Full Tilt Boogie

MeadowLily

Hi  Higs.  I watched you fly by the tower.  I'm doing alot of heavy lifting these days.  180 lbs.  Some days my muscles are sore.  I'm doing some strange lifting in some awkward positions.  It  can't be helped.  You know what  I'm talking about.  Glad you're still out there.  I take comfort in that.

sam-elliott-thebiglebowski-1.jpg

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Laurie, I know you're out there.  We're in this together, taking care of our folks. 

Love often.  You never know when it may be your last chance. Here's a song my Paw used to sing for us all of the time.  

Fear is contagious.  You can't show any in times like this.  It spreads like a wildfire and it doesn't help anyone.  I set my will and believe that no family member is heavy.  It works. I've lifted things that were twice my weight.  Ask for help.  Your help will come.

You may grow up to be a fish.  :D  I did.

You could be swinging on a star. 

There's nothing better for metabolic syndrome/thyroid than homemade bone broth.  The 48-72 hour kind, on top of the stove.   We roast our bones in the oven first.   Sometimes we use fish/wildgame bones with our beef bones.  Commercial cooped up chicken bones can't compete with the denser bones.   The greater the bone quality, the higher the nutrition value.  

The pressure cooker version doesn't taste like the 72 hour kind.  Rich.

We do make our own turkey and chicken broth for lighter recipes or soups.   We freeze all broth immediately into 2 or 3 cup servings.   Whatever you do, don't shut it off and on, put in the fridge and take it back out for the stove for several days.   If you have to, use a crock pot and don't overfill.  

There's nothing more healing for all kinds of conditions than homemade bone broth.  Dem bones, dem bones, dem bones.

toscas_detox_bone_broth.jpg

Auto-immune/thyroid.    Bone broth.   The number one healing food.   Old saying, good bone broth can resurrect the 'dead' tired and weak. 

There's a nutri-Doc out here in the sagebrush who recommends 4 or 5 days of nothing but bone broth as a rocket booster for the thyroid and then adds back all of the healing foods of Whole 30.  Bone broth is used at least once aday, thereafter.  It's a good way.  Without whey and you don't have to weigh.  Way good.  

Whey raises your blood sugar in the form of denatured protein powders.  Created in a lab and manufactured in a plant.  Eat real whole foods and you won't have to second guess what's really in that can.

Not much life force left in dried powders that have been run through the cleaners and dryers. You want your bones to be full of resilience and strength.  Strong bones and working thyroids aren't formed from dry powders. 

I don't know if you've heard but there are  powdered cheeses that are full of wood pulp.   One doesn't really know if you're consistently getting denatured protein powder or fillers like wood pulp, pinecones, lawn clippings and old tennis shoes.

Deny.  Deny.  Deny.   And you will fail. 

Whole 30 is only 30 days.   You cannot deny yourself for a Whole 365.   You can try to deny but you will fail.   Why.  Deny.   

It's a super-human feat to attempt that.  It's smart to create your own plan after 30 days that will maintain your baseline of health.  I've watched and observed those who did not know how to go about a reintro process.   They jumped back into the sharky waters, then immediately restarted another Whole 30 and did not do a reintro,  again.    After a few times, some completely disappeared.

Others vowed to do a reintro and find out about themselves.  Food sensitivies or health conditions.

Google is your pal.  Look up black and white thinking.  There are other branches of that, too.  This may require asking for help, sitting down face to face.  Deny.  Deny.  Deny.  And you will fail. 

Everything within a person's being will rebel and reject Deny.  Deny.  Deny.   I'm only talking about food and not other substances.   There are 1000's of vegetables and oodles of heavenly proteins to pick from.  I can eat beautiful berries with/on my meals.  There are other foods that may not affect you at all.  You will have to complete one compliant Whole 30 with a proper reintro to find out. 

Do you know what the cure for dieting is?   Stop restricting.  Stop dieting.   Not because it's a good catchphrase but simply because it works.   Dieting can be the root cause of black and white thinking.  

