Brewer5: A Fresh Start

Brewer5

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh no, the potato joke was separate from pointing out the Carl's Jr./Hardee's connection :D

Having lived both on the west coast and the midwest, regional branding has always seemed weird to me ... Best Foods/Hellman's, Dreyer's/Edy's, etc.

What's weird is that things are not always the same -- Best Foods and Hellman's are a great example of this, so funny you brought it up.

Best Foods real mayonnaise is approved.

Hellman's is not, because they refuse to disclose what is in their "natural flavors".

"The more you know", as the saying goes!

And the reality is that we should not be eating either of them, and rarely do.  

The very first post in the newsletter was ALL about soybean oil -- which is not excluded from the program, but it was all about how bad it is for us, particularly in obesity studies with mice.  They put it up against coconut oil (which to us is like, DUH) and also up against HFCS -- and the weight gain for the soybean oil mice was SO much higher than all the rest.

Is it backwards on purpose? Ya, sizing can be tough ... my dad got me a t-shirt for Christmas, but used the wrong Amazon link so it's an XL instead of a M ... but since it's Amazon it wouldn't really be worth it to return it. I dunno.

I saw the new Star Wars movie a couple days ago --- it was fun!

I just had to look down at my shirt like, "Whaaat?"    :huh:   I took the pic in the bathroom mirror.  It's not backwards IRL.   :lol:

I don't know how returns/exchanges work when someone has sent you a gift.  But often, they are free with clothes and shoes from Amazon.  Your dad should be able to process the return, YOU can print the return label and send it back...  He could order you a new one.  I've had to exchange some shoes, then return some shoes, etc. with them this year.  It wasn't too bad.  

BUT I just had to try to return a toy car -- I ordered the wrong one -- and it was not going well.  Long story short, I complained to customer service about what was going on, and they told me to keep the car ($21) and they would go ahead and give me a FULL refund.  So that was worth it!

We are going to see Star Wars January 8th for my youngest's birthday.  I just had to try out my nerdy sweatshirt tonight to make sure it is quite nerdy enough for the show.

So -- I just realized it's a Leap Year!  

Miles still equal out to about 5.5 per day.

I have that set as my goal, and turns out I had to set a step goal of 14,000 steps to get there. 

I've made both of those for today -- and it's only 11:30 pm!    Wow...  I've got so much time to relax... what am I going to do with myself now?!    

:lol: 

I just realized Brewer asked me a few days ago what I think of the Ketonix.  

Honestly?  I think it's a massive waste of money.  I'm very disappointed with it.  The software is super confusing, and it's not worth the price.  I haven't used it in a week.  I think I should have gone with blood testing and just done it every so often to save money on strips.  Still considering that.  

At one point, I considered upgrading so I could have the nifty software -- I like charts, comparisons, etc.   But the price was just too hefty.  

If I can make myself measure blood ketones only once per week, that's under $4.00 (not figuring in the cost of the meter).  I can handle that.

I just realized Brewer asked me a few days ago what I think of the Ketonix.  

Honestly?  I think it's a massive waste of money.  I'm very disappointed with it.  The software is super confusing, and it's not worth the price.  I haven't used it in a week.  I think I should have gone with blood testing and just done it every so often to save money on strips.  Still considering that.  

Interesting. So can you get an accurate reading? But then the software makes it too hard to interpret the reading?

So -- I just realized it's a Leap Year!  

Miles still equal out to about 5.5 per day.

I have that set as my goal, and turns out I had to set a step goal of 14,000 steps to get there. 

I've made both of those for today -- and it's only 11:30 pm!    Wow...  I've got so much time to relax... what am I going to do with myself now?!    

:lol: 

We realized it's a leap year last night, too. But like you said, it doesn't end up making a lot of difference. :)

I'm 6 feet tall, so my steps = about 11,600 to reach 5.5 miles/day. I hit 6.25 miles yesterday. I think it will feel good to have a little padding bc there will likely end up being some days somewhere in there where it's much harder to make 5.5 miles. 

Has anyone here tried sacha inchi?

AKA "Inca Peanuts" or "Inca Nuts" -- but technically a seed, not a nut.

This is the first time I have ever seen a nut or seed that is a complete protein.  We're going to give them a try.

