TTT and Renewed Crew January Journey

NancyW

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TGIF! Well, I had a food dream last night, only I think it wasn't as much about the food (I ate one small chocolate Easter egg), as it was about wanting to derail myself so I could eat the things I want. Sheesh. Better get to work. I have 8 hours worth of work (and then some!) to finish up in 5.5 hours.

Good morning, ladies! I don't post often but I read everyone of your posts and find encouragement from them. I'm going to be continuing on with my Whole30 with the group that is doing one during Lent, starts February 10. I really need to get this way of eating cemented into my brain. LOL I get a newsletter from Kelly at www.thenourishinghome.com and she is doing a Whole30 for January. She has simple meal plans that make use of leftover, simple short shopping lists, suggestions for batch cooking. You can also download previous Whole 30s she has done. I think I'll try her way next week. I always feel like hibernating in winter and my brain works at half speed so I think a week of eating from a meal plan will do me good.

Nancy, I have to keep telling myself that I don't want to go back to my old way of eating for I felt bad when I ate that way and had no energy. It's really strange, but when I have a food dream its never has anything with gluten in it. I have celiac and can't eat that and I guess my brain has made that connection. Thanks for sharing your ups and downs with us. Its good to know others are also struggling at times.

Crimsann - the ribs sound great.  As creative as you are with food if the pear slaw didn't work out I bet you could come up with another great side.

I had to laugh about this while trying to finish my list this morning...I am leaning towards the Kahlua Pork for this week after all though I do a slightly different version than the one so often referenced here from Nom Nom Paleo.  Unfortunately, I discovered yesterday that my Whole Foods does not carry the pineapple salsa right now.  Possibly that's a summer thing for them, but it was not on the shelves when I needed it...so this morning I started looking for recipes to make my own.  Shouldn't be difficult though I admit I did some sighing about "one more thing to make".  One of the first hits I came across was...you may have guessed it...Nom Nom Paleo and her version which she mentions serving with....you certainly guessed this coming....Kahlua Pork!

So much for my creativity!  ROFL!  I actually came up with "my" pork recipe before I heard about Kahlua Pork and I added the pineapple salsa on my own because I hated the dressing I originally tried with my pork salad last summer and thought I would try salsa then couldn't find any compliant ones except the pineapple...but I didn't get there first by any means!  Pork and Pineapple have long gone hand in hand, so I wasn't thinking I was the first ever, it's just funny to stumble over such very similar ideas out there in one of the first places I look.  I am going to try her recipe this time as her salsa also contains cucumber and that seems really fresh.  If I'm faking summer, might as well go all in.

I also had a food dream last night, though I remember none of the context whatsoever...someone was presenting to me "Mexican Bacon" and as best I could tell what was supposedly making it "Mexican" was the fact that it was sliced paper thin and he promised that would make it much richer.  Whatever any of that means.  Still didn't wake up hungry though, sigh.

@Amy53...I don't think anyone should be cold, so if cold for you is actually a blistering heat wave compared to here...I still think you get full rights to gripe about it.  I'm sure some of our more Northern neighbors would actually find my single digit weather to be a vast improvement over months in the negative territory and that sure doesn't stop me from hating all over winter. 

Thanks, Crimsann!  Funny thing though, I'm roasting at work today.  Rains came in warming the outside and the heat is on full blast so I'm sitting in front of a fan and trying not to move around!  

I've had my first "feeling icky" day and I'm not sure why.  I ate my normal breakfast (spaghetti squash baked with sausage, marinara  and eggs) which usually holds me comfortably until lunch time, but after about 2 hours I was STARVING.  I ate a boiled egg, and then when that didn't help, I ate a Larabar.  My hunger subsided but then I got a smashing headache.  Actual lunch didn't help any.  Weird.  

On an up note, I'm sleeping REALLY well, and that is a truly wonderful thing.

I had a friend ask about w30 today.  I try to be really careful not to be a zealot, but if someone asks I'm happy to share.  She has weight issues and joint pain and it certainly helped me with both of these.  The complication is that she is a vegetarian.  I know it can be done, but I can't imagine trying to do this without any of the meat I eat.  I sent her the link to the forums and waxed poetically about my spiral slicer.  I don't want to be obnoxious, but it's hard sometimes not to share what has worked so well for me.  

I'm cooking shrimp tonight.  I usually stick to boiled with lots of spices and make a great shrimp salad with the leftovers, but I'm thinking I might make baked coconut shrimp tonight.  If I do and it's worth talking about, I'll let you know how it went.

