More Changes to Come

Tina Marie

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Donna good for you !   getting exercise in - is my next dealo !  I have to try and tighten up the loose skin that I now have - you know the underarm "chicken" flaps - yup finally got those !   and I know exercise will certainly improve it.

Yes - thank you for your opinion about the left overs - I think you may be right on point with that.  I did make the pork roast and I think I will go ahead and do you like you did and shred it and freeze it.  There is a recipe on paleomg with shredded pork and waffles made with almond flour and that is what I would like to make but during the week it is a hard to make recipes that are time consuming.  I think tonight I will re-read that recipe and maybe make everything and freeze it so I have a ready meal ( I know waffles freeze wonderfully)

I'm so glad I shared the biscuit recipe -  they really are tasty and definitely give you that "biscuit feel/taste"  - let me know how they hold up to freezing !   when I go to GA I am going to make those for my friend (she is a bread eater ) and I'm trying to convince her to try the whole 30.

You know Tina I always used to think you couldn't tighten that loose part under your arm but you can.  There are certain moves for the triceps and when you build up the bicep even a little it pulls some of that skin tighter. I didn't learn that until i worked with a trainer last year.  So good luck you can do it. Just from my own experience it works a lot better if you get while your younger and try to stay ahead of it.

Hi Lori and Chrissie

Hello everyone, sorry I've been 'missing' a while but I walked into an anxiety state  - totally didn't see it coming, but retrospectively my family tell me they thought I was being a bit ''odd''!   Anyhow, I have got some beta-blockers to stop the heart racing feeling, and some time off work to chill a bit.  I'm afraid this is the time good food should be top of my list but sadly all I crave is carbs - though not too much, I feel full really quickly.  I am exercising though - using the rowing machine,  it burns off some of the adrenaline!  

Take care all, C x

oh Chrissie - I hope you are feeling better soon -  my mom is finally off the beta-blockers so I know what you are going through.  She is doing some homeopathic thing with tea/pills and it has totally helped her heart - even her doc is amazed

well last night I totally went off plan; JUMPED off the wagon into a pizza pie and chips and dip !  No veggies what so ever...I only had slight tummy grumble later in the night - but today I feel ok.

no exercise - will be going to yoga on Saturday and hopefully getting a walk in to - the weather is now NICE !   I MUST start doing yoga  more often - I do feel good after doing it and with all my tight muscles it certainly would help.

Hi there... 

I have to do some changes - my right foot pain has come back with a venegence !   so bad it woke me in the middle of the night last night.  So as I lay awake last night I decided that I must review my food and see what causing the issue.  Left left pain is still at bay ( felt a twinge here or there but nothing that is sticking around)

Since ending the whole 30 - I have been eating crackers - wheat thins or generic version;  pretzel chips, potato chips. a tortilla (from the fajita) tortilla chips.  and yesterday indulged in a muffin..  Oh and ice cream.  None of these seemed to affect my stomach.  I have eaten French onion dip;  veggie cream cheese.  a slice or two of organic cheddar cheese.   some hidden sugars here and there but nothing huge - did have honey in my tea this weekend.

I am thinking that it is the crackers, the chips, the muffin tortillas, - are causing the inflammation -  and I don't want to start my pain pills again - another possible cause for stomach issue as it is a type of ibuprofen.

So back to a whole 30 - or atleast no grains of any sorts.  

The last few days have been almost entirely whole30, foot is feeling a bit better, pain isn't as sharp.  Frustrated that I may have to give up crackers etc... not sure if the rice ones will be ok because of my stomach reaction when I reintro'd rice.   I have had the rice crackers in the past and they taste just fine.   Not sure if I want to even try them..   I may have to just have any crackers for only 1 'meal' and then no more for a couple of days.  I will do a little research and see what else is out there.

Had a migraine yesterday - foot felt better - but the pain went to my head !  did yoga and it helped slightly.... atleast it did not make it worse.  Found some crispy Coconut Rolls at Costco - they are like a dessert.  made with coconut milk, tapioca flour, sesame, sugar, egg and water.   I found myself going back to the bag - over and over... so they had to go into the cupboard !! 

last night I had some sushi - and a big salad hoping my stomach wouldn't be too upset with me for eating the rice.  had a little bit of gurgle in the night but nothing like when I did the rice reintro. 

sometime in the near future I am going to do a formal reintro of cheese.  I really don't miss the cheese except on my tacos, or just having a slice or two when the desire hits me.

