The Tiger Tots of the CFC

Crimsann

I'm still on an exercise schedule, yay!… A minimum of 30 minutes of some kind of movement, hopefully breaking a sweat, no less than 5 days a week. I throw in a little strength training where I can, but am less consistent with that. I have a few physical therapy exercises I must do fairly regularly to cope, so that's usually in there too. And some occasional stretching, which I could always use more of…

I suggest figuring out ways you can get your ass moving at home, and break exercise into 15 minute blocks. Just start with one 15 minute block (nearly) every day, something simple you can do at home, like running in place or jumping jacks or push-ups, etc. Just get your heart going a little bit. Set a timer and DO IT. In your pajamas if you have to. There are short aerobic workout videos you can look up on YouTube. Put one of those on! Or just put your favorite music on and dance around like a total idiot in your own living room (I do this on the regular, husband has learned to ignore me).

With the "Blocks of 15", exercise seems more achievable, and once you've made a habit of doing that (more days than not), the brain starts to form a new neural network pathway for exercise. It starts EXPECTING you will exercise, it starts sending you the message that it's TIME to exercise! If you've made it easily through a 15 minute block on any given day, and you have time to add another, great! Do it! Then you've got 30 minutes of exercise in for that day, and you haven't even left your own house! Is it the same as a CrossFit workout? Or a heavy duty gym workout? No… But it is something… And that something counts!! You can BUILD on that something!! (Can I get an Amen!?) This is more about changing the habit patterns of your mind, using neurobiology in your favor, then it is about anything else. You simply need to form a new HABIT (consider 21 to 30 days a minimum for doing this).

Print out a blank calendar for the month, and check off your 15 minute blocks (nearly) daily. Turn the 15's into 30s over time, or 45s. Make it a game! Trust me, this helps… I now have a hard time letting a blank day go by, LOL. Good luck!!

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would love to be able to work out at home, but I live in a second floor apartment. I got rid of my treadmill when I moved here (my daughter has it), but I have tons of videos. I love step aerobics, but I have this mental picture of my downstairs neighbor's ceiling crumbling down around her...  :unsure:  Of course, there's no reason I can't do some strength training at home, except my total lack of motivation! Good thing we're starting  some exercise accountability.

I'm still on an exercise schedule, yay!… A minimum of 30 minutes of some kind of movement, hopefully breaking a sweat, no less than 5 days a week. I throw in a little strength training where I can, but am less consistent with that. I have a few physical therapy exercises I must do fairly regularly to cope, so that's usually in there too. And some occasional stretching, which I could always use more of…

I suggest figuring out ways you can get your ass moving at home, and break exercise into 15 minute blocks. Just start with one 15 minute block (nearly) every day, something simple you can do at home, like running in place or jumping jacks or push-ups, etc. Just get your heart going a little bit. Set a timer and DO IT. In your pajamas if you have to. There are short aerobic workout videos you can look up on YouTube. Put one of those on! Or just put your favorite music on and dance around like a total idiot in your own living room (I do this on the regular, husband has learned to ignore me).

With the "Blocks of 15", exercise seems more achievable, and once you've made a habit of doing that (more days than not), the brain starts to form a new neural network pathway for exercise. It starts EXPECTING you will exercise, it starts sending you the message that it's TIME to exercise! If you've made it easily through a 15 minute block on any given day, and you have time to add another, great! Do it! Then you've got 30 minutes of exercise in for that day, and you haven't even left your own house! Is it the same as a CrossFit workout? Or a heavy duty gym workout? No… But it is something… And that something counts!! You can BUILD on that something!! (Can I get an Amen!?) This is more about changing the habit patterns of your mind, using neurobiology in your favor, then it is about anything else. You simply need to form a new HABIT (consider 21 to 30 days a minimum for doing this).

Print out a blank calendar for the month, and check off your 15 minute blocks (nearly) daily. Turn the 15's into 30s over time, or 45s. Make it a game! Trust me, this helps… I now have a hard time letting a blank day go by, LOL. Good luck!!

Vozelle, wow, thanks! This is really helpful advice! The Blocks of 15 really makes sense and makes it more "doable." And the calendar is accounting for yourself! I have not started excersising. This info is encouraging!

