Roll call: November Whole30s!

ladybugger14

2babies2kidsmom I know how you feel, if I know that someone is going to be negative I don't explain, most people are starting to notice my weight loss so they are very interested in what I am doing. Otherwise I just say I made this or that and leave it alone. It can be hard sometimes, luckily I have a lot of friends who are trying

paleo and whole30, I made wings for a party this weekend and they were scarfed down. 

I went off this weekend and felt like crap for two days ate clean yesterday and today and feel so much better. My cousin owns a frozen yogurt shop, but has lots of fresh fruit along with non dairy and no sugar added options, so that will be my treat for today. I haven't been there in a month so I am looking forward to a treat. I have learned a lot from this whole experience, and I will def. be making changes to my diet. 

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh, I am such a head case today! I weighed myself, only lost ten pounds and was expecting to lose at least twelve. Then I started thinking, hmm, what if I went ahead and did a proper reintroduction now? And then do a full whole30 again in January? Now I can't stop thinking about all the things I want to eat! Like hubby's birthday pie.... Argh. I am worried that if I do try to reintroduce stuff it'll have a "what the heck" effect on me, and then I'll just go wild. Guess I need to just keep going as planned...

2babies2kidsmom: people will be negative about what they dont know. People have made comments to me bout this "diet" I on even though I probably eat more than them :) just smile and just say it is something im doing. Enjoy yourself regardless of comments and just decline if you want. We are brought up to never decline food but worry about yourself first. Dont worry about others opinions because frankly who cares and do what is best for you!

Yay day 30!!!

2babies2kidmom: umm 10 pounds? Thats great..seriously! If you lose too quickly it is harder to maintain. And you havent starved yourself! And the scale doesnt tell the whole story :) Reintroduce if you want or continue if you want...if it feels like an obligation, you body will rebel. Feel good about your decision whatever it is...I am definitely doing it again January! Ive decided im adding dairy back tomorrow. I was going to continue a few more days but decided I need a break. Im not going crazy this month though. See everyone in January or on the reintroduction forum!

Ugh, I am such a head case today! I weighed myself, only lost ten pounds and was expecting to lose at least twelve. Then I started thinking, hmm, what if I went ahead and did a proper reintroduction now? And then do a full whole30 again in January? Now I can't stop thinking about all the things I want to eat! Like hubby's birthday pie.... Argh. I am worried that if I do try to reintroduce stuff it'll have a "what the heck" effect on me, and then I'll just go wild. Guess I need to just keep going as planned...

2babies2kidmom: umm 10 pounds? Thats great..seriously! If you lose too quickly it is harder to maintain. And you havent starved yourself! And the scale doesnt tell the whole story :) Reintroduce if you want or continue if you want...if it feels like an obligation, you body will rebel. Feel good about your decision whatever it is...I am definitely doing it again January! Ive decided im adding dairy back tomorrow. I was going to continue a few more days but decided I need a break. Im not going crazy this month though. See everyone in January or on the reintroduction forum!

Absolutely, 2babies2kidmom! Jess in the UK is right: don't let the scale define the success of this whole30 for you. Do you feel better? Do you perform better? Sleep better? Skin, snacking, etc? This time round I didn't even bother weighing myself. I knew my clothing did not fit me right, I knew my energy was shot, I knew what feeling great looked like, so that's what I aimed for. I'm on Day 27 today and I can wear what I couldn't a short month ago. But I've got more to do in January, including get back to my previous activity levels. So for you--celebrate those successes and I will see you in January for sure!  :) 

Wow! I just read the last few pages of this thread; so much has been going on...

A huge CONGRATS to our November W30 grads: you guys are BRILLIANT!

A huge HELLO to our new starters: great to have you here--we're a jolly (and supportive) group!

It's been nice reading what everyone has been eating, I've not logged in days and days here (though I have been marking out on my pinterest boards here and there). Thanksgiving was a blast and totally whole30, bar the pumpkin pie I made for everyone else (and I had some fab pumpkin custard with coconut cream).

Fun story: Had my first food dream of this run last night. I was eating fairycakes (mini cupcakes) over the sink (I don't eat ANYTHING over the sink, weird!) as I was talking to my husband in our kitchen. And not just one: I'd had several before clocking what I'd actually been doing and was then saying "I had FIVE DAYS left!! WHY??" I woke up feeling rather cross with myself until coming to my senses completely. JUST a dream...haha

Happy December all...