Enjoyed a small bowl of French vanilla ice cream last night... been having a headache all week - and this morning was no different, so can't say if the ice cream had any affect on me.    We will see how my foot pain does.  It has been better.  I have an ice cream maker so was contemplating on making some ice cream with coconut milk and found a recipe on www.paleomg.com so that is what I will be making this weekend.

Good Morning !  Last night made chicken and cauliflower Patties - got the recipe from The Chew Daphne made these..  the recipe calls them poppers but I made them into patties    They are DELISH !!!   and as you know me - I didn't have the recipe right in front of me so I made them from memory - but they were pretty close.  made them w30 compliant so instead of soy sauce I used coconut aminos.  My food processor couldn't handle mixing it all together so I just added the ground chicken by hand  (oh and I used a little bit more than 1 lb because there were no pkgs exactly 1 lb )  

here is the recipe

http://abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/recipes/chicken-and-cauliflower-poppers-daphne-oz

so today I decided that I am going to reflect on all the good things that have come from starting my whole 30 on 9/4.   I think that I need a reminder of what I have accomplished vs what still needs to be done.

*The swelling in my hands/legs/feet is gone ....  this is huge for me because I was being told I should start water pills - no way - I have had enough with putting a bandaid on the problem.  Everything hurt at the end of the day, and I was miserable.

*I do sleep better - not a huge change - some people out there are amazed by how much better they sleep.  For me I always slept pretty good except when my back was flaring up.

*I have found out that my body isn't liking crackers, chips, pretzels .. muffins.... all the things I thought I could snack on.

*I LOVED rice prior to w30,  ate it for breakfast lunch and dinner --- it replaced other carbs.   As it turns out - my gut DOES NOT like me to eat rice.  I thought to myself   "why didn't I notice that prior ?  you would think that I would have noticed that years ago..."  A moderator on here put it in perspective
"Moderator Physibeth best described what you are experiencing as this:  Think of it as a friend poking you in the arm for years.  Constantly and consistently.  Then one day they stop.  They stop for 30 days.  Enough for the permanent bruise that was on your arm to heal.  Then after 30 days it starts again.  It hurts.  It's uncomfortable.  You feel the pain now, whereas before you were just "used to it".

*I have started yoga - always felt uncomfortable, my self esteem was in the toilet... but now I am proud that I have gotten to where I am - and trying to keep moving in the right direction.

*My daughters are PROUD of me - for making the choice to get better - FOR MYSELF - no one else.  I deserve to be the healthiest I can be.

*I have not had a single soda - and I have craved a Coke every now and then... almost gave in last week.... because I am post w30, and because I could if I really wanted to.   BUT I have not given in... it is too addictive.  and I don't want to subject my body to that again.

*I can now drink tea without any sweetner !  which is HUGE !  when I started this I tried it - and almost spit it right back out !

*I no longer drink coffee because I only drank it because of the cream and sugar and all the added flavors.  I miss the ritual of drinking coffee... so now I drink tea instead if I go to a coffee house or out for breakfast.

*I no longer need pain medication for my diagnosed Plantar Fascitis, that has gone away entirely !   had a flare up after all the snacks ... so those are off my menu.

*No longer have an achey stomach - like all the time.. my cat would step onto my stomach and it would not be comfortable at all and she is only 7lbs! 

* I can turn down treats with no problem !!

These are my small victories  and I am proud of all of them.

Good Morning, I am writing to you all from the mountain splendor of a cabin in Estes Park, Colorado.  Since the last post I made I am ashamed to say I have been in a really bad food spot.  Instead of asking for help I have just kept eating.  I was so ashamed I couldn't even read your posts.  But Tina, something in your reflection today caught my eye.  I went back and read everything since my last post.  I am hoping it will be my inspiration to begin again.

I don't like the way I feel right now and I don't like the way I see myself in pictures. My gut seems huge.   I too had made progress and now have had a big backslide.  All I can do is start where I am.  It will be difficult to get totally back on a whole regime until I am home, but I can make better choices, and mostly I can go outside and walk everyday in this mountain splendor.  When I get home, I will clean the food up and check in regularly.  

So how did I get off track so far?  I think I just put too much on my plate, and I am not talking only of food.  I stopped journaling, checking in and having meals ready for work days.  Bad habits returned.  Casey entered a crisis, and I think we found out why, she joined the club of womanhood.  The other adventure I embarked on was I signed up for a senior dating site.  I found myself chatting with four people, and though that has been fun, it has sucked my time away.  So in truth I have to find balance.  But most important I need to make time for me to do the healthy habits that improve my center of balance. I know you guys will help.