Had a rough day but I persevered. I needed to go shopping for food after being home sick for a week. Forunately my husband went. He doesn't mind and I hate shopping. Tonight I made a big dinner with salmon and dill flavored ghee, brocolli and a baked potato.  

I will join you all in some exersize next week when I am off these anti biotics.

So far I have not introduced any non whole thirty foods, except for the babana ice. and that did not have any forbidden food in it. I figure I will wait until I need to. 

Hi there, just checking in quickly. Catching up reading all the posts. Have been doing well food wise, but I am so so scared of the sugar dragon. I've had two squares of crustless pumpkin pie (on separate days) and a half a sunrise muffin today, each with fully compliant meals. I KNOW my cravings have changed because I'm not eating candy and can pass the bags of Halloween and other candy in the store. That is a minor miracle! But I'm still worried that I might go cuckoo one day and fall flat on my face. I do crave spring mix salad...plain or with olives on top, some cukes and I'm a happy camper. That's just a side. Also crave sweet potato and mushrooms and spinach in the morning with my egg and homemade sausage. Now when I even think of commercially made sausage, I get nauseated. Did I switch "addictions"? IDK. But I guess it's okay.

Going out of town this weekend. Road trip. Will be taking hb eggs with. Sardines. Spring mix salad (I snack on it in the car--I used to snack on fries!). Sparkling water. Staying at my cousin's house and will have some control over meals.

Happy to report I'm really doing fine! But I prolly need to join the excerciser club and the no sugar club! Hangin' in with you all!

I would love to be able to work out at home, but I live in a second floor apartment. I got rid of my treadmill when I moved here (my daughter has it), but I have tons of videos. I love step aerobics, but I have this mental picture of my downstairs neighbor's ceiling crumbling down around her...  :unsure:  Of course, there's no reason I can't do some strength training at home, except my total lack of motivation! Good thing we're starting  some exercise accountability.

I started practicing yoga myself when I was living in a second floor apartment so I can totally relate...there is nothing like being "up floor" from someone to make you feel less like the free-spirited dancing queen (ala Vozelle) and more like one of the hippos in Fantasia! 

As you have probably noticed over the course of the last month or so, I am not a natural exercise lover either, but yoga is the one thing I nearly half enjoy so I'm just going to throw that out as an option and make some suggestions.  As someone with a desk job as well, I don't really need the endurance or strength that someone with a more active lifestyle might need.  Which is not to say that I think a more strenuous program would be a waste of my time, but I'm not at that level yet in either time/energy/endurance/any aspect whatsoever.  What is a priority to me is strengthening what I have and retaining as much flexibility as possible.  After a long day of sitting, an hour of what is essentially stretching can feel amazing and it leaves me both mentally and physically refreshed and relaxed, pleasantly but not painfully sore, and usually more at peace. 

It may be just the thing for some of you who aren't ready to hit the pavement or start lifting your own body weight, but want to do something more now.  It also might be the perfect combination of exercise and mood lifter to help combat the winter blues, and is easily (and quietly) done at home in any kind of weather. 

Which, unfortunately, does sort of make it the "no excuse" exercise but I'm trying to gloss over that particular flaw. 

I have found, over the years of dabbling in this, that a lot of people either discount yoga as "not really exercise" or conversely, are intimidated by it having visions of themselves only shy by the salt and mustard of being a pretzel.  As there are a myriad of ways to practice yoga, I'm sure both scenario's are true at times, but there is something for everyone if you are willing to try it out. 

The video I would probably suggest for nearly anyone starting out is this one:  http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Conditioning-Weight-Suzanne-Deason/dp/B00004TKIC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1444357327&sr=8-1&keywords=yoga+conditioning+for+weight+loss

I'm neither an expert, nor particularly widely "read" on these, but what I like about this particular program of all the ones I've tried (aside from the always alluring key words of "weight loss") is the pacing and the modifications.  The video shows four people practicing at four different levels of fitness and flexibility, and I always kind of cheer that their sizes don't line up with their level of flexibility so there is a sort of "you don't need to be a twig to bend" thing going on.  The poses themselves are pretty basic, if you watch it through before trying it you will either be disappointed or relieved to see that there isn't anything obviously complicated about any of these.  Throw in the modifications as needed for bends you can't fully do and I think even the most beginner of beginners would be able to follow the entire hour to some extent.  Getting into the poses is rarely the problem, holding them and breathing deeply while you do so makes them more challenging than they first appear and if you watch the instructor you will see that even at her level there is a certain amount of effort required to hold these positions. 

