HELP PLEASE!!! Feeling EXTREMELY uncomfortable!!!!

ambz44

Hello Everyone!

I am almost in tears as I write this. I am on day 14 and feel extremely HUGE and comfortable. Everything is tighter, which is making me extremely depressed. Prior to starting my first Whole30 I led a very clean eating lifestyle. The only thing that I've changed in my diet is no honey or dark chocolate, that is IT!! I thought I would become more lean since I workout 6 days a week religiously at my cross fit gym. 

I have not stepped not the scale and I don't want to. I hate the way I am feeling and want to say screw this! I didn't do this to have my life go back to where it was when I was unhealthy. This is making zero sense to me and it is scaring me. I almost want to go see my doctor.

I am going to finish this thing out but, I have no idea why this is so great. Before I did this I could eat my dark chocolate and my body looked better than the current state it is in. 

I am eating cleaner than ever, yet feel fat/huge....:( 

PLEASE PLEASE give me any thoughts/feedback! I can barely take one more day like this. 

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!!!! 

Sample Daily Meal Schedule 

3 eggs

1 cup vegetable 

Lunch

Spinach salad

palm size protein

1 cup vegetable 

Dinner

1 cup vegetable 

palm size protein 

Snack

Granny smith apple

nick stick turkey 

• Moderators

You are feeling huge, so maybe you will hate what I have to say to you - You are not eating enough. Not nearly enough. Your breakfast looks about the right size and of good composition, but lunch and dinner are too small. And you are not reporting pre- or post-workout meals. When you are doing CrossFit 6 times per week, you are raising your food needs up a great deal. You are not eating enough for someone who is not exercising. You are way away from your needs when factoring in intense exercise.

My guess is that you feel big because you are bloating related to stress. It is extremely stressful to eat less than you need while exercising intensely. Your body responds to this kind of stress by slowing your metabolism. A slower metabolism means that your body holds onto fat and water because it knows you need more than you are consuming and it doesn't want to release anything. As impossible as it sounds, you may really have to eat more in order to satisfy your body so that it will start to let go of fat and water. Or you could reduce your exercise volume dramatically. 

Are you sleeping at least 8 hours per night? Good sleep is critically important and I can't imagine your sleeping adequately when you are not eating enough. How much water are you drinking? We recommend 1/2 ounce per pound of body weight per day. I weigh 190 pounds, so that means I need to drink 85 ounces of water per day. 

Looks like very light eating.  I'm not seeing any of the good kinds of fats in your menu.  

Perhaps, you were very lean before you started the Whole 30.  I don't think of food in terms such as clean vs. dirty eating.  It sets up all kinds of food restrictions and connotations in my mind.  Truthfully, I probably ate twice that amount on my Whole 30.  I know I did.  I don't measure out vegetables or count my calories.   I know I'm eating twice your menu now.  My pants did not tighten.

You're going 6Xweek to Crossfit and are eating on the lean side.  I don't know why your clothes are tighter. How were you eating before and in what kind of amounts? 

I know this is tough for you. I have been in a similar mindset many times. That's why I fear you will not listen to Tom's advice, because I'm sure I wouldn't have. But although it's hard to accept, more (exercise) and less (food) is not always better. Why do you CrossFit 6x a week? I have never done it, but from what I have seen and read about it...it's HARD. Do you feel like if a couple days a week is good for you, then going every day will give you even better results? Do you feel that you are really getting your money's worth by going every day? It seems like you are just putting SO much stress on your body, both with these workouts, with your expectations about this program, and with your anxiety over what's happening to your body right now. I have read over and over that when your body is under great stress like this, your cortisol levels increase and this will show up on your belly.

Why not try CrossFit 2-3x a week, and if you still want to exercise on the other days you can do stuff that's easier on your body...yoga, walking, foam roller/stretching, etc...and absolutely you need to add in pre and post workout meals (they don't have to be huge). I used to think there was no point to exercising if you were just going to eat extra...like it would cancel out the results. But that's not the case. You need to fuel your body properly if you're going to work so hard. And try to manage your stress levels, both emotional and physical...

Thank you all so much for responding! 

I typically eat my breakfast right after my workout. Some mornings I will have some type of protein before such as leftover meat from dinner or Nick's Stick. 

I am still in shock that taking out all the sugar/alcohol/'pale treats' I was consuming before and replacing with vegetables, could cause weight gain. 

I also, listen to my body and eat when I am hungry. No day is the same. I also stop eating after 7pm, because in my mind I don't need to continue to fuel my body if I am simply going to bed. 

Also, I am a lucky girl and sleep like a baby. I ALWAYS get 8 hours of sleep. My boyfriend calls me an old lady for going to bed at 9/930 every night. 

Any other thoughts are greatly appreciated. 

I am still in shock that taking out all the sugar/alcohol/'pale treats' I was consuming before and replacing with vegetables, could cause weight gain. 

This here is what Tom was talking about - you've taken food out of your diet and replaced it with vegetables - nutritious but not calorically dense. Weight for weight, you're not going to get anywhere near the calories from a vege salad that you would from a paleo treat and a cup of tea with honey.