"Sacha Inchi's benefits for health and nutrition have been widely publicized recently, especially by medical personality Dr. Oz, who lists it as his best snack for weight loss. Medical studies have shown that Sacha Inchi's high concentration and proper balance of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids reduces the risk of heart disease, and its fats are largely monounsaturated and polyunsaturated. Finally, as a complete protein, Inca Peanuts contain every amino acid."

I thought to myself after I posted, that someone (probably you) would have to say something to me about nuts & seeds.

I am shopping on nuts.com today for my son, who has to get back to Feingold, after some pretty shitty Holiday repercussions.  But thanks for your concern.  I'm good.  ;)

Interesting. So can you get an accurate reading? But then the software makes it too hard to interpret the reading?

Well, it's a little more complicated than that.  The first problem I've identified is that once the device boots up, it is supposed to be ready to take a reading as long as the blue light is steady.  I have a steady blue light, but bizarre "readings" showing on the software before I've even blown.  I have to sit there a lot of extra time, and wait for the number to reach zero.  If I blow before the software shows a reading of zero (despite the steady blue light), I get inflated readings. (See picture #1)

My second issue with the device is that there are THREE programmable settings.  "Standard." "Nutritional" and "Sport."  The instructions only mention standard and sport.  To complicate matters further, it allows you to customize your threshold for blue, green, yellow or red readings.  Why the hell you would need this or what purpose it serves is beyond me.  So, on "standard," it shows I'm making ketones in the yellow zone. (See picture #2) On "nutritional," (which would seem like the reading we should be using, yes?), I am barely making ketones in the green zone.  (See picture #3)

Either I'm a technological luddite (I don't tend to think of myself that way), or this device and its software has some serious flaws.  The ones I've mentioned here are just the start.  For example, it's impossible to tell when to stop blowing (other than the recommended 10-15 seconds).  Sometimes it shows "analyzing" after you're barely blowing, other times it takes much longer.  And the device itself will start lighting up when blowing at different intervals.  I am all about reliability, consistency, and reproducible results.  That's "good science."  I'm pretty unhappy with it.  

post-80182-0-51657700-1451760852_thumb.p

post-80182-0-91616300-1451760871_thumb.p

post-80182-0-43258500-1451760892_thumb.p

Either I'm a technological luddite (I don't tend to think of myself that way),

Screen caps with cropped borders definitely take you out of Luddite territory! :)

I posted your issues on another forum I'm on, so hopefully we'll get some good feedback.

I've been hemming-and-hawing about getting one of these devices, so I'm glad you've brought this up.

Well, it's a little more complicated than that.  The first problem I've identified is that once the device boots up, it is supposed to be ready to take a reading as long as the blue light is steady.  I have a steady blue light, but bizarre "readings" showing on the software before I've even blown.  I have to sit there a lot of extra time, and wait for the number to reach zero.  If I blow before the software shows a reading of zero (despite the steady blue light), I get inflated readings. (See picture #1)

My second issue with the device is that there are THREE programmable settings.  "Standard." "Nutritional" and "Sport."  The instructions only mention standard and sport.  To complicate matters further, it allows you to customize your threshold for blue, green, yellow or red readings.  Why the hell you would need this or what purpose it serves is beyond me.  So, on "standard," it shows I'm making ketones in the yellow zone. (See picture #2) On "nutritional," (which would seem like the reading we should be using, yes?), I am barely making ketones in the green zone.  (See picture #3)

Either I'm a technological luddite (I don't tend to think of myself that way), or this device and its software has some serious flaws.  The ones I've mentioned here are just the start.  For example, it's impossible to tell when to stop blowing (other than the recommended 10-15 seconds).  Sometimes it shows "analyzing" after you're barely blowing, other times it takes much longer.  And the device itself will start lighting up when blowing at different intervals.  I am all about reliability, consistency, and reproducible results.  That's "good science."  I'm pretty unhappy with it.  

This sounds frustrating... 

Screen caps with cropped borders definitely take you out of Luddite territory! :)

I posted your issues on another forum I'm on, so hopefully we'll get some good feedback.

I've been hemming-and-hawing about getting one of these devices, so I'm glad you've brought this up.

Thanks for doing that. I've been hemming and hawing about getting one, also. So far, from what Jess and Brewer have said, I'm leaning away from it. But then again, Karen mentioned that she is having an ok experience with hers. I'll be interested to see if anyone from your other forum has helpful feedback.

Archived