I have a cold :( what do I do?

• Moderators

Soup, especially made with homemade broth -- you could just drink the broth as well, but soup might help you get more food in, especially if you're one who doesn't feel like eating when you don't feel well.

For vitamin c, you could have an orange with your meal, or add lemon juice to your water or to some hot tea.

Rest.

Eat as well as you can.

If you're truly miserable and need a decongestant or other OTC med, that's okay. Personally, I always try to take the least medicine I can and still function, and I look for meds with the least extra stuff that I don't need. In other words, if your nose is stuffy, you may need a decongestant, but if you're not in pain, you don't need one that's coupled with a pain reliever. But that's just me and my personal philosophy on OTC meds, it's not a Whole30 requirement.

I am going through this as well.

Firstly I second the bone broth and soup.  

Some things that I find that are helping - 1/2 squeezed Lemon, grated ginger, a dash of cayenne, and 1 to 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar.  Pour hot water over this mixture and drink it like tea.

Throat Coat tea - please be sure to check ingredients - not all are compliant

Finally oil of oregano - I will warn you - it tastes absolutely HORRID - but it does knock things out for a bit.

• Administrators

Check out this link: http://whole9life.com/2011/02/stm-feed-a-cold/

The Tom Kha Gai soup that is linked within it is amazing for a cold.  I make it in a large pot and then pour it into large mason jars and drink it all day.

EDIT: the tom kha gai was not linked in that article, here it is: http://www.foodrenegade.com/tom-kha-gai-thai-coconut-soup/

Turmeric Ginger Lemonade

4 cups water
1 tsp. turmeric powder  (or, preferably, a 3-inch strip fresh turmeric root sliced thin)
1 tsp. ginger powder (or, preferably, a 4-inch strip fresh ginger root sliced thin)
lemon slices,or the juice of a full lemon(to taste)  – note: I squeeze the juice of two whole lemons into my concentrated version.
Bring water to a boil on stove top.  Add fresh or powdered spices and reduce to simmer for 8-10min.  Remove from heat and strain through fine strainer or cheese cloth into large glass container.  Squeeze in fresh lemon juice.  You can dilute it if you wish, or just drink it bold and straight!

I love this stuff when I have a cold! I heat it; I drink it room temp; I add ice & drink it cold. Depends on the day & the cold. 

Feel better!

Archived