Need more rules! Scared of reintro!

shaimom

Yep. I'm on day 30 of my Whole30 tomorrow. I am a very black-and white-type person. I'm scared of reintroducing things because I'm scared I will binge on unhealthy things and let it all go. The strict rules of the Whole30 were good for me, but I want to be able to have other things too.

I know I will feel guilty when I eat things that are not Whole30, because they've just been forbidden for 30 days! Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm not looking forward to this!I need a rule book for life post-Whole 30. Something really fixed. I feel all overwhelmed...

Legumes - Really sacred of these - feel like they are just not healthy. But financially, we really need to add them to our diet as last month has taken a huge toll on our expenses (and that's with eating tons of chicken wings and odd bits of meat). I'm thinking 2 times a week, and only eating them if they are sprouted first?

Non-gluten grains - same as above

Dairy - maybe just plain yogurt here and there. I love milk and hot chocolate, oh my, I used to drink milk every day. I can't live without that FOREVER.

SWYPOs etc. - special occasions only. Trying not to include dessert except the ocassional fruit.

Gluten and refined sugars - I want this to be only on special occasions. Like if we're at someone's house and they serve cake etc. I have some spelt breadcrumbs that I used to like using. Maybe I'll stick to the organic corn flake crumbs and use them sparingly.

I am craving sweet food now I know it's the end. Help me! I just want a cookie!

Don't do the cookie!

Yes, you are at the more challenging (and most valuable) part of the program.  If you'd like some structure around your reintro to help you ease back into these treacherous waters (because you can't and shouldn't eat Whole30 forever - that's why it's a Whole30 and not a Whole365), you might want to check out my reintroduction where I am keeping meticulous records of what and how I reintroduce foods and how they impact me, with as many days of Whole30-style eating in between as needed until I feel "ready" for the next reintroduction.

Guess what - YOU get the write the "rules" for the next part of your life.  I know it's hard and it's scary, but it's the only way YOU get to be in charge of what's best for YOU, because no one knows you better than YOU yourself!

Good luck!

-Lauren (GGG)

I've had a look at that link, GFChris, thanks so much for pointing it out to me. I also looked over the Whole30 timelline again - looks like I was right on track for my day 29 freak out. Feeling better today. Decided I don't want to reintro legumes yet as I know they cause me digestive issues and I don't even like them so much. Going to start with non-gluten grains, then dairy, then gluten, then legumes at the end. Thegoldengrahamgirl - your reintro log is fascinating! Thanks for the link to it.

Regarding SWYPOs, sugar, sulphites etc.... can I just let them back in a little bit here and there? I don't plan to eat them regularly anyway.

I took advantage of today, as day 30, to clear out my pantry of everything with added sugar. Even the tomato paste has gone. I know once I'm out of the Whole30 I would easily slip back into it so I wanted to do that right now. I did keep some chocolate chips with sugar in, and some honey, date syrup etc. in a special basket for using when baking special treats. I doubt I'll use it more than twice a month and even then I'll be sharing the baked stuff with friends.

I think the structure of the formal reintros will work well for you given that you're feeling anxious & that you plan, at some point, to eat each of the off limit foods again - it's so important to know in advance how these foods will effect you both emotionally and physically. Forewarned is forearmed.

There isn't an official stance on sugar post W30 but I'd always say to give it it's own reintro day as it will, most likely, effect your food choices going forward.

As far as SWYPO treats you can do as you please but be aware that ANY kind of sugar - be it honey, dates, maple syrup etc - can lead down a very slippery path.

Sulphites personally I continue to avoid.

Good luck with your reintros - it's probably the most important part of the process!

Good luck with your reintros, don't have much advice to add other than what was already stated, but I clearly remember the day after my first Whole30 and eating my first off plan food.  It felt so anti-climatic, like I thought something big was going to happen when I took that first bite and nothing did and life went on as usual :)  It is scary going back out there, but that's why the reintros are so important, so you know exactly what you're getting into when you eat something off plan!

I've been on reintros for over a month post Whole30. I wanted to separate some food groups, eg cow dairy and goat dairy and I'm in no hurry. (Doing a "slow roll.")

The reintro is as important as the Whole30. And it can be harder, BUT it has a built in structure because after a reintro day you do two template days and you don't repeat reintro'd foods until all your reintroductions are done. So, you will be eating Whole 30 two-thirds of the time!

I would definitely do sugar separately as it can really skew your reactions. And I'd put it off until last or near the end for the same reason. (This is not the "added sugar" in a commercial salad dressing or things like that that weren't compliant Whole30 but are OK with the relaxed rules post Whole30.)

Also, I personally don't see any reason to reintroduce foods you don't anticipate eating.

Monitor your physical and psychological reactions. And remember that you are gathering essential information on how and what to eat so that you have a sustainable and healthy eating plan FOR YOU.

You mention trying non-gluten grains. After my first Whole30, the first thing I reintroduced was oatmeal. I got sick to my stomach later that day, but someone on the forum pointed out that unless the package specifically says "Gluten Free" the oatmeal (or other grain) could be contaminated with gluten from the processing facility. Just be careful. The package has to say Gluten Free.

Well I had quinoa this morning. It was gross. I used to love that stuff - guess the Whole30 has changed my taste! It felt so heavy. Couldn't finish the portion and quickly went to fry another egg and some extra leftover cabbage. Much better!

Archived