Try it out and I bet your new favorite words pretty quickly become "inhale, and come up". 

Even having done this program for the entire month (more or less) and having done it many times before though rarely as consistently for as long a stretch (can't resist the pun) I still sort of want to curse a lot during the locust variation when she starts in with that "connect to your breath and find ease in the pose".  Sort of hate that one.  But this is mostly due to my proportions not really allowing my chest to entirely leave the floor without my back being at more of a 90' arc so I always feel sort of inadequate when there is only a millimeter between me and the floor to "come down" to.  I feel like it still challenges me, and I like seeing my own progress as I find myself getting deeper into the poses with less strain and yet still feeling the work it takes. 

I also really like the pacing.  While the program takes an hour, the hour goes pretty fast and yet you aren't going to need several weeks to be able to keep up with lightening fast pose changes because the transitions are slow and steady...each pose building on the last in a very natural progression that allows you to warm up before pushing yourself further.  Some other beginner programs I have tried spend more time talking about what you are going to do next and I get bored waiting to do something else.  This one does most of that chatting while you are in a pose leaving you occasionally wishing she would quit gabbing and let you OUT of the pose already. 

For the modifications, you may need to purchase a few props...namely blocks and a strap, but those are pretty easy to find even at places like Target and not overly expensive.

Anyway, I'm sure it won't suit everyone, but I do think it's something to seriously consider if anything I've said strikes a chord for you....and yes mostly I would just like someone else to gripe with about that locust thingy. 

Who wants to be an insect anyway.   

Vozelle,

Can I just say you rock! Love the exercise advice! Got in an hour of hard core tennis boot camp tonight. Ran walked 2.5 miles and 30 minutes on the bike yesterday. Hoping for a solid workout in the am right after I drop daughter to school bared any work emergencies... Please please please let me not have any. Because I work Sunday afternoons taking orders, Friday am is a little bit of off time. I typically will start work at 10-10:30 am if no meetings... Hoping for a really good hour and a half workout. No tournie this weekend. Going to hit the yard as I have neglected for about the last six weeks. Yard work is hard work so that should count for somethin' :)

We leave for Austin Texas a week from today. Will definitely be bringing my running sneaks :). Gotta dust off the free weights too. Liked your idea of fitting in the fifteen. I am so wiped by the end of day would be nice to get some in early :)

Night ladies. Best, C

Amen! Amen! Amen! (will that do?) :) I want to exercise more, (some) need to exercise more (any) and should do it. So will make some form of commitment and I will join the next 30 day group you suggested, along with that will do exercise daily. Will try to make some form of game out of it and see if I can come up with something different or at least original or at least movement!

I think I may need to join you ladies in your exercise pact!

I've never been a morning person and as much as I love the idea of getting up early in the am to do a workout, it never happens.  I'll do it for a couple days and then the snooze button gets the best of me.  My problem is that I never make exercise a priority in my life and never carve out the time it deserves.  I feel like I do better in the evenings, but my evenings are pretty inconsistent.  I've definitely been more active then ever before, but that's not saying much.  :P

So, just like my decision to do W30...I guess I just have to make a decision to prioritize exercise!

Sigh, I know what you mean. Am with you in that, I used to love to exercise now it is such a major thing to get me moving--and not because I need a crane to do it. Where does this resistance come from? 

I did a dairy reintro yesterday.  No problem with the yogurt at breakfast.  I added vanilla and berries to plain yogurt; not the same as adding some form of sugar.  I questioned if it was worth trading yogurt for a sweet potato and decided it wasn't. I had a wonderful bunless cheeseburger and vegies at lunch followed by a very head-achy afternoon.  Bummer!  I LOVE cheese, or at least I used to. My ice cream choice after dinner was to die for until another headache kicked in.  I was head-achy again today. Three dairies/day won't work but that's not something I would do even before Whole 30.  I'll try cheese or ice cream again in a week or so but only do one dairy in an otherwise fully compliant day.  I had to monitor both those items long before Whole 30 so I'm hoping to be able to eat them occasionally again with no side effects.  We'll see.  The great news is I had absolutely no sugar craving as a result of the fantastic ice cream!  That alone is amazing!

