thickening agents

Hello there! I'm on Day 3 of my first Whole 30. After scouring Pinterest and Google I've found a decent number of delicious recipes to cook for my family. I'm just stumped on how to substitute cornstarch or flour. I've read recipes that call for tapioca starch, arrowroot flour/powder, coconut flour, xantham gum, and other compliant products to use in recipes. I'm simply wondering if these can be used interchangeably (read: trying to maintain a budget and not purchase the entire Wegman's store) or if they each have specific functions and I should make the investment and stock up my pantry. 

Any advice is welcomed!!

Brianna 

Coconut flour is quite unique in its properties in that it is EXTREMELY high in fiber and therefore very absorbent of moisture.  I personally would go with tapioca starch in place of flour or cornstarch and I have successfully used it interchangeably with arrowroot starch.  If a recipe specifically calls for coconut flour, I would stick with coconut flour.  Almond flour is good for breading chicken/fish; people also do this with coconut flour.  I would argue that coconut flour > almond flour because it's a better source of fat and has more fiber and a more desirable fatty acid profile.

I've only ever used xanthan gum as a thickener/volumizer for smoothies - I'd actually probably steer clear of it for your Whole30, even though it IS technically compliant.  I don't have a compelling reason why.

Shopping list:

1) Tapioca flour

2) Coconut flour

Done!

Hope that helps!

-Lauren (GGG)

• Administrators

I personally dislike the effect that arrowroot has on thickening, I find it makes the end result kind of goopy.  But to each their own, right?

My newest find for soups and stews that need thickening is potato flakes (ie, instant mashed potato).  Just make sure that they are just potato flakes (Bob's Red Mill is the brand I use) and stir those in.  It does give the soup or stew a bit of a.....texture, but we liked it quite a bit because the end product seemed really hearty!

Another vote for potato/potato flakes here.

Arrowroot was one of the very few foods my son could eat when he was little - I remember making rice pasta for him with arrowroot 'sauce' - it was wall paper paste  :wacko:

Archived