Tina, you have stayed so strong through this journey that begun at the end of summer.  You can stand tall and proud of your accomplishments.  I am very proud of you!  Donna, your comment about being able to improve the skin hanging on my arms caught my eye.  I did think that was a hopeless cause.  I would like to add back some weight training to my regime.  Chrissie, I am so sorry that you too have been in crisis.  I think that many years of care taking in our profession can take its toll on us in the healing profession.  It seems a good time to really do good things for ourselves.

So in parting, happy spring my friends.  I am asking for your help along this journey.  May the spring warm renew our winter slumber and inspire us to begin again.

Donna - I'm curious if you froze the cauliflower biscuits and how they did with reheating ?? !   I work tonight until 7pm and am going to do some yoga (on my own) when I get home.   even if it is a few poses.

Lori - you post whenever you need to - we are all here for you.    It is difficult when things just get overwhelming.  Please don't suffer alone !    It would be wonderful to be at a cabin,  I hope you enjoy it !

well I don't think the cheese intro went over too well.  My stomach was gurgly all day long.   I only had the cheddar cheese slices and the shredded cheese, which was cheddar jack.  Next on the dairy intro will be yogurt.

So I just heard some news from "so called friends", and I am devasted by what was said...  in the past - I would dive into a bottle and eat my way through what ever is in the house... right now I am sick to my stomach and at work - so I am saved from the bottle... for the moment. 

When I get home tonight...  I will try to remember that I am a new Tina... and the old ways will not do me any good.  

I know I can, I know I can,  I know I can...........

I came home tonight and made a beautiful bowl of zoodles and shrimp.  it was fresh, and hit the spot.  I will be honest - cuz that is the only way to be - I did enjoy a small glass of gin and cranberry juice...   bad time for wanting a drink - but this time even with my bad day today, it wasn't the buzz or the foggy brain that I was craving.  You know that fog that takes away your problems ??  I wanted the drink - I only am having enough for the taste.  I promise.

I have decided that I am going to do a reintro of corn based items... tortillas, corn chips, & corn. and poletta,  I want to see if my problems with inflammation and my feet will be affected by corn based products.    Because when I was eating those things  I was eating a flour tortilla, not sure if the chips were corn or not.  So this aught to help me figure that out.   I think I will have tacos/ egg burrito/ and some polenta with something for dinner.  I like creamed hamburger, so maybe that would taste good over polenta.  I have seen a recipe for a lasagna w/ polenta strips instead of noodles.  Maybe I will try that after my reintro.

good morning.. no ill effect of my small glass of gin and cranberry...On track for M1 - chicken/cauliflower patties and sweet potato, and M2 will be a salad  Going out for dinner with a friend tonight, and have checked out the menu and I should not have problem finding something to eat...  leaning towards scallops or maybe grilled pork chops..... but I do tend to change my mind - so we will see what I end up with.

we are suppose to be getting some snow tonight -  and rain/snow mix tomorrow - I will be so happy when spring really does show up !

Hey Tina!

I am sorry to hear that your "friends" weren't very friendly at all. It is so easy to slip back into bad habits when things are tough emotionally. I am glad to hear that you stayed strong and that you had no ill effects from your drink! We just got a huge winter snow storm but the weather is finally clearing up here so once the sun comes out for you it'll be like a whole new world!!

Hope everything is swell!

so I have discovered that I am now a light weight... went out for dinner last night and after 1 and 1/2 of another glass of cranberry and southern comfort, I was certainly feeling it !

had a pork chop for dinner last night, (it was dry) I'm always leery of chops because they tend to over cook it and sure enough they did.   the mixed veggie was just veggies poured out of a bag (broccoli cuts, cauliflower pieces and soggy carrots)  so it was a rather disappointing dinner.  the company was good so that made up for it.

tomorrow I plan on reintro the corn based items.    I think I will make a burrito for breakfast, nachos for lunch and dinner will be something with polenta

I think I will surf some of the recipes out here and see if there is anything for polenta

so found some polenta recipes on Rachel Ray's website - (I know polenta is not paleo - but still want to see if I have any reaction)  and there is a recipe for pizza !  I think I will try that - if I do not have any reaction after the reintro.

Hi Everyone -  I hope that you guys pop on and let me know what is up with you all.  Chrissie miss your stories !  Lori - I hope you are doing well and feeling ready to tackle the world.  Donna - how is the new club?  workouts still going well ?

Archived