Enjoy the weekend!  Mine is 3 days-woo hoo!

haven't fallen off the wagon but struggling a little:

came to Florida for the winter (don't hate me bec. my husband is a horse trainer!) and the Whole Foods here doesn't have the Pederson sugar free bacon. 

made the short ribs for husband and cooked them 11 instead of 9 hours: big mistake. much less succulent than the first time. 

can't seem to figure out how to get the fat in. sounds crazy I know, but after 30+ years of low fat, it just doesn't come naturally.  if only I could eat cheese...

energy is def. better but not great. liked the daily email today about sticking w/ the program. I would really like to have some tiger blood. 

slept well last night but not the two nights before. 

can someone help w/ fat suggestions? 

haven't fallen off the wagon but struggling a little:

came to Florida for the winter (don't hate me bec. my husband is a horse trainer!) and the Whole Foods here doesn't have the Pederson sugar free bacon. 

made the short ribs for husband and cooked them 11 instead of 9 hours: big mistake. much less succulent than the first time. 

can't seem to figure out how to get the fat in. sounds crazy I know, but after 30+ years of low fat, it just doesn't come naturally.  if only I could eat cheese...

energy is def. better but not great. liked the daily email today about sticking w/ the program. I would really like to have some tiger blood. 

slept well last night but not the two nights before. 

Hi

Can't imagine anyone would hate you for being in Florida- enjoy it!

Adding fat, I add extra coconut oil to my vegetables, you could use ghee. I also loved coconut oil whizzed in a coffee (bullet coffee) it is delicious IMO that would help at least in a morning coffee (I never had more than one coffee a day) Or you could eat some olives, a nice little dish of olives would help get some fat in. Or add olives to your salads.

There is always bone broth and leaving the fat from that or adding coconut oil to it - I know people who have done that. I prefer bone broth as it comes but is a possible option.

Morning

I am really struggling here, am hungry and having trouble staying awake in the daytime. I am at my computer and not sure if I can sit up much longer--wouldn't really worry much but have only been out of bed for about 3 hours! Now I need a nap. Had my usual big breakfast so lack of food is not the problem.

What really is funny is that my mind feel alert, focused, ready to roll and my body just doesn't want to follow. Strangest feeling. hsheffield would like some tiger blood--I would settle for some kitten blood, even young cat. I sure hope this is because I am sorting my insides out with this programme and need to go through it.

Did a marathon of oven testing yesterday, it is working fine and we are now stocked up for a couple weeks. So that's done.

The birds are so busy outside it is difficult not to smile at all their chatter. We have a large old palm tree in the yard and it is home to so many species of birds, they all seem to get along fine together. It is amazing. 

Enjoy your weekend.

Hi Susan! I think I’m going to do more than 30 days this time, so that my tastes and my neural pathways change enough to keep me off of the crap I need to stay away from. I think that will end up being dairy (except cream and a bit of cheese) and grains, but mostly the demon SUGAR. My brain has either not made the connection yet, or made the connection and decided to ignore it. Stupid stubborn brain…

Crimsann, I agree about pork and pineapple! Toss in some jalapenos and veggies and YUM! We have a Whole Foods in Milwaukee, but I don’t really like to go there. Maybe I need to start working on my own recipe of pineapple salsa.

Amy, sometimes I have to remind myself not to push this W30 think on others. It sure is tempting, especially when I hear a friend at work talk about how if her numbers don’t improve, she’ll be giving herself an insulin shot every day. I try to “encourage” but it’s hard when people say things like, “I could NEVER do what you’re doing!” But seriously, you can face a lifetime of daily insulin shots? At least try! But I don’t push. Much…

Hsheffield, I’m struggling too. Hang in there! I’ve adapted very nicely to using enough fat, as I LOVE butter and it only takes a few minutes to clarify it. And being able to put butter on things makes up for a while lot of other “hardships.”

misslindy, I am tempted to try the coffee with coconut oil or butter. One of these days… You are not alone in struggling. I’m right there with ya. Glad your oven is performing up to standards!

Only worked till 12:30 today, and I am off till Tuesday. I went to the grocery store without a list, not a good idea. I wanted to try "Bacon Sweet Potato Chili" but I don't have compliant bacon. I had to figure something out while I walked the aisles. I did ok. Turkey, sweet potatoes, jalapenos, red cabbage, carrots, onions and celery in a big pot with chicken broth and a boatload of seasonings. I'll be starting that shortly. It's not really a recipe, but we'll see how it goes. I'll add a couple of cans of tomatoes too. And I'll be making some more Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie. That's become my favorite breakfast. 

