Chocolate

Bigrig737

• Administrators

Hi Bigrig,

Paleo is not the same as Whole30.  Paleo is a flexible term that can encompass dairy, sweeteners, chocolate etc depending on who is writing the recipe.  You won't find chocolate in a Whole30 recipe...with the exception of cocoa powder (watch for non compliant ingredients like baking powder which tends to have cornstarch in it).  Cocoa powder is used as a spice/seasoning in some chili and pork recipes and that's fine because it's a natural product that isn't sweetened.

Cocoa powder is NOT allowed to be combined with anything like dates and coconut milk or bananas to make a chocolately confection.

Does that help? 

You may want to also read the book It Starts With Food. It helps explain the science behind a whole 30. If you're looking to learn about Paleo in general Everydaypaleo.com is great, google Rob Wolff paleo (he's awesome and super smart), and also look at Mark's Daily Apple (google it). These are great getting started resources.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Moderators

would a moderator please check our Cocoa Manna for me?  It is a good hot chocolate for "cocktail hour" for me...here's the link:

http://www.cocoamannabrew.com/

It looks similar to Crio Bru or Choffy, which are fine. Always check your ingredients and make sure they haven't added anything non-compliant to it.

Thanks a bunch, Ruth and Shannon - I just ordered the sampler kit from Cocoa Manna - and each kind is 100% cocoa from cocoa beans - a couple have some added spices, but nothing non compliant.  I'm using it to replace an afternoon post lunch coffee habit - trying to just plain get off coffee entirely - and sometimes at night for "cocktail hour".  For those with chocolate withdrawal, this is a stiff replacement - but not a substitute for exploring the chocolate addiction :lol: .  If anyone wants to explore: www.cocoamannabrew.com.  I don't work for these guys...just got a sample in Whole Foods a few weeks ago...but still had to purchase online later.

Archived