Do you remember yourself as a child before dieting was ever a part of your life.  You were not eating all the things or taking everyone else's share at the table.  You shared with your family.   There were kisses and love all around.    Go back to that.   

Dieting.  Return to Sender.  It is the root of ruining your relationship with food.   Measuring, counting, weighing.   Turn around.  Go Back.   

You can find your way back home.  It's a good way.  No whey or weigh.   A life without dieting is your pathway to healing.  You want that.  No more hacked up plans, hacking your life to pieces.  You can find your way home.  Put your hands along the canyon walls, stay on the trail.  Don't look back over your shoulder.    

Hi Meadow - I often check in on this thread.  You are very wise.

"Love often.  You never know when it may be your last chance." 

Unfortunately I've experienced this too often - with my dad, Steve and now possibly my mom.

I believe practicing all the 9 topics of the whole 9 makes a great lifestyle.  I need lots of work in most (well, probably all) of the elements.  Food may actually be the easiest for me but the food still needs work.  I have no problem sticking to  whole 30 foods but it's very hard for me to follow the spirit of the W30 - adhering to 3 meals, eating  when not hungry, drink enough water, etc.  Luckily, with all my W30's I have never eaten Larabars and I have never recreated foods that are not allowed.

Hope your dad is feeling better.

Laurie.  You've been through it.  You've been taking great care of your Mom.  What we're going through is not easy. Not a day goes by that I don't think about you.  We're still here.  I know you're out there, 100% in spirit.

You've always been 100% in spirit and Whole 30.  Intelligent and courageous, dedicated and loyal. Friend.  You're a friend to everyone here.  Extra special. That's you. 

When we're caregivers, it's important to keep taking care of ourselves.  I remind myself. You need every ounce of muscle and brawn your body can muster.  Toughness and sometimes it requires burliness. You have to learn how to say NO. 

When you're the Family Commando...physical strength is important.  Power and might.  When everyone is falling apart around you, literally running around in circles because they're so upset, worried and fearful - you have got to step UP to the plate.

Do you think I could have done this without my 2 years of Whole 30 Commando Training.  No.   I don't think so.  I've learned to stand up for myself and others.  

I'm no longer a piece of milk toast swinging on the clothesline.  No one puts baby in a corner. 

It Starts With Food and it ends with food.  You have to keep your power and might.  Hold yourself together like a pair of bookends.   Fear spreads like a wildfire.  You can't go there.  It creates such a thunderstorm of chaos and turmoil. 

I'll keep swinging on a star and eating Fish, Fish, Fish.    The fruits of your Whole 30 labor will pay off. I guarantee it.  One day, you'll have to pull everything out of your Food Bank.  You'll be where Laurie and I are.  Giving everything you've got to help your family out. 

One day, you'll be better paid.   It's a job without wages.  But you don't do it for the money or wages. You do it because the more you give of yourself...the more you have to give.   The well of love runs deep. It is an artesian.   It produces a constant stream of living waters. 

There's a natural pressure that catapults you out the door without a moment's notice.  You have to run and load someone up for the hospital.  You need to remember all of the oxygen tanks and breathing tubes.  You have to lift heavy things that are twice your weight.  

Your friends may be going out for a nice cup of coffee and chatter but you're home watching Gunsmoke and old Western movies.  You're listening to music and asking Alexa to play all of the oldie goldie faves.

Alexa, she's really something.  Her purple light twirls around.  She's a pal when the house is quiet and the folkaronies are napping.

It ain't easy.   We do it out of love.  We're 100% in spirit and Whole 30, too. 

Self-medicating with dieting books/plans and hacks.  Take all of them to the dumpster. 

I had boxes of dieting books stored in the attic.  I don't miss them.  Food Freedom. Free yourself from thinking about another hack or diet.

Before photos.  Threw those out, too.   That made me very happy to get rid of them.  Looking at them made me feel sad SAD about the SAD.  Not one single before photo ever motivated me to make a lasting change.  I felt dread and they got me nowhere good.     I'm free, free, free at last from those Before photos.