Try adding in proper pre and post-WO foods (fat and protein before, protein and starch after) and try that for a week and see how you go. And add more fat to all of your meals, to give you the energy without stuffing you full.

Oh my that may be it! I've been eating raw and roasted cauliflower like a crazy woman!!!!!!

Other veggies, red cabbage, celery, butternut squash, carrots, broccoli, spinach, tomatoes....I sauté/roast/eat them raw 

Any other tips to get rid of this bloated feeling? 

• Moderators

Oh my that may be it! I've been eating raw and roasted cauliflower like a crazy woman!!!!!!

Other veggies, red cabbage, celery, butternut squash, carrots, broccoli, spinach, tomatoes....I sauté/roast/eat them raw 

Any other tips to get rid of this bloated feeling? 

Definitely scale back if not eliminate raw veggies (especially the cruciferous ones) for a while. Also, you might supplement with some digestive enzymes, drink water only between meals so as not to dilute stomach acid, and deliberately relax. Go for leisurely walks after meals and add some yoga, meditation, and/or deep breathing to your routine.

All of them.  You can eat all of them without worrying about amounts or combinations.   I like to make a huge cookie sheet of roasted vegetables with coconut or macadamia nut oil.  Any left overs you can store in a zippy for your breakfast and lunch the next day.

I add various kinds of squash,  sweet potato and white potato if you like, broccoli, mushrooms, red, yellow, green peppers, snap peas, fresh asparagus, celery, onions, carrots ...anything else you'd like.    I add fresh herbs and finish it off with fresh lemon or lime juice.

Agreed - I'd start with properly fueling your activity and eliminating the broccoli, cauliflower and maybe cabbage from your list. Those are common offenders (I get bloated from broccoli, sadly). But you may find something different for you.

All of them.  You can eat all of them without worrying about amounts or combinations.   I like to make a huge cookie sheet of roasted vegetables with coconut or macadamia nut oil.  Any left overs you can store in a zippy for your breakfast and lunch the next day.

I add various kinds of squash,  sweet potato and white potato if you like, broccoli, mushrooms, red, yellow, green peppers, snap peas, fresh asparagus, celery, onions, carrots ...anything else you'd like.    I add fresh herbs and finish it off with fresh lemon or lime juice.

The ladies below advised me to stay clear of broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage...your thoughts? 

Oh, bummer - I know the feeling of a fridge full of things you want to eat! The good news is that all of those will keep for awhile, so you can take this week "off" from them if you want and if you just bought them, they'll probably still be okay if you want to try reintroducing them next week. (You could also make sauerkraut out of the cabbage. Super easy.) Or you could just try adding the food you need for your workouts, see if that makes a difference, and if you're still out of sorts, try eliminating those vegetables once you're out of them.

Oh, bummer - I know the feeling of a fridge full of things you want to eat! The good news is that all of those will keep for awhile, so you can take this week "off" from them if you want and if you just bought them, they'll probably still be okay if you want to try reintroducing them next week. (You could also make sauerkraut out of the cabbage. Super easy.) Or you could just try adding the food you need for your workouts, see if that makes a difference, and if you're still out of sorts, try eliminating those vegetables once you're out of them.

Thank you soooo much for your kind words Jen! I will try a week away from these veggies :)

The ladies below advised me to stay clear of broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage...your thoughts? 

My thoughts?

Cruciferous vegetables are some of the finest foods on the planet.

• Arugula
  • Bok choy
  • Broccoli
  • Brussels sprouts
  • Cabbage
  • Cauliflower
  • Chinese cabbage
  • Collard greens
  • Daikon radish
  • Horseradish
  • Kale
  • Kohlrabi
  • Land cress
  • Mustard greens
  • Radish
  • Rutabaga
  • Shepherd's purse
  • Turnip
  • Watercress

In terms of conventional nutrients (vitamins, minerals, proteins, carbs, and fats), you cannot find another vegetable group that is as high in vitamin A carotenoids, vitamin C, folic acid, and fiber as the cruciferous vegetables. As a group, the cruciferous vegetables are simply superstars in these conventional nutrient areas.

"The vitamin K content of cruciferous vegetables — especially kale and collards — is fascinating to think about in light of intensive research over the past five years on cancer, inflammation, and cruciferous vegetables. Vitamin K is a conventional nutrient that clearly helps regulate our inflammatory response, including chronic, excessive inflammatory responses that can increase our risk of certain cancers. Studies on cruciferous vegetables and cancer prevention have not typically focused on vitamin K per se, but we suspect that the amazing K content of cruciferous vegetables is definitely related to their cancer-preventive properties through mechanisms involving better control of inflammation.