Did my dairy re-intro on Wednesday and other than a little bit of gas in the afternoon, no problems.  I don't plan on eating 3 servings of dairy in a day again, but I am quite happy that I will be happy to have my lattes.   That was my last reintro, and I was planning on my diet for the near future being W30 foods but with a latte in the morning and the occasional GF bread serving.  But the past 2 mornings I haven't even wanted a latte, I've just wanted black coffee.  So yay for that.

I got a burger with a GF bun yesterday for lunch and my work-out this morning was so rough.  Part of me is blaming the bread, but there were other factors that could have played a part too.  First off, DH has been out of town & I don't sleep well when he is gone. I also haven't gone to the boot camp class in 2 weeks, and my personal work-outs are not nearly as intense.  Finally, it's warming up here and this morning was much warmer than my body is currently used to for exercise.  I'm going to pay attention to how my grain consumption is effecting my workouts over the next few weeks so I can make a real decision on how much of those I'll consume going forward.

To whine a bit now:  DH has been offshore for a few days.  He was supposed to be back this afternoon, but I got a voicemail from him this morning that some equipment broke on the rig and his boss asked him to stay out until Sunday to supervise the repairs.  It's actually awesome  that his boss asked him to do this because it shows that he trusts DH with a huge, emergency project.  There is no way boss-man would have trusted DH's predecessor with this task, so that's a yay.  But, it is always disappointing when he doesn't come home.  Especially for the 2-year-old who is missing her Daddy.  And she started throwing up a little while ago, so boo for now having to take care of a sick kiddo alone.

To add my two cents to @vozelle's advice on exercising:  When I get in a slump, sometimes I just have to tell myself that I am not allowed to go to sleep at night until I get my work out in.  So, if it ends up being 10PM and I haven't done any exercise yet, I accept that I have to do it.  In that case it usually is just a 15 minute light exercise session like yoga or pilates.  Then I mark it in my calendar & go to bed.  I don't like doing it late at night like that (particularly when I want a glass of wine, but have to forgo because I haven't exercised yet), so it gets me motivated to do it earlier.  Marking working out in my planner is a huge motivator for me too, I like seeing that I've accomplished that every day.  If I don't write it down, it almost feels like it didn't happen because I didn't get "credit" for it.  You know, in the calendar no one looks at except me.

In addition to her recommendation for Yoga, I had a Tai Chi video I did for a while.  It got lost in a move, but it was a really nice no-impact way to get moving and it really made my body feel good.

I currently purchased and read The New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women and I am pretty excited about starting a weight lifting routine.  Just need to figure out how I'm going to schedule that into my week.  My apartment building has a gym, but figuring out childcare is tricky, especially when DH is traveling.  His program really only requires lifting twice a week, so I should be able to figure it out somehow.  Or if I buy a car I can join a gym that has childcare, but I don't know of any that are within walking/biking distance of our apartment.

My apartment building has a gym, but figuring out childcare is tricky, especially when DH is traveling.  His program really only requires lifting twice a week, so I should be able to figure it out somehow.  Or if I buy a car I can join a gym that has childcare, but I don't know of any that are within walking/biking distance of our apartment.

Just an idea, I don't know how friendly your building is but perhaps there is someone else with a toddler that wants to use the gym too? You could take in turns to watch the kids while the other goes to workout.....

So far I've reintroduced rice and relaxed on the rules about bought sausages- only effect so far has been constipation but having looked at my food diary I also noticed a distinct lack of fibre so sorted that out yesterday and ahem,  :P all good this morning lol! I'm being really careful after my messed up reintro last time- I have no wish to include dairy in my diet and haven't missed sugar at all, I wasn't even that bothered by the sausages even though I thought I'd really missed them so think I'll stick with whole 30 with the odd bit of rice thrown in occasionally.

