftovers for breakfast.  Leftover lunch/dinner from yesterday is a great breakfast for today.

During warm weather especially, I love a breakfast salad:  Greens of choice, with chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, other veggies, with sliced chicken or steak (or rolled compliant deli meat, which is hard to find but is out there if you're persistent.), a lemon vinaigrette or the dreamy avocado dressing from ISWF. Delicious start to any day!

Good luck!

I have not started yet, I start Wednesday! But I am used to eating oatmeal for breakfast and I found a decent recipe to sort of mimic it. It is called monkey salad. but I add pumpkin to it. So bananas pumkin pecans and cocunut flakes. I know I am lacking in the protein department for breakfast so i will have to make up for it at lunch or maybe scramble some eggsto have on the side ( sorry i know you dont do eggs just thinking as I am typing)

I have not started yet, I start Wednesday! But I am used to eating oatmeal for breakfast and I found a decent recipe to sort of mimic it. It is called monkey salad. but I add pumpkin to it. So bananas pumkin pecans and cocunut flakes. I know I am lacking in the protein department for breakfast so i will have to make up for it at lunch or maybe scramble some eggsto have on the side ( sorry i know you dont do eggs just thinking as I am typing)

Trying to replicate what you are used to is exactly the wrong thing to do. Follow the meal template at every meal, and save the monkey salad for a small side dish (if you include it at all). http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

I understnd the whole replicating thing.nor do i think of oatmeal when I eat it.I think this is different then like replicating a pancake or a cookies, but thats just my oppinion. Cause I am for sure not calling this oatmeal I have seen the monkey salad in many different people's whole 30 journey's so I think it will ok for breakfast or a snack! ( that is if i add a protein to it!)  I ve had it the past few days and really like it! thank you for the feed back though!

Ok. The whole30 has rules and it has recommendations, and monkey salad--although it gives me pain to say so--monkey salad is technically compliant.

We want more for you, though, and for the other people who come to these boards. We want you to get the most out of the program, and if you want to do that, changing the composition of your meals to meet the meal template is the way to do it. Why scrape by with a  "just barely whole30"? Why not really embrace the whole thing and get the full benefits?

• Moderators

Sarah_rose,

Protein is especially important first thing in the morning. If you don't love eggs, just have a side dish of chicken or tuna or shrimp or canned salmon or sardines or any other meat. It doesn't have to be one dish.

Embrace the weirdness! Soon you'll look back and smile at how you used to be tied to traditional breakfast foods.

Hi Sarah_rose - are you adventurous?  ultrarunnergirl is right on by saying "embrace the weirdness".  LOL.  I'm trying to not think of breakfast as breakfast anymore, but instead as Meal 1.  Which means I can have whatever I want!  I had sauerkraut with my Joe's Special this morning.  Odd - but I loved it.  I think there's an experimental nature to the Whole30 that has big benefits.  The more you think outside of your normal thinking and try something different - the more you may benefit!  Just my 2 cents ;)

My meal one this morning was broccoli, carrots, peppers, onions all sauted up in some ghee, then I added a chopped up leftover hamburger and some salt and pepper...decided it needed something more, so I added a couple tbs of my homemade catsup. Heated it all together and it was delicious with a side of butternut squash. I did a big cookup over the weekend so all the veggies were pre- cooked so it was fast and delicious. When my daughter was doing her first whole 30 she told me some of the meals she was eating for breakfast and I said no way! Now I love it! It's the fuel that gets me going for the day!

I did a big cookup over the weekend so all the veggies were pre- cooked so it was fast and delicious.

I can't believe I never thought of this before... I feel like I spend my life in the kitchen chopping vegetables. What a great idea - a big cook up! That will save so much time, especially when I'm up at 4:30am trying to make breakfast and fit in a workout!

When you pre-cook, how long does it stay "fresh" in your refrigerator? I have three hungry dudes in my house so "leftovers" is sort of a foreign concept.  :blink:

I can't believe I never thought of this before... I feel like I spend my life in the kitchen chopping vegetables. What a great idea - a big cook up! That will save so much time, especially when I'm up at 4:30am trying to make breakfast and fit in a workout!

When you pre-cook, how long does it stay "fresh" in your refrigerator? I have three hungry dudes in my house so "leftovers" is sort of a foreign concept.  :blink:

I tend to do huge veggie & 'emergency protein' cook-ups on the weekend. I steam-sautee veggies in coconut oil (learned about that on some whole30 or paleo blog - throw them in wet for half steam/half sautee) and fill up tupperware to last me through the week. I make A LOT, as I end up eating way more veggies than I ever anticipated. They'll usually last through the week if I don't break down and use them for every single meal.

Sorry I just saw these replies. It took me a few days to give up the monkey salad but I did :) and now I am mixing veggies with eggs and shredded chicken for breakfast! Not sure if I'm ready for saurkraut for breakfast yet but maybe I'll get there!! Thanks for the help :)

Archived