Potato chips

chrissyrey

I'm asking for a friend... Actually, asking for a whole bunch of them, and none of us can agree on this, so I thought it best to ask the experts :-) Are potato chips SWYPO, regardless of how they are made? Would roasting slices of white potato until they are crispy and chip-like be SWYPO?

I should add that part of why we're asking is that the rules/SWYPO pages specifically call out "potato chips" as SWYPO, but the "Can I have" says no commercially prepared chips. So we're trying to figure out if ONLY commercially prepared chips are out, or if potato chips in general are out. Thanks :-)

• Administrators

All potato chips that are commercial or deep fried are out.

From the "Can I Have" guide: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole-30/

"....we do not allow frying starchy veggies and turning them into chips during your Whole30. (However if you want to roast some kale until it's crispy, or thinly slice jicama into a scoop for your guacamole, be our guest.)

Therefore, your "roasting until crispy and chip-like" answer would be a no, sorry.

• Administrators

Haha, sorry.  Basically they say no chips, commercial or deep fried. Baking them until crispy is getting around the "deep fried" rule but still creating chips.  So no, they would not be appropriate for your whole30.  You CAN oven roast cubed up potatoes though, we do it about once a week and they are delicious but not quite so "hand to mouth" as the chip.  :)

• Administrators

Hey Heather, the Whole30 is about intentions and emotional connection as much as it's about whether or not certain food items are acceptable.  I'd say if you are looking for a "potato chip culture" made out of zukes, you are circumventing the "change your relationship with food" portion of the program.

I've been wrong before, but I would say dehydrating zucchini to the point that you've made a compliant potato chip would be off limits during your whole30. 

I think what Shanny is trying to say is it depends. Commercially bought chips of any type and deep fried at home chips of any type are clearly against the rules. When it comes to other chip formation is depends on why and how you are consuming. Are you looking for a snack to replace your chips? Then the answer is you should leave them out. Are you looking for another way to enjoy veggies with your meals? Then you are probably OK to use them. 

Whilst talking about formations and I understand why a formation perpetuates the urge to binge or have a SWYPO - there are no crepes or pancakes allowed.   We are restructuring our brains and thoughts about what perpetuates a binge trigger by not having those SWYPO's.

I'm asking on behalf of the waffle iron.   Does a waffle formation perpetuate the urge to have a real one?  

• Moderators

I'd say that depends on your personal context. If you love waffles, probably best to choose a different formation just to be safe. Personally the egg and veggies combo in the waffle iron another poster asked about doesn't sound very tasty to me, but then I like my eggs a little creamier and less cooked than many people.

I'd say that depends on your personal context. If you love waffles, probably best to choose a different formation just to be safe. Personally the egg and veggies combo in the waffle iron another poster asked about doesn't sound very tasty to me, but then I like my eggs a little creamier and less cooked than many people.

I think that's wise. 

Physibeth, I like your answer.  I started making the zuchini chips in attempt to get more veggies in not replace chips.  I will view them as okay until convinced otherwise.  :D

If you find yourself munching on them as snacks then you will have an even clearer answer. For example nuts are perfectly reasonable as added fat to a meal but I don't buy them unless I have a specific meal purpose for them because I find I snack on them if I do. That is my personal context.

It seems like the answer to the original question ("Is it okay to roast slices of potato until they are crispy and chip-like?") would be "Yes, in general it's okay.....unless you are just looking for a junk/snack food substitute or trying to satisfy a craving for potato chips."

The official Whole30 Instagram page shows crispy oven roasted sweet potato fries and oven-roasted carrot fries, as well as oven-roasted plantain, apple, beet, zucchini, and sweet potato "chips". Making a crispy veggie in the oven is not always an effort to get around the "no deep frying" rule and make junk food with compliant ingredients. It can be just another way to cook and enjoy our veggies, as one of the mods says above.

Does this sound correct?

Archived