All through the grocery store, my Snugar Dragon was howling! That beast is dying a slow, painful (for me!) death. DIE ALREADY! I ended up bringing home some compliant nuts, and eating far too many of them. That was probably better than the alternative though...

• Administrators

Hi hsheffield,

Fat suggestions: fattier cuts of meat, whole eggs, avocados, olives, homemade mayo, guacamole, olive tapenade, coconut milk in curries, lard, tallow, ghee.

Anytime you're wishing "Man, I sure would like to smother this in cheese!", substitute the word "cheese" for "guacamole" or "mayo" or "ghee".  

• Administrators

Morning

I am really struggling here, am hungry and having trouble staying awake in the daytime. I am at my computer and not sure if I can sit up much longer--wouldn't really worry much but have only been out of bed for about 3 hours! Now I need a nap. Had my usual big breakfast so lack of food is not the problem.

What really is funny is that my mind feel alert, focused, ready to roll and my body just doesn't want to follow. Strangest feeling. 

I wonder if you're coming down with something? It's an aggressive cold and flu season this year!

Happy Friday and half way point!

MissLindy - I'm so sorry you feel so bad.  Hopefully this will pass soon.  I guess if it is your body responding to AI  protocol that would be a good thing.  Feel better soon.

Amy - I have to be careful too that I go easy with talking about healthy food but sometimes it just kills me that people spend more time learning how to use their new phone or whatever new techno gadget or checking out social media but they take no time or responsibility for keeping themselves healthy.  I have a co-worker whose child has developed some issues that I think could really benefit from diet change, and she has even talked about it with me a little, but now he is on medication that is $180 (!!) a month, with no effort toward diet change.  I know it is hard in the beginning - but when you see the benefits it is so worth it.  Down off my soap box now :)

hsheffield - enjoy the sunshine!  Since starting to make my own mayo I use that a lot.  And coconut oil blended into coffee is awesome.  I just use an immersion blender and it works great.

My energy seems to be good and nausea is a bit better.  Seem to be having to think twice and make extra effort to make good choices but doing ok.  I have taken nightshades out for a while because I felt like I was having reactions so that has been a challenge.  I'm also suspecting eggs a bit too but I am staying in denial about that for a while.   I think we will all start to feel better as we get into the second half of this journey

I wonder if you're coming down with something? It's an aggressive cold and flu season this year!

Thanks, I might be but don't really feel ill, just hungry and tired. I went to have a nap and two hours later feel much better--could be bugs as I am almost ready for another snooze and I have to go out shortly. Hope I don't snore in the meeting! :)

Today we're back to what winter should be in Savannah, GA-66 degrees when I walked my 5k this afternoon.  What a beautiful day to be outside!  

I spend a good deal of time reading on Reddit.com daily and there is a Whole30 sub-reddit.  Last time I checked it wasn't very active and so I quit checking, but I looked today and, wow, what a difference!  It's a pretty active forum and there is a recipes thread that I enjoyed reading.  So if you're not already wasting enough time online, here's another way to spend some more!

https://www.reddit.com/r/whole30/

misslindy and bpaitsel, hope you're feeling better. :)  I'm back on my feet again after the headache and "crud" bout.  I'm afraid here that the air quality in this apartment is actually making us ill.  Hopefully we go elsewhere SOON on another project and get back to living in the RV.

You know, my kids always got really, really hungry when they were going to have a growth spurt or a breakthrough in development.  Maybe something is getting ready to happen for you? :D

Hungry and tired for me used to mean checking iron levels, but with all the offal you've got in your breakfasts, wouldn't think that would be a problem.

Thanks. Cynthia. I am hoping that is the case and a major breakthrough will be occurring soon. I am sure my iron levels are fine, as is the rest of my blood work so no worries there. I am better today but have decided if I need to nap, I shall nap. Thank goodness I have the ability to do that. Working from home is the only way to go for flexibility but not so great on bringing in the cash at the moment.

I hope that you get better air quality--that is not good. What about a something that will help clear the air? I can't remember what they are called but produce ions that clean and purify???

Pretty good day today, managed to get half a swim in--company arrived so cut it short. Did have a short walk as well--the dog that lives at the end of the lane came to visit so I returned her and the owners didn't even know she had escaped!

