Roll call: November Whole30s!

ladybugger14

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh dairy!! So dairy was my first intro on Wednesday...ummm three days into reintroduction I can honestly say I dont feel well mentally and physically. I honestly was so excited about milk in my coffee but its not that exciting....Tomorrow I'm going back to the whole 30 template but not calling it another whole 30..still havent had alcohol since October 29th and dont have the urge!

Hooray Abigayle & Crazycow! Angledge I'm so happy to have you back and I love hearing all the positive changed that you've made. It sounds like you're really living the whole 30 lifestyle (mindfully choosing what you eat when it's not "on plan.") I hope I someday can be a place where eating certain foods or drinking don't send me spiraling back to the out of control way of living.

Jess - I've been toying with adding dairy for the morning coffee but maybe I'll continue with the frothed coconut milk. I've actually started to enjoy it:)

KayKay- I'm glad the reintroduction is going well. If you're starting again after the holidays maybe you can check in here - it sounds like we have enough people planning to continue chatting and sharing.

Tonight represents my successful completion of the 30 day program! I lost ten pounds but my clothes fit the same. Most exciting is the feeling of pride that comes from eating clean and not relying on sugar and booze to deal with difficult emotions. Still a long way to go so I'm hoping to continue.

I'm kind of afraid that I'll wake up tomorrow and be back to the old me and start the day with muffins. Hope the magic doesn't wear off on day 31......

Heather- congratulations! I was totally freaked out about reintroduction but my sugar/dairy day just showed me dairy isn't really that important to me, and the sugar hangover is not worth it. It has been pretty easy to stay on track because I really don't want to feel bad again. I think you will find the longer you stick with it, the easier it gets. It seems scary at first, but you can do it!

Angledge, thanks for stopping in to say hil! Glad to hear you are doing so well. I made two real attempts at a whole30 before finally finishing this one. You will do better each time you try.

My gluten day is tomorrow. I keep thinking of things I'd like to try, but immediately cancel them if they are very sugary. My kids want beignet for breakfast, which is a really special treat. But the sugar crash after that is just not worth it.

Congratulations on you guys finishing! Seems like you sure learned a lot! And it's funny, I think a lot of us started wanting to shed some weight - but you really learn so much more about food, your body and just listening to it. Weight loss isn't really the goal anymore for me, it's just an added bonus.
The goal for me is to build a normal relationship with food, not an emotional one! 
Food is fuel and food is necessary - but life shouldn't be revolving around it. Food shouldn't be labeled good or bad with how we think about it, feeling guilty and such. Bad food is food that makes your body feel bad - really trying to keep emotions out of my way of eating. It's a battle, but i'm learning more and more! 

Today is day 24 for me - about a week left! I can't believe how much my eating habits have changed already though.
Eating 3 square meals a day really keeps me satisfied. I'll somedays have a snack - but it's just that, a snack!
Before my snacks would turn into a whoooooole lot of grazing and could easily end up on 500-1000 calories. YIKES!
Now my snacks are just a piece of fruits or some nuts or something. Yiiiiiipee for breaking bad habits and making good new ones! 

2babies2kidsmom: yes it is amazing to discover this but im feeling a little sad about it...dont know why. I wish I could say im happy about it but I wouldnt be honest if I said that :) maybe coffee was my crutch? Dont know...its a mental thing for me. Positives though: no alcohol yet, no artificial sweetners, so thats good. But those three days were not nice at all. I started to crave sugar when I had dairy...especially when having milk. The only thing that seemed to be ok was parmesan cheese..but just a little. Ive also discovered I like having the same thing for breakfast during the week. Eggs, sweet potato, green onions, spinach, herbs, and coconut oil. Love it! Im going back to just tea for now...I think coffee and I have to break up :( because our relationship isnt healthy.

Jess, is it the coffee or the milk in the coffee? I bet a lot of people should break up with coffee (me included!).

I woke up with my first sugar headache in months. Took the kids for fro yo last night, which I used to love, but I didn't really love it last night. I'm ok with that, I think. Tonight is our work party and I'm having my first drink in two months. I'll probably feel it after one. Cheap date! :)

Kaykay: its not just coffee because I drank it throughout the whole30 with coconut milk. But I like it better with milk and i drank it black as well on some days. But in the back of my head, I knew I could go back to milk. But I realize I cant because milk isnt my friend. So Im thinking I need a break from coffee..its the only time I drink milk. Until that connection disappears, coffee is out for me. Plus I need to work on my caffeine addiction. I think it effects me more than I realize!

Tonight represents my successful completion of the 30 day program! I lost ten pounds but my clothes fit the same. Most exciting is the feeling of pride that comes from eating clean and not relying on sugar and booze to deal with difficult emotions. Still a long way to go so I'm hoping to continue.

Heather, did you take measurements before and after?  I am so glad I did.  Sometimes we need the concrete proof even though we think our clothes fit the same.  10 pounds is a LOT to have lost - way to go!

A couple reintroduction things I have learned:

Alcohol makes me feel like I am poisoning my body, even though I used to have a glass or two every night.  Ok, maybe it was that I had THREE glasses of wine at my work party last week, along with a piece of cheesecake, but I was seriously useless the following day. No energy.  Wanted to grab for crappy food to feel better (did not give in, though). 