Don't think about that number, just remember how great you feel, all the new flavours and dishes you've enjoyed, and how much wonderful sleep you've been getting. Then try to stick to your reintro plan. You've got this! I'll bet that pie isn't s wonderful as you think it will be (ok, homemade pie is generally amazing...but you know what I mean).

Well I have no plans to do a formal reintroduction right now. Just too much anxiety. But I did get some clarity about some things I really want on my birthday (coming up soon). And at some point I might do a dairy reintroduction. It would be soooo nice to be able to get a latte when I am in town.

I found some ideas for some fun paleo finger foods to serve my family on New Year's Eve. Not whole30, but not loaded with gluten and dairy.

The potluck is today and I decided to make NomNom Paleo's spicy tuna patties instead of meatballs. I love the sweetness from the sweet potato. So now I am a little more excited to go.

Also have been enjoying some new (to us) Christmas traditions with the kids. They are finally getting big enough to appreciate it. That really lifts my spirits and is a way for me to de-stress.

Did you happen to take your measurements before and after?  I may have only lost 10 lbs, but I lost several inches around my waist - WAY more important to me! :)

Tried reintroducing some dairy and YUCK! Made me feel horrible, and gave me a stuffy nose, so I am off it again.  Feeling really good keeping around 90% Whole30 through this month and then probably doing another 30 in January.  I have had to be very mindful of not grabbing a bite of this or that in our staff kitchen this week.  Tried 2 tortilla chips yesterday and thought, "Hmmmmm...this will be too easy to get myself off track day after day", so I stopped that as well. Hope you are all hanging in there!!!

Julie

2babiestkids - 10 pounds is fantastic!  Of course we always want to lose more (I know I do!) but it's empowering to have stuck with the program and have something as tangible as weight loss to show.  I didn't measure myself and I wish I had just in case I've lost any inches.  I don't seem to have because everything is fitting the same.  No one has commented that I look different but tomorrow I'll be seeing some people who I haven't seen in a few months so it will be interesting to see if anyone mentions anything to me (that don't know that I am doing the whole 30.)  I did have a ring slip on my finger much easier than usual so I'll count that as a win:)

Day 30 is Friday but I am planning to continue to at least a Whole 45.  I don't feel ready yet to deal with sugar temptation and the only thing I am missing is dairy. 

Heather, I did not measure myself either and now I am kicking myself. I will definitely do that January first.

Well plans changed again, as usual at my house, so I ended up going into town instead of the potluck. Decided since I was going in the store with the Starbucks to do my dairy reintro today. Had a latte first, and it wasn't that great. I only finished it because I wanted to test the dairy. Then I had a mocha frappe on my way out of town. I know I should have tested something with less sugar but oh well. Tonight was ice cream after dinner. It was good but Not super great. I really could live without that stuff. I just need to buckle down tomorrow because I know the sugar dragon has now been awakened. I am excited to test gluten, but I guess I'll wait until after I test non gluten grains first.

Good day all - I started on the 10th, so I'm a way's behind - just wondering if there are others in this thread somewhere around day 21?  We had a nice little thread of 11/10 starters going for awhile, but in the last week all of my mates seem to have jumped ship!    I made it through Thanksgiving so I'm feeling pretty invincible right now, but I need some folks to celebrate my daily successes with!   

Hope you all had a GREAT holiday!

Hey Abigayle - I started on the 13th, so I'm a little behind you! You must only have a couple of days left now - exciting! How is it going? Still good? :) 

Hi everybody!!

I'm still eating pretty much whole30 except for a little bit of sugar here and there in certain things...like salad dressing when we go out to eat. But to be honest I can't bring myself to cook anything thats not whole30! And because I cook 99% of the things I eat its a blessing! I had a tiny bit of ice cream on Thanksgiving with a whole30 "pumpkin" pie and I felt absolutely disgusting afterwards! So no dairy for me! I know I will not be going back to gluten (my mom and dad are GF, and genetically I should not be eating any gluten or dairy!) I plan to be slightly more lenient during the month of December. My long distance boyf is coming to visit and I don't want to be too stressed out on what to order etc, I just want to be able to enjoy time together. Also, my whole30ing caused a little bit of a ruckus at my house on Thanksgiving and my mom felt horrible that she wanted to prepare delicious food for me that was 98% whole30. I realized that hurting her feelings was more hurtful than a little bit of coconut sugar that she added to a cranberry sauce that I made. She is a lovely lovely woman and just wanted to have an amazing Thanksgiving. I felt guilty afterwards but we made up and had a big, delicious Thanksgiving!!!