The astonishing concentration of vitamin A carotenoids in cruciferous vegetables and their unusually high content of vitamin C and manganese are clearly key components in their growing reputation as an antioxidant vegetable group. Scientific interest in the antioxidant function of the cruciferous vegetables has been sufficient to trigger funding of isotope studies on cruciferous vegetables that document the uptake of antioxidants in these foods from our digestive tract into our bloodstream. We've seen studies on 13C-labeled kale that show impressive bioavailability of beta-carotene, lutein, and retinol from this cruciferous vegetable. Significant increases in the blood levels of these key antioxidant nutrients have been seen very quickly in subjects who consume generous amounts of cruciferous vegetables in research studies. ("Generous" in one such study meant consumption of 3 cups of blanched, chopped broccoli during a meal.) The antioxidant richness of cruciferous vegetables has also been explicitly mentioned in several recent studies as one of the strong contributors to the risk-lowering impact of cruciferous vegetables on numerous forms of cancer.

One hundred calories' worth of cruciferous vegetables (about 5-6% of a daily diet) provides about 25-40% of your daily fiber requirement! That fact shows what an incredible bargain cruciferous vegetable are when it comes to fiber. We suspect that it's one of the reasons these vegetables have become increasingly prominent in research studies on diet and digestive support. We may not typically think about cruciferous vegetables when considering digestive disorders or risk of digestive tract cancers, but we should."

If you've not eaten a wide variety of vegetables before...your stomach may be reacting to the new introduction.   It may take some time....but the half has not been told of the rewards from eating every vegetable you  can. ;) 

My thoughts?

Cruciferous vegetables are some of the finest foods on the planet.

• Arugula
  • Bok choy
  • Broccoli
  • Brussels sprouts
  • Cabbage
  • Cauliflower
  • Chinese cabbage
  • Collard greens
  • Daikon radish
  • Horseradish
  • Kale
  • Kohlrabi
  • Land cress
  • Mustard greens
  • Radish
  • Rutabaga
  • Shepherd's purse
  • Turnip
  • Watercress

In terms of conventional nutrients (vitamins, minerals, proteins, carbs, and fats), you cannot find another vegetable group that is as high in vitamin A carotenoids, vitamin C, folic acid, and fiber as the cruciferous vegetables. As a group, the cruciferous vegetables are simply superstars in these conventional nutrient areas.

"The vitamin K content of cruciferous vegetables — especially kale and collards — is fascinating to think about in light of intensive research over the past five years on cancer, inflammation, and cruciferous vegetables. Vitamin K is a conventional nutrient that clearly helps regulate our inflammatory response, including chronic, excessive inflammatory responses that can increase our risk of certain cancers. Studies on cruciferous vegetables and cancer prevention have not typically focused on vitamin K per se, but we suspect that the amazing K content of cruciferous vegetables is definitely related to their cancer-preventive properties through mechanisms involving better control of inflammation.

The astonishing concentration of vitamin A carotenoids in cruciferous vegetables and their unusually high content of vitamin C and manganese are clearly key components in their growing reputation as an antioxidant vegetable group. Scientific interest in the antioxidant function of the cruciferous vegetables has been sufficient to trigger funding of isotope studies on cruciferous vegetables that document the uptake of antioxidants in these foods from our digestive tract into our bloodstream. We've seen studies on 13C-labeled kale that show impressive bioavailability of beta-carotene, lutein, and retinol from this cruciferous vegetable. Significant increases in the blood levels of these key antioxidant nutrients have been seen very quickly in subjects who consume generous amounts of cruciferous vegetables in research studies. ("Generous" in one such study meant consumption of 3 cups of blanched, chopped broccoli during a meal.) The antioxidant richness of cruciferous vegetables has also been explicitly mentioned in several recent studies as one of the strong contributors to the risk-lowering impact of cruciferous vegetables on numerous forms of cancer.

One hundred calories' worth of cruciferous vegetables (about 5-6% of a daily diet) provides about 25-40% of your daily fiber requirement! That fact shows what an incredible bargain cruciferous vegetable are when it comes to fiber. We suspect that it's one of the reasons these vegetables have become increasingly prominent in research studies on diet and digestive support. We may not typically think about cruciferous vegetables when considering digestive disorders or risk of digestive tract cancers, but we should."

If you've not eaten a wide variety of vegetables before...your stomach may be reacting to the new introduction.   It may take some time....but the half has not been told of the rewards from eating every vegetable you  can. ;) 

Thank you for your thoughts! The thing that is killing me is I ate a wide variety of vegetables prior to the Whole30. Before I would make Paleo snacks and indulges in nut butters, dark chocolate, and vodka/club soda on the weekends. This is killing me that my body has gotten larger than prior to starting. Everything I own is tighter and I feel gross! And I hate the way I look right now....I am feeling pretty low again today and quite depressed. I am really bummed that I started this Whole30. I wish I didn't break what wasn't broken.....

I don't think 14 days is enough time to gauge a Whole 30.   Paleo snacks, nut butters, dark chocolate would increase the pant size, but not the menu you've shared.     In 14 days, whatever bloat is there will only be temporary.   Hating the way you look, feeling low and depressed....wishing you didn't break what wasn't broken....

Your avatar reveals a fit woman.  I don't see an ounce of extra weight in your head shot.  I'm wondering why you're being so hard on yourself about weight.

Archived