Hi! Below zero temps here today, with windchills -20 to -30. I'm staying IN, and having some turkey sweet potato chili for dinner. 

I went to my mom & dad's yesterday and took my own stuff for salad. I had greens, chicken, clementine slices, walnuts, and avocado oil/ACV/dijon dressing. My mom looked at it and said "You're eating all that for lunch? Wish I was on your diet!" I answered, "You could be..." It makes me smile when people thing I'm giving up more than I'm getting out of this, because the opposite is true. I had to hold back my inner zealot. 

I am a morning person. Always have been, and like it that way. I'm rarely in bed after 6am, and the joke in my family is that if I'm in bed after 7, they should call the undertaker. Yesterday, I was up early, but stayed in bed to read. I fell back to sleep, and didn't wake up till almost 9. I've been sleeping really well lately, so I don't know why that happened, but it irritated me! I don't want to spend half my day sleeping! I made sure to get up right away today, and here it is, not even 10am, and I've already got all kinds of things done. I much prefer that.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend, everyone!

Can't help but laugh...I'm the total opposite of a morning person as described above.  If my family joked about me it would be more along the lines of, "if she is out of bed before 10AM, just steer her back that way...she is probably sleep walking!"

I just found the Epic Bits at my local Whole Foods, not sure if they only now started carrying them or if I missed them all along.  I picked the two that seemed compliant (the third one contained some maple) and now am looking for some creative ways to use them.  I started with a sprinkle of the chicken ones on top of deviled eggs which worked pretty well!  If I end up going to another party that could be another really sneaky compliant/but jazzy normal looking food to take.  I wasn't ever really wild about the bars, but these smaller bits pack a lot of flavor without that huge mouthful of jerky. 

Your salad sounds great Nancy, do you do just plain chicken or do you use some kind of seasoning?  I want to add something like that to my February meal plan because I've got to get more into salads, they are so easy to pack and take and when I want a weekend off from so much cooking...  I think sometimes I get carried away trying to but in too many flavors though.  I did one last summer with a balsamic chicken served warm with some roasted golden beets and let the slightly saucy chicken be the dressing but for some reason I haven't made it since. 

For me it's just that salads never sound good.  They always are, once I'm eating it, and I usually finish them and think why don't I do this more often...but then ask me an hour later and salads don't sound good again.  (Ironic side note?  I feel the same way about Oreo's...never sound good to me that icky sugary creamy center stuff...blech...but then if I eat one it never stops at one.  So why in the world is a salad like an Oreo in my mind?!) 

I had another food dream last night also.  My mother was offering me half a marshmallow peep and giving me grief because I wouldn't eat even that "little bit of sugar".  It's probably stemming from me already starting to think about what to do for Easter.  Since I'm planning to stay Whole30 to one degree or another through April, that means this year Easter will be a holiday on the program and it happens to be the one holiday I usually host since I have the larger backyard for egg hunts.  I have no problem making a mixed meal and just not eating parts of it, but it's something I will probably want to plan ahead a bit for and see what I can do with what I've got.  Luckily, I almost always resist doing the traditional Easter Ham...I think last year I made chicken taco's and cut out Easter bunny tortilla chips...so if the menu is a little out there it won't be as noticeable. 

• Moderators

Today we're back to what winter should be in Savannah, GA-66 degrees when I walked my 5k this afternoon.  What a beautiful day to be outside!  

I spend a good deal of time reading on Reddit.com daily and there is a Whole30 sub-reddit.  Last time I checked it wasn't very active and so I quit checking, but I looked today and, wow, what a difference!  It's a pretty active forum and there is a recipes thread that I enjoyed reading.  So if you're not already wasting enough time online, here's another way to spend some more!

https://www.reddit.com/r/whole30/

I'm sure you know this, but just in case anyone reading this is wondering -- the Whole30 sub-reddit is not an official Whole30 site. Always double check all the recipes for yourself and make sure they're okay, and take any advice given on that (or any other) website with a grain of salt -- if anything seems not quite right, always look for confirmation from either It Starts With Food or The Whole30 book, or check here on the forums, or in the Whole30 blog

Crimsann - you're cracking me up! Sleep walking...  :P  I put my chicken breasts in the crock pot till they're done, nothing on them. Then I wrap in aluminum foil individually and put them in a zip top bag in the freezer. That keeps the freezer burn off, and I can pull them out as I need them. I get bored with salads sometimes because I tend to put the same thing on them all the time when I can't use cheese!

