Ketchup recipe question

beckylynn3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Have you tried it yet? If you do, I'd love to know what you think. I've tried two recipes including the Well Fed 2 one, and neither of them do it for me. I think it may be that I feel about ketchup the way I feel about Ranch dressing - the stuff I liked about it was very specifically the stuff that's the worst for me. So I just don't eat it. But dang, I'd love to find a ketchup recipe that I didn't have to just pretend to like.

I used dates from mine and I agree with @AmyS about it... it's okay, but not the same... although I love the awesome sauce recipe in Well Fed 2, so I make sure I always have some ketchup in order to make awesome sauce... and use it as a base for Cider Vinegar BBQ sauce.

Have you tried it yet? If you do, I'd love to know what you think.

But dang, I'd love to find a ketchup recipe that I didn't have to just pretend to like.

Haven't tried it yet, no.  I'm more of a mustard guy anyway. I haven't been willing to try homemade sriracha either, but I just add garlic & red pepper flakes to stuff and that seems to serve well enough.

>the stuff I liked about it was very specifically the stuff that's the worst for me

That reminds me of a friend of mine: when I showed him how even water-packed tuna has soy in it, he wondered, "dang, maybe I don't even like tuna I just like soy water??" :)

Have you tried it yet? If you do, I'd love to know what you think. I've tried two recipes including the Well Fed 2 one, and neither of them do it for me. I think it may be that I feel about ketchup the way I feel about Ranch dressing - the stuff I liked about it was very specifically the stuff that's the worst for me. So I just don't eat it. But dang, I'd love to find a ketchup recipe that I didn't have to just pretend to like.

I felt the same way about that ketchup, but have you tried the ISWF bbq sauce? It's more like a yummy tomato sauce than a traditional gooey bbq sauce, but it's wonderful. I love it with my eggs and avocado. 

I felt the same way about that ketchup, but have you tried the ISWF bbq sauce? It's more like a yummy tomato sauce than a traditional gooey bbq sauce, but it's wonderful. I love it with my eggs and avocado. 

I haven't tried it yet - I'll have to add it to my list. Thanks!

A couple Filipino places near me use banana ketchup as a condiment.  A quick search turned up this recipe: 

http://glenn-ricafrente.blogspot.com/2014/06/filipino-whole30-eats-banana-sauce.html

I haven't tried it yet, but maybe going for something that's not pretending to be classic tomato ketchup might be a good way to trick your brain into accepting the unfamiliar taste?

(Just a thought.  Now, pardon me while I binge-read this guy's blog and bookmark recipes!)

Archived