I am committed to starting another whole30 in January, when the cold and the dreary months come with no excitement! Normally I pack on weight during the winter months (Lack of Vit D, craving carbohydrates etc etc) but I hope that we can all whole30 again!! I truly enjoyed being a part of a group on a mission, and I hope that everyone is preparing for lovely holidays with family and friends!!

I haven't updated in a bit. But I did it! 30 Whole Days! Feeling great. Lost about 8 pounds to boot.

I reintroduced a little dairy and much to my disappointment, experienced a great deal of gastric distress. First, it was a little milk in coffee, that left me gurgling. The next day, it was three small mozzarella balls, that left me doubled over in pain by the end of the day.

I am going to get back on plan and wait a few days before introducing any other foods. I am not ready for gluten, but contemplating brown rice or quinoa next. I have to read mrs on the reintroduction protocol.

Hope everyone else is doing well also! Thanks for all the support!

Hey Abigayle - I started on the 13th, so I'm a little behind you! You must only have a couple of days left now - exciting! How is it going? Still good? :)

I am feeling great!   I actually lost count of what day it was and had to check my diary!  Today is Day 25 for me - so just one more weekend to tackle (complete with a friend's bday dinner at a Hibachi restaurant... looks like I'll be eating sashimi and smuggling in coconut aminos!).   I am not really in any hurry to reintroduce anything... which in and of itself is mind blowing.   I was a straight-up carb addict before this whole30 thing and my tastes have definitely changed.  I have a dinner date on Day 33 - and I'm trying to decide which "NO" to ease up on first.   Probably soy, because in my experience that was the hardest one to be sure the restaurant wasn't using - in a big city like Chicago finding Dairy-Free/Gluten-Free options was never the challenge.   It's the stupid secret-sugar and soy-for-no-reason that really made dining out tough.     Actually, nevermind, I miss alcohol.   That will be what I reintroduce on Day 33 - red wine with my steak.    I can order like Sally one more time  :P

I've been meaning to come up with a formal / scientific-like reintegration plan, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.    I know they have some guidance in the book, but do any of you seasoned whole30 veterans have a guide that you've used in the past?

Wow, this has been a crappy day. Sugar dragon roaring, I am feeling sluggish and crabby. And now I just found out my old cat, who has been my dad's cat for the past ten years, is going to be put down tomorrow. I just don't even know what to think or feel.

Hey peeps!!

Well, I finished my whole30 on Sunday, but just kept going, I'm feeling good so why not?

I ended up losing exactly 5kg (11lbs), thought it might have been more, but slow steady weight loss and an amazing feeling is so much more important to me at this stage! I don't notice my clothes fitting much different really, and silly me forgot to do measurements before starting.

I had some awesome news thismorning, one of the biggest reasons I started whole30 was to get my cholesterol down, and in just 30 days I have managed to bring it down heaps! Still a little above where it needs to be, but it is lower than it was even 2 years ago, and well below where it was in September. My Dr was so impressed, he thought I had seen a nutritionist (which another Dr had referred me to), however I said it was Paleo pretty much and he was so excited. Turns out he is really into eating this way, and even gave me some names of authors and book titles to check out. I think this is going to be my new regular Dr!!

I did accidentally have a bite of bread lastnight... was at a BBQ with sausages on bread and just took a bite without thinking... nearly spat it out! Swallowed that one down, then just had the sausage without the bread ;)

I'm so excited by everyone who is keeping on going, I feel like I've made some huge improvements in the last month, and am very excited. I've got a Christmas party at work tonight which I was thinking I would drink at, but I just don't know if it is worth it - this is huge for me....!

Keep on track everyone, it is so worth it!

Wow, this has been a crappy day. Sugar dragon roaring, I am feeling sluggish and crabby. And now I just found out my old cat, who has been my dad's cat for the past ten years, is going to be put down tomorrow. I just don't even know what to think or feel.

