wheres my paleo poops?

katie_g

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Trying Whole30 for the first time. I'm on Day 8 and feeling like you did! It's just...a mess. Also, my poop has been several different colors since I start, which has been alarming, to say the least!! Did it get better for you after you wrote this??

• 2 weeks later...

my poops have been dark green probably from the kale and veggies.  theyre also smeary.  if youre interested, theyre  soft serve with a weird consistency, I can see specks of food in them too! most days I have a little poop.  occasionally it will be grand and a relief!  but theyre ...different.

my poops have been dark green probably from the kale and veggies.  theyre also smeary.  if youre interested, theyre  soft serve with a weird consistency, I can see specks of food in them too! most days I have a little poop.  occasionally it will be grand and a relief!  but theyre ...different.

Are you eating a lot of raw veg?  Many people find that they don't digest raw vegetables that well.  I know I don't.

• 1 month later...

I can totally relate.  My entire family is doing the Whole30. Husband still has paleo poops, I have the soft serve thing going on.  We're at day 9 and this has been the case for me since about day 2.  We're eating pretty much the same thing.  Frustrating, to say the least!!!

So glad to see this poop topic so graphic. I have been constipated and have to work my bumm off to have a poop on Whole 30. I eat loads of starchy and green veg, well cooked, not raw, epsom salts for magnesium, yoga moves, walking, water, fermented foods for microbe infusion. I have not been constipated since going off gluten 5 years ago. I want my clean, easy regular bowel movements back. So adding back brown rice first, I think. Hope I can eat it post whole 30. I am fed up with this part of whole 30. If I went to a whole 60 someday (can't this time cause of travel coming up), would that work things out?

For people who are happy with whole 30 bowel function, what is YOUR secret, and it is unique to you, or will it work for others?

PS. I am coming from a clean diet, organic, local, home-grown, non gmo, gluten free, so I am not adjusting from processed or junk food, just cleaning out the inflammatories and sugars. 

I have learned and practiced for years a very simple method of having very clean bowel movements. Take 2 tablespoons of whole flaxseed, put in a cup fill with water(let sit overnight) it will become gelatinous.In the morning drink it (no chewing...just slosh it down)if constipation is really bad or for a long time start doing it both day and night.Note:many people freak at the consistency, it has no taste,so stir and just gulp it down.Make sure the flax seeds are whole and do not chew...it is the secreation of the soaked seeds that ensures the cleansing, cooling and "sweeping" of the large intestine.Think "13 inches in one clean push" and of course Whole30 compliant.

Mamamondo, or anyone else, I have my flax seeds. My question: should I start with a smaller amount, say 1 Tablespoon or even less and work up to the optimum amount for my system? 

I'd hate to create a disaster by dumping too many flaxseeds in an unready colon! Thanks in advance. 

My poo has been off and on. Thank goodness for cottonelle wet wipes. But at least they are every day or every other day unlike going 4-5 days without one pre Paleo/Whole30. 

I do have intestinal issues related to gall bladder disease though and notice that I don't digest raw veggies well at all. I was backed up in the beginning, but added in the digestive enzyme and that really helped me a ton. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking for a poop thread and am so glad I found this! I'm having soft/almost diarrhea stool yesterday and today. I'm on day 3 right now of Whole 30. I didn't eat a ton of crap beforehand, lots of veggies, well cooked, etc. But I definitely have a tendency toward IBS (ranging between I have to go NOW to diarrhea), so I'm no stranger weird poops.

Flaxseed and I are good friends, so maybe I'll give that a shot! My naturopath recommended that to me a few years ago. I'm also considering investing again in a high quality probiotic to see if that also helps heal my gut.

What is the difference between paleo poops and Whole30 poops? What are the foods you're eating on paleo and not on Whole30?

I know someone who is convinced that Whole30 is bad for him because his poops are bad.  Therefore, it's better to eat and drink the typical junk food that seems to produce good poops.  

And, if one Whole30's for long enough, will things firm up?

Thank you so much for this poopy thread! I just sent Melissa a question about this because I was getting concerned about my consistent little diarrhea poops. Please let me know that "this too shall pass"... Does anyone else get burning bottom along with these "Whole30 poops"?  What have you found to relieve it?

Thank you!! ;)

• Moderators

Thank you so much for this poopy thread! I just sent Melissa a question about this because I was getting concerned about my consistent little diarrhea poops. Please let me know that "this too shall pass"... Does anyone else get burning bottom along with these "Whole30 poops"?  What have you found to relieve it?

Thank you!! ;)

Feel free to open a thread in the troubleshooting category and list out a few days of what you've been eating (specific food items, portion sizes) as well as what your fluid intake is... that will help us troubleshoot for you... 

I know someone who is convinced that Whole30 is bad for him because his poops are bad.  Therefore, it's better to eat and drink the typical junk food that seems to produce good poops.  

And, if one Whole30's for long enough, will things firm up?

If you're (or he) is having trouble, best to post in Troubleshooting (as Sugarcube suggests).

Thank you!! ;)

So I specifically logged on today hoping to find this, thank goodness. I do not remember this from my last round.. I remember nice and firm and well runny and diarrhea is not fun at all.. hoping it will pass. I am only on day 4 but today seems better than yesterday. AMEN for flushable wipes

• Moderators

Help! I'm the opposite. I've been so constipated. I'm on day 8 today and have maybe had 2 bowel movements (not as large as normal)...and normally I have one daily!?

What am I doing wrong?!

If you would like us to troubleshoot for you, we would need to know what you've been eating in specific quantities with specifics about types of vegetables, protein and fat as well as fluid intake.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I did a W30 a year and half ago and now I am doing another one.  (I fell off the clean eating wagon due to many stressors and having a therapist, whom I still see and love, telling me it was ok to stress eat in those bottom of the barrel moments.  I'd probably do it again if things got that bad, but that's for another thread.)  I noticed the same awful poops in the first week and one of my bosses pointed out that coconut milk can make you go if you have too much of it.  I do love adding coconut milk to coffee or chai and I cook with it or top my sweet potatoes with it.  I became more conscious of when I use it due to that little tidbit of info.  I have noticed things firming up since I took that into account and I also am aware of how much protein I eat.  Personally I tend to not eat enough of it and I eat lots of veggies due to living with vegetarians.  Fiber is not a problem for me.  I think as time wears on the intestinal system will adjust to the better eating habits.  Just my two cents.

Archived