Despite my resistance to working out, I really do love it! I just can't figure out why it's so hard to actually do it. I bump up the font size on my Kindle so I can read while I'm on the treadmill - so it's not like I'm torturing myself...

Thanks Crimsann, I just ordered this DVD, I like the idea of 4 levels of modification as I am as flexible as a steel rod! I've tried 'beginners' yoga classes and have always been left feeling frustrated as the instructors don't believe me when I say I have no flexibility and their modifications are always way too advanced for poor little inflexible me!

Anyway the thing that clinched it was this 1 star review on Amazon: The worst buy ever... even a 90 year old granny can do better than what is shown.. unbelievable rubbish, this DVD is a waste of time and money full of blabla and silly slow music and ridiculous backgrounds... forget it

Hee hee, 90 year old granny- sounds about my level, and silly slow music and ridiculous backgrounds sounds both relaxing and entertaining!

Despite my resistance to working out, I really do love it! I just can't figure out why it's so hard to actually do it. I bump up the font size on my Kindle so I can read while I'm on the treadmill - so it's not like I'm torturing myself...

Hey NancyW,  I am an avid walker and runner and can't stand the treadmill.  I love to read, too, but can't walk or run on that darn treadmill no matter how good the book.  

Maybe you would enjoy taking a walk outside in the fresh air.  Nature whether it be city or country is so refreshing to me.  There's a saying in this area of the country (Northeast US) that there is no such thing as poor weather, only poor clothing choices.  So in the summer, I wear a tank and shorts and in the winter I wear my snow pants if I have to and I get outside to walk or run every single day.  And I have a hood for rain too!  Just a suggestion...  ;)

Happy Friday.

Hi everyone!!  Sorry I've been MIA...I have some fun/crazy news to share...

Earlier this week, I found out that I am pregnant!   :o  :rolleyes:  :)   I have not announced it to my family but the fiance and I both know.  It's been so shocking to think about as I am only five weeks along, so I have avoided to hoopla of telling EVERYONE, but I definitely wanted to share it with my Whole30 Family.  Turns out that after trying for nearly a year, I managed to conceive while on the Whole30 In September!  Coincidence?!?  I think not  ;)  :P .  

I'm starting to research doing another round while on my little baby journey.  This is my first child so I'm definitely frightened but excited!!  I really want to stay in touch with everyone to get even MORE recipe ideas and assistance. 

Thank you all for being such awesome supporters!!  :D  :D  :D  :D

Earlier this week, I found out that I am pregnant!   :o  :rolleyes:  :)

Whaaaaaat?!?!  We are going to be Whole30 Aunties!!!  (and an Uncle or two!)

Now, I'm off to figure out how we are going to pull off a virtual Tiger Tot baby shower.  There is going to be a way.  And I am going to find it.

Whaaaaaat?!?!  We are going to be Whole30 Aunties!!!  (and an Uncle or two!)

Now, I'm off to figure out how we are going to pull off a virtual Tiger Tot baby shower.  There is going to be a way.  And I am going to find it.

HAHA yes you all are!!   :wub:   Be ready for me to post grumpy posts, too lol.

I found out that I am pregnant!   :o  :rolleyes:  :) ...Turns out that after trying for nearly a year, I managed to conceive while on the Whole30 In September!  Coincidence?!?  I think not  ;)... 

Congrats!!!!! Definitely NOT a coincidence!! (if you want some of the scientific low-down on that, read Robb Wolf's "The Paleo Solution")

Earlier this week, I found out that I am pregnant!   :o  :rolleyes:  :)   I have not announced it to my family but the fiance and I both know.  It's been so shocking to think about as I am only five weeks along, so I have avoided to hoopla of telling EVERYONE, but I definitely wanted to share it with my Whole30 Family.  Turns out that after trying for nearly a year, I managed to conceive while on the Whole30 In September!  Coincidence?!?  I think not  ;)  :P .  

I'm starting to research doing another round while on my little baby journey.  This is my first child so I'm definitely frightened but excited!!  I really want to stay in touch with everyone to get even MORE recipe ideas and assistance. 

Thank you all for being such awesome supporters!!  :D  :D  :D  :D

OOOOH, huge congratulations. You are doing the best thing for your baby with your nutrition--what great parents you already are. Huge hugs.

Archived