I too have found that dairy really, really makes me feel crappy.  I don't ever want to go back to where I was with it.  Don't think I will.  I am really enjoying continuing with 90% Whole30 eating.  Still choosing new recipes to try.  In fact, I made this Curried Cream of Broccoli Soup last night and it was to die for!!!

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/2345953636/curried-cream-of-broccoli-soup

jgreene - I should have taken measurements but I was so certain that I would ever stay with the program I didn't (and I didn't fill out the goal sheet either.....darn!)  I saw a friend today for the first time and she was really amazed at the difference in how I looked - mentioned my skin (yea) and that I looked thinner.  She is someone who can truly appreciate what a radical step this was for me - we've been best friends since 8th grade so she's seen me struggle with food/sugar for a long time.

It sounds like many of the reintroduced foods have not been worth it - super interesting.  Right now there really isn't anything that I'm missing but I do find myself thinking about having ketchup on my hamburger:)  I haven't been able to find ketchup without sugar and for some reason I'm really wanting it!  

Ugh, I feel so gross. I didn't stick with my no-sugar plan today. I made brownies "for the hubby" and ate a lot of batter. As I was eating it though, it was so sad because it wasn't as good as I remembered. At dinner I ate 3 or 4 crescent rolls and now I am sick at my stomach. I am glad to get back to my new way of eating tomorrow although I know it will be hard dealing with the sugar dragon. Maybe someday I will try a proper reintroduction again, but right now sugar has too much hold over me. I need to keep my diet really clean so I can keep the sugar dragon under control.

Hello team November glad we are still sharing our experience on here, it helps a lot. I lost 6 pounds during the whole30, didnt measure myself before so no idea if I lost inches, clothes feel the same ... The great discovery is that I can do without chocolate and cookies, I had some yesterday and they didn't taste as yummy as I remembered! Too sweet ... Too fake! If anyone had said I would feel this way a month ago I would have suggested they were out of their mind! Bread is another story though ... I will have to stay away from it a bit longer ... As it has an emotional hold on me ... I ate some the other day and afterwards I realised that it wasn't because I liked it it was because of what's going on emotionally in my life at the moment ... It didn't feel good ... I didn't feel good about eating it ... So I decided to do yoga .... And continue to eat the new way unless it is a special occasion. I signed up to do the 30 day yoga challenge, since I was able to finish the whole 30 I can do this challenge as well ... It's free on doyoga.com. All the best to everybody on here

Willow, I know what you mean! It really isn't as good as we remember.

Back on track today but did have some cravings. Man sugar is so wicked! Slight headache now too, not sure what brought it on. I seem to have crappy days after reintroduction days. Tonight I snapped at my mom and then got into an argument with hubby. Also my kids seemed to have a particular knack for driving me nuts today. Coincidence? I think not.

Invented a yummy recipe at dinner. I baked a huge spaghetti squash until tender. Then I mixed it with some chopped cooked turkey (maybe 4 cups?), a garlic clove, a little bit of minced onion, some Italian seasoning, salt and pepper, a handful of fresh spinach, a can of tomato paste, and a can of diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and onions. Baked it all until bubbly. It was almost sweet to me. Served it with olives and raw baby carrots.

Hope everyone has a good day tomorrow.

Ugh, today was a day from hell.  Horrible sugar cravings.  Then my twins went absolutely crazy.  It was literally one thing after another.  As soon as I got one mess cleaned up they'd be in another room making another horrible mess.  All while I was trying to conduct homeschool.  I couldn't handle it and I finally lost it.  I broke open some Christmas M&Ms (my fave) that I had bought for the two big kids.  Of course I totally binged after that.  Ugh.  I feel so gross.  I really don't want to spend the rest of December feeling like this.  

It sounds like many of the reintroduced foods have not been worth it - super interesting.  Right now there really isn't anything that I'm missing but I do find myself thinking about having ketchup on my hamburger:)  I haven't been able to find ketchup without sugar and for some reason I'm really wanting it!

So I had a few treats this weekend (we were away for the weekend) including quite a bit of wheat, which I rarely eat anymore...I drank tons of water yesterday and got lots of sleep last night, and feel great today AND had an amazing workout tonight. I honestly think the extra carbs gave me a boost. I don't usually eat wheat, so I'm back to sweet potatoes and squash this week. But I can't say the reintroduction was totally not worth it in my case.

Ugh, today was a day from hell.  Horrible sugar cravings.  Then my twins went absolutely crazy.  It was literally one thing after another.  As soon as I got one mess cleaned up they'd be in another room making another horrible mess.  All while I was trying to conduct homeschool.  I couldn't handle it and I finally lost it.  I broke open some Christmas M&Ms (my fave) that I had bought for the two big kids.  Of course I totally binged after that.  Ugh.  I feel so gross.  I really don't want to spend the rest of December feeling like this.

My kids have driven me to sugary places too. Forgive yourself and get back on the horse.

Hey ladies- I know most of you have finished your "official" whole30s, and it's great that you still find support on the boards, but I was just realizing that someone who is new to the program might lurk in here and be very confused about the rules! You are welcome to start a new thread in the "your post-whole30 log" section, or, if you prefer, let us know and a moderator can move this thread into that section for you. (I don't know how to move just part of a thread or I would suggest we split it off when the whole30s finished and reintro began). good luck with the rest of your reintros!

Archived