Day 2 Hungry between meals?

Becky_Sharp

What and how much are you eating?

It can take a while to adjust to eating enough to keep you full for 5 hours, but "starving an hour later" sounds like you're not eating anywhere near enough, and probably not enough fat and protein.

The first day I ate

Meal #1

Coffee with coconut milk

An apple dipped in about 3 tablespoons of 100% almond butter

Hard boiled egg

Meal #2

Salad of mixed greens, cucumber, tomatoes, mushrooms, broccolini, sunflower seeds and olive oil and vinegar

I snacked on some olives that afternoon because I was still hungry

Meal #3

Fajita chicken (onion, bell pepper, chicken breast and taco seasoning cooked in coconut oil) in lettuce leaf wraps with salsa and sliced avocado

Today I ate

Meal #1

Coffee with coconut milk

Hard boiled egg

Half a banana spread with almond butter

Half a plain grapefruit

Meal #2

Salad of lettuce, tomato, broccolini, cucumber, sunflower seeds, oil vinegar

About a cup of the fajita chicken pieces leftover from last night

Again I snacked on olives and the other half of my grapefruit

Meal #3 was

Turkey bolognese-- no sugar bacon, onions carrots celery garlic ground turkey cooked in the bacon fat, crushed tomatoes, seasonings

Spaghetti squash

Salad--romaine carrots cuke tomatoes oil vinegar

• Moderators

Your breakfast is very fruit heavy, lacking in vegetables,and short on protein. Follow the meal template, even at breakfast. A serving of eggs is as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand, which is probably three to four.

For me, if my breakfast isn't substantial enough, I'll be hungry all day, no matter how much I eat the rest of the day. That would probably make a big difference for you too.

I agree with Shannon, up it to at least 3 eggs, and add in a few handfuls of vege, and if you've still got room after that, then have your fruit and nut butter.

Your lunch on day 1 doesn't look like it had any protein at all, and how much olive oil did you add in there?

I know the lunch on the first day didn't have protein. I thought there would be hard boiled eggs in the salad bar and I didn't think the lunch meat would be compliant. I do put lots of oil on.

That's why I brought the chicken today.

I think I'm just learning how to do breakfast differently. I'm used to nursing a couple of cups of coffee with vanilla CoffeeMate most of the morning, which keeps me from even feeling hungry until like 10:30, when I usually would eat toast and peanut butter. Then I would eat lunch only an hour of so later.

I have pretty fussy stomach in the morning, although I'm not picky at all in general, and I pretty much have to force myself to choke down my egg. There's really not a lot of time for me to cook in the morning, I'm getting two kids to school and daycare and I usually eat at the cafe at my work (hospital) or bring easy things like fruit and hard boiled eggs. I keep nut butter in the break area where I used to keep peanut butter. They have scrambled eggs in the cafe though, maybe that would be easier, and I can bring salsa and an avocado from home.

No I haven't read the book. I was looking for a way to avoid upping the dosage on my antidepressants and cure my fatigue and joint pain. My friend wanted to do this diet and told me about it, so I read the rules on the website. Then she quit after the first day because she is going through a lot of personal and medical issues. But I want to keep going.

I thought I was doing pretty well but now I feel like I'm doing it all wrong because I'm only going off the website and haven't read the book.

I want to keep at it though.

Nope you're not too far off at all - esp if you've just been winging it!

Would other proteins be more palatable in the mornings? What about chicken soup or something like that?

Keep a log of your meals and how you feel afterwards, as you might find some innocuous things will make your joint pain worse.

• Moderators

It can be challenging to eat first thing in the morning, but eating a substantial breakfast early in your day has a big influence on your hormones. By eating a good meal early, you help to increase your cortisol levels early in the day when they need to be increasing. This sets you up to have cortisol becoming lower near the end of your day, which makes falling asleep at night easier and more durable. And when your hormones get into a good rhythm like this, losing weight is almost effortless. The secret to the Whole30 - although it is really not a secret - is getting your hormones to help you lose weight. 

You absolutely do not need the book to be successful with the Whole30. I completed my first Whole30 in 2010 before the book had been imagined and before all the helps and guidance available on the website had been created. I did a few things back then that we recognize as mistakes now, but succeeded anyway! :)

One thing I suggest to people with aversions to eating first thing in the morning is breaking that meal in two until you can eat the whole thing. Prepare a first meal that fits the template and then get as much of it in as you can making sure that you hit each group (protein, fat, veg) within and hour of waking. Save whatever is leftover and eat 2-3 hours later. I think as your body adjusts you will find it easier to finish the whole meal. Also avoid your coffee until after you have eaten because it can serve as an appetite suppressant. 

Ok, so I think I did better this morning. I felt really sick to my stomach first thing in the morning, and needed something right away, so I had a spoonful of almond butter. That was probably wrong, but it was the most immediate already prepared item with fat and protein that I had.

Then I had two hard boiled eggs with salsa and a side of leftover salad (greens, tomatoes, cucumber, carrots). I couldn't eat another egg. Then I drank my coffee with coconut milk after that. Does that sound like enough fat and protein?

I'm seriously shocked at how much difference the extra egg and eating veggies instead of fruit made.

It is 12:22 and I'm still going strong with no hunger. I am eating at 1:00 since I ate my breakfast around 8:30. Thanks so much for all of the help.

Tomorrow I'm going to try getting up early enough so that I can cook rather than eating in the cafe when I get to work. That way I can eat closer to waking up.

For especially rushed mornings: If you can prepare some soup on the weekend - put it in a travel mug and sip it on the way to work.  Then have some more protein, veg + fat when you get to work.

Please keep in mind that almonds (and other nuts, and nut butters) are not considered to be protein sources, but fat sources.  So do not include them as your protein source.  It's fine to have them.  But there is not enough proteins in them to be considered a protein on a whole 30.  Bacon works the same way.

What I also used to do was make some egg muffins (Just google egg muffin recipes and you should find plenty)  Make sure you take along the equivalent of a minimum of 2 whole eggs.  If you pre-make them along with your mug of soup you have a fantastic grab and go breakfast.

Archived