I did check out the sub-reddit, and there were a couple of things there that I'd have questioned before diving in. But it was my first time at that site at all, and I could have spent entirely too much time there!

I think I may be eating a bit too much lately, and too many nuts. Gotta stop buying them--they toy with Snugar and I'm better off not going down that road...

Hi, everyone...

Halfway to 30, meaning it is time to start planning for reintro!! Actually, it also is time because I can feel a teeny bit of boredom worming its way into my attitude, even though all the great physical and mental benefits are present. I am sleeping great as well, feel even and pretty energetic...hoping this means I will get out of "stuck" which is where I have been for awhile at work and even with regard to some home projects.

So, is anyone planning anything yet for reintro? Lindy, I know you are on a different course and sure hope it is going better for you. What you are trying to unravel is a major factor in your well being, so I pray that th light shines though just a bit in the days ahead.

I'm not planning reintro yet, at least not in the traditional sense.  What I plan to do is what I did last summer which is to continue on for another month without reintroducing foods that are not on the program.

This is just my approach, but what I took away from my first Whole30 was that these are the foods that we are supposed to function the best on, provide the best nutrition, keep us feeling and looking good.  I wanted to see what life could look like if I stuck to just these but allowed myself to use them in some broader and more creative ways...like the banana ice cream.  Now please understand, as I've said before, battling a snack/sugar dragon is not really an issue for me so I abide by the rules for a formal Whole30.  However, I feel like one of the best bridges for me between before and after Whole30, was to relax those rules without reintroducing sugar or grains or dairy in any form.   It let me expand the creativity without actually changing WHAT I'm eating, only by changing HOW I eat it.  If I felt like I could control that, then I might be ready to control some off plan foods.  If eating a bit of frozen banana sent me straight back for a bigger bowl...then I wasn't where I needed to be yet and it was a good thing I found out before I tried Ben and Jerry's!  If eating a bit of frozen banana allowed me to enjoy and savor the natural sweetness of a clean food with no added sugar...wasn't that what I was trying to reset my taste buds to?  I didn't want to be afraid of a food tasting too good or reminding me of an "old life" food in fact I wanted more time to find clean food substitutes for things I used to eat.  I wanted to find the foods where no Whole30 version worked for me...ketchup so far and then decide if they were worth it or not.  I felt like if I could learn balance within those bounds I might have a better picture of what a post-Whole30 life could look like for me.  If I went straight into reintro I might have missed finding some great alternatives that I was just as happy with.

If this thinking leads you straight into eating nothing but frozen fruit and paleo waffles, then not a good idea for you!  It was fantastic for me though.  I didn't do much, other than the one time ice cream and an experiment with an almond flour waffle thing, the first month in fact went by without me coloring too far outside the lines at all but it felt freer and I got more of a taste of what choosing to eat clean foods would look like long term. 

So that's what I plan to do for February, a relax the rules a bit month rather than a real reintroduction, and in March I will be going back to a strict Whole30 just to make sure I don't go crazy with paleo muffins and lose sight of what the core foods should be.  I want to experiment some, not just fall straight into healthier bad habits. 

I think the first step is to identify both what you are still struggling with and what you are suceeding at so that you are aware of where you could fail and which things you need to take pride in and continue strong with.  For me, like you Merg, I struggle with boredom and feeling restrictions on my cooking creativity.  Whether that's reality or not, I do feel like I'm hampered somewhat by experimenting with the food I can have for fear of crossing over into SWYPO territory.  But I'm not planning to stay chaste for life.  :lol:  So a little safe messing around seemed like a natural next step for me.  I feel like I do really well with not eating between meals (whether by choice or environment might be debateable) and with enjoying the clean foods so those were things I wanted to keep going with.  Planning for specific scheduled meals rather than eating whenever and if-ever and staying with whole pure foods.  I feel like I am struggling with veggies for some reason, so if I were planning for more of a reintro I might ask myself what I could add that would encourage me to eat more veggies.  Butter maybe?  Or is that just going to be a seasonal thing for me, where I eat more variety there when they are in season again. 

Just some thoughts, I'm always interested to see how the different approaches come together and how they work out!

Hi, everyone...

Halfway to 30, meaning it is time to start planning for reintro!! Actually, it also is time because I can feel a teeny bit of boredom worming its way into my attitude, even though all the great physical and mental benefits are present. I am sleeping great as well, feel even and pretty energetic...hoping this means I will get out of "stuck" which is where I have been for awhile at work and even with regard to some home projects.