So sorry to hear that!!!  Nothing to take the wind out of your sails like an ailing pet.   Good luck getting through it.   Find some nice way to spoil or comfort yourself that doesn't involve food...easier said than done to be sure, but I like to peruse the "fancy" bath products aisle at Walgreens when I want to treat myself.  Green mud and fizzy bath salts have no calories.

2babies2kids - so sorry to hear about the cat and that you had a yucky food day.

Dish E- that's great news about your cholesterol numbers. A real tangible benefit in addition to everything else.

Tomorrow is day 30 for me but I'm planning to continue a bit longer. Is anyone hanging around or should I try to find a group that is doing a second one? I've loved being part of this group and I'm worried that I'll get discouraged and give up if I don't have people in similar situations.

I'm so happy at all the successes we've experience!

I'm sorry about your kitty, 2babies :(

Thank you all so much. I was just in shock when I wrote that earlier. I did not open any of hubby's chocolate. Stayed on track today. I think the sugar dragon is going back to sleep.

Heather I will be here unless there is somewhere else I should go. I am planning to do a gluten re-intro but I guess it's okay to talk about that here??

Congrats DishE!

This reintroduction has definitely gone better than last time (when I stupidly planned a weekend trip away for the last night of my W30), but I haven't been great at staggering my reintroductions. I've been having cream in my coffee at work (but I stopped buying it for home), and I've had two Quest bars...which is more about my sugar dragon than the whey/dairy. And I accidentally popped a donut hole in my mouth before I was planning to do wheat, but oh well. But overall, I've noticed many good habits have stuck more than the first time around. I still haven't bothered to buy any gum or a Greek yogurt (two of my pre-W30 addictions) and my meals are still mostly compliant, except the odd bit of butter or regular bacon.

Anyway, I'll probably do another round in the new year. I didn't bother weighing myself this time around. I just know how my clothes fit and that did get better. I'm was really trying to focus on my internal hunger cues this time, and I'd definitely say I was successful there.

I hope everyone else finds the success they were seeking!

Tomorrow is day 30 for me but I'm planning to continue a bit longer. Is anyone hanging around or should I try to find a group that is doing a second one? I've loved being part of this group and I'm worried that I'll get discouraged and give up if I don't have people in similar situations.

I think we should definitely keep the thread going (even though I'm a bit of a late comer).   I fully expect days 32-40 to be my most post-worthly.   Have you all read the tongue-in-cheek timeline from the whole9 blog?  http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/  I didn't find it particularly accurate for the first few weeks, but now it's like they are watching me!  I literally had a co-worker say "28 is as good at 30, right?" because I didn't sign up for Monday's bake-off (I'm the office's reigning champ).   But more than anything I'm a little panicky about eating anything non-compliant.   I feel SO much better than I'm sure at least one of the "No!" items is something that I should avoid forever, but I don't know which one, and I don't want to jumble them up.

In other news - my father always said that it takes 21 days to make or break a habit, and I feel like I've just tested and proved that theory!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Hello Team November!

Glad to see so many folks made all the way to Day30 - well done, all of you! As for me, I bailed on Day 22-ish - I had a huge work crisis boil up, then had a bad Saturday, & then had an accidental drive-by of my favorite pizzeria while I was super-hangry. Yeah, a well-reasoned departure.

ANYWAY, I still feel that I have learned so much from the Whole30. I'm still eating NEARLY compliant - even Thanksgiving was quite close (I made my cornbread stuffing because my brother begged for it, & he made a traditional apple pie). Now I'm still eating Whole30 breakfasts, generally Whole30 lunches, & maybe two-thirds Whole30 dinners. The major difference is I'm eating out occasionally without grilling the servers about ingredients. Oh, & I've had a few beers. :-)

I am definitely going to give the full-on, pure Whole30 another go, probably for Lent 2015. I will be SO MUCH better prepared for Round 2, because of what I learned from Round 1. In the meantime, I'm working on getting some more exercise into the mix - I've joined a swim team here in Denver (we did 3,200 yards last night - 1.8 miles!). I'm also increasing my repertoire of Whole30-compliant recipes - and filling my freezer with ready-to-go meals.

Anyway I wanted to come say congratulations to those who made it all the way through. And if anyone wants to do another one, starting on or about February 18, 2015 - I'm sure there will be a Forum thread! Hopefully I'll have as good as team as this one. 

Archived