Belly selfies.  Won't be any of those either.  :)   I am more than a belly selfie and any Before belly selfie would've  really marshed my mellow.  

My head is free to think about people and new ideas.   I can read about my interests... pleasure, relaxation and fun.  I can completely block out the dieting section in bookstores.   They're a total blur.

I don't hang out in health food stores stuck on the latest miracle cure supplement.  I've given all of those up, too.  I don't have to read alot of labels because I stick to the outside perimeters of the grocery store.   That's where you find all of the whole foods without any labels.  

I'm done with labels, too.  Ayup.   I'm not 80/20 or 90/10  Paleoamerican.   Since I've quit reading books about diets and food thoughts,  I no longer have to worry about fitting into anyone else's boxes or labels or slots.  

I'm going to spend the rest of my life living like I started out with food.  Without a diet or hack.  I took all of my marbles back and went home where it all began.  It really did start with food and love and folks.   Find people who have your best interests at heart.   Find your pathway to healing. 

Sugar alcohols are neither sugar or alcohol.  They're used in artificial sweetners.

Alcohol sugars found in alcohol.   Sugar sugar.  Upside down sugars.  

If you're dipping your toes back into the sharky waters of drinking gin, tequila, whiskey...using it to lower your blood sugar  but you're petrified of a sweet potato,   Hellooooo.  Using a shot of vodka to lower the blood sugar and using the liver to remove the alcohol.  Not letting the left hand know what the right hand is doing.

There are consequences.   Energy drinks, soda pops and alcohol.   

When you hack your food choices into macros, micros and tiny pieces and you deny, deny, deny....as much as you try, it's going to hit the fan.   Limit yourself to 10 food choices or less aday,  you will not keep the doctor or food reckoning away.   

It's coming.  

If you can eat that way for even a few months but fall back into a bottle of gin, vodka, tequila or whiskey every weekend....have you really pulled yourself and blood sugar from the brink.  Falling back into alcohol is not dodging a sugar bender or thrill eating. 

It is a SWIPE-O.  A swapped out version of old habits pulling the wool over your eyes.  You're in for a rough recovery if you use alcohols to replace all carbohydrates and sugar sugars and upside down sugars.   It is another mind warp. 

Whole 30 is a plan that deals with the mind warp the scale throws at us.  Creating a positive food management plan and climbing out of food or alcohol thrill eating benders is transcendent.

A pickle can never go back to being a cucumber.  

Food addictions.   The brain is "pickled" and can never go back to where it can ever touch another carbohydrate food. 

Sitting down face to face, having asked for that help and with the tenets I've learned from Whole 30 has not proved this to be true for me.

Loss of control.    Powerlessness.  

I'm talking about food.  There is no permanent brain damage.   After a 30 day period or longer, the brain can move back to look like the brain of a non-food-user  when the food addict decides to stop using food for self-medicating or emotional eating.  

The brain is not permanently pickled. 

People move in the direction of what will bring them the most happiness out of life.   People can choose to make changes that do not include completely eliminating every food they were used to leaning on for emotional support.

The Whole 30 is a period of 30 days or more that allows you to expand your options and eventually create your own plan that will provide you with a lifestyle that displaces food at the top of your list for Happy Awareness.

A pickle can go back without becoming sliced and diced into a relish. 

dill-pickle-relish-jar.jpg

What does an agreeable pickle always say?  

I relish the idea.  

What do you call the pickle that got run over on the highway?

Road Dill

What is the pickle's favorite game show?

Let's Make a Dill

What do you say to the pickle who's filled with anxiety?

Just Dill

Why doesn't the pickle like a dirt road?

Because it's a jarring experience.

What's the pickle's philosophy of life?

Never a dill moment.

Dill-Pickles_19175.jpg

Homemade pickles are great for a Whole 30,  especially when a body needs the salt or a little vinegar to help with the digestion.  Taking all of the salt out of your food is not a good idea.  They help with sugar cravings, too.

Great pickle juice is like a fine wine.  

Pickle Shine.

Pickle Perrier.

Pickle Power.

betterfromscratch8.jpg

Archived