So, is anyone planning anything yet for reintro? Lindy, I know you are on a different course and sure hope it is going better for you. What you are trying to unravel is a major factor in your well being, so I pray that th light shines though just a bit in the days ahead.

Thank you so much merg. I am doing well I think and something is definitely shifting so am hanging in but not getting too excited, still a long way to go.

Sounds like you are doing well--am pleased.

I'm not planning reintro yet, at least not in the traditional sense.  What I plan to do is what I did last summer which is to continue on for another month without reintroducing foods that are not on the program.

This is just my approach, but what I took away from my first Whole30 was that these are the foods that we are supposed to function the best on, provide the best nutrition, keep us feeling and looking good.  I wanted to see what life could look like if I stuck to just these but allowed myself to use them in some broader and more creative ways...like the banana ice cream.  Now please understand, as I've said before, battling a snack/sugar dragon is not really an issue for me so I abide by the rules for a formal Whole30.  However, I feel like one of the best bridges for me between before and after Whole30, was to relax those rules without reintroducing sugar or grains or dairy in any form.   It let me expand the creativity without actually changing WHAT I'm eating, only by changing HOW I eat it.  If I felt like I could control that, then I might be ready to control some off plan foods.  If eating a bit of frozen banana sent me straight back for a bigger bowl...then I wasn't where I needed to be yet and it was a good thing I found out before I tried Ben and Jerry's!  If eating a bit of frozen banana allowed me to enjoy and savor the natural sweetness of a clean food with no added sugar...wasn't that what I was trying to reset my taste buds to?  I didn't want to be afraid of a food tasting too good or reminding me of an "old life" food in fact I wanted more time to find clean food substitutes for things I used to eat.  I wanted to find the foods where no Whole30 version worked for me...ketchup so far and then decide if they were worth it or not.  I felt like if I could learn balance within those bounds I might have a better picture of what a post-Whole30 life could look like for me.  If I went straight into reintro I might have missed finding some great alternatives that I was just as happy with.

If this thinking leads you straight into eating nothing but frozen fruit and paleo waffles, then not a good idea for you!  It was fantastic for me though.  I didn't do much, other than the one time ice cream and an experiment with an almond flour waffle thing, the first month in fact went by without me coloring too far outside the lines at all but it felt freer and I got more of a taste of what choosing to eat clean foods would look like long term. 

So that's what I plan to do for February, a relax the rules a bit month rather than a real reintroduction, and in March I will be going back to a strict Whole30 just to make sure I don't go crazy with paleo muffins and lose sight of what the core foods should be.  I want to experiment some, not just fall straight into healthier bad habits. 

I think the first step is to identify both what you are still struggling with and what you are suceeding at so that you are aware of where you could fail and which things you need to take pride in and continue strong with.  For me, like you Merg, I struggle with boredom and feeling restrictions on my cooking creativity.  Whether that's reality or not, I do feel like I'm hampered somewhat by experimenting with the food I can have for fear of crossing over into SWYPO territory.  But I'm not planning to stay chaste for life.  :lol:  So a little safe messing around seemed like a natural next step for me.  I feel like I do really well with not eating between meals (whether by choice or environment might be debateable) and with enjoying the clean foods so those were things I wanted to keep going with.  Planning for specific scheduled meals rather than eating whenever and if-ever and staying with whole pure foods.  I feel like I am struggling with veggies for some reason, so if I were planning for more of a reintro I might ask myself what I could add that would encourage me to eat more veggies.  Butter maybe?  Or is that just going to be a seasonal thing for me, where I eat more variety there when they are in season again. 

Just some thoughts, I'm always interested to see how the different approaches come together and how they work out!

Well said, Crimsann. I think I'd like to follow a similar plan. I saw this on the Over 50 thread (posted by FoodieCG) and it resonated with me:

I'm not going 100% W30 for more than 35-45 days or so, but I am doing the Whole 9 challenge, so I do plan to be very thoughtful about eating. I like the "no diet" philosophy of food, so W30 will be the base for my permanent eating, with off-roading as a conscious, deliberate choice. I like the idea of being in charge, versus in control. I tend to lose control, but I intend to take charge--no guilt, no extreme emotions around food, and trusting my body to help guide my decisions. None of those thoughts are my own, though I am adopting them--it's from "Am I Hungry." What I like is that the Whole 30 and Whole 9 are easily aligned with these ideas.

Archived