No honey but dates are ok??

kania0512

Hi,

I understand why honey is not "allowed" on Whole30. It's sugar! What I can't make sense of is why dates are allowed.

On the Whole30 "can I have" page it says that dates are ok to add that hint of sweetness to a sauce. I realize that it also says not to eat them as a treat, but wouldn't honey be a much healthier source of sweetness to add to a sauce than dates? It seems that dates are loaded with sugar and as such are not Whole30 compliant??

Thank you,

Kania

Dates are a great way to add that hint of sweetness to a sauce (like the Char Siu pork from Well Fed), or stuffed with almonds and wrapped in (compliant) bacon as a fancy-schmancy appetizer. - See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.OeAHsKfY.dpuf
Dates are a great way to add that hint of sweetness to a sauce (like the Char Siu pork from Well Fed), or stuffed with almonds and wrapped in (compliant) bacon as a fancy-schmancy appetizer. - See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.OeAHsKfY.dpuf

You've answered your own question.   They are a great way to add sweetness to any dish but should not be eaten by the handfuls.   Dried fruits and nuts by the handfuls will get you nowhere you want to go.  

Dried fruits and nuts should be used for decorations and condiments...not the main attraction.   They're too darned exciting.

You are adding a (whole) fruit for its flavor properties, not adding a sweetener as you would be with honey. In some part it's conceptual, to break the habit of adding sweeteners to your food. And by all means, if you feel like adding dates to a dish means the same thing to you as adding honey, then don't do it.

I've also never seen any evidence that honey is a "much healthier source of sweetness" than dates.  

Dates have their own unique nutritional value, just as all fruits and vegetables do.

I know a beekeeper who supplements their hives with crushed Christmas candy canes.   Many have to do that because of a shortage of flowers.  They'll use candy to make honey.  The nutritional value is next to nothing.  Sad with so much bee colony collapse.  I love bees. 

• 3 weeks later...

[me too, Meadow...and I never know what to do with those leftover candy canes...

quote name=MeadowLily" post="334438" timestamp="1441478166]I know a beekeeper who supplements their hives with crushed Christmas candy canes.   Many have to do that because of a shortage of flowers.  They'll use candy to make honey.  The nutritional value is next to nothing.  Sad with so much bee colony collapse.  I love bees. 

Archived