Starting February 15, 2016

Naz786

I am doing it on my own too, though my family seem to like the dinners. Although my other half was hungry after last night's dinner and had a late night snack of crackers and cheese, I admit I did glare at him a few times!

Thinking of getting my 3 year old involved too. As this morning when I was getting him breakfast, I found myself with a piece of cereal halfway towards my mouth before I even realised what I was doing!

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, I'm also doing it on my own and I find it very comforting to know this forum exists and I'm not alone in this. My boyfriend is actually very supportive and he'll try all the recipes I am trying for the first time (which is most of them actually) - he will of course add his non-compliant elements but it's OK. He loves eating out and we got to go out a couple of times this week which has made me feel so much better. I was dreading reading the chapter of eating out, of how I'll be with my friends, and didn't want to get into details but didn't know how good I'd be in avoiding the subject. So being able to practice with someone I trust and is supportive was a great practice! I suggest that to everyone who is also afraid of going out during these 30 days.

We live in Paris and produce here is always served fresh, and asking dressing on the side is always very easy as I found out, so most salads can be ordered in a compliant way in most places (I don't like cheese so I already knew that asking no cheese is OK). Also I realized that steak tartare is probably going to be my #1 go-to food when there is nothing else on the menu and I'm hungry. It's a very filling dish and in most places they can bring it to you unprepared so you know exactly what goes in there! Not sure if in the US you can find it as often but it's a great dish to prepare at home in any case, and very compliant in it's simple form (not adding any sauce).

I think the thing I miss the most is wine, red wine like OhioJill60! But I find sparkling water to be a very comforting companion when I don't want to drink just water. I put a lemon wedge in there just to feel like I'm fancy and I'm drinking something else. Also if you have that lemon or lime in there during the night people often think you are drinking vodka tonic or gin & tonic and they leave you alone (just know this from nights I wasn't feeling like drinking, and I plan to do this in case I need to during these 30 days)

Good luck with the rest of the day and hope sleeping gets back to normal for everyone soon :)

Well its 10.30pm and I have completed DAY 4!!!!

Today was a tough one, I felt more hungry than on other days. Also I really had the sugar cravings hit. They started last night - I am still not used to having a dessert or sweet something after I have eaten. This morning I had the jitters and have felt hungry all day. However I didn't give in, even when the family had a Chinese take out (Pizza on Day 1, Cookies on Day 2 and now Chinese arghhh!!!!!).

I made some wonderful food from the Whole30 recipes again. Tonight was the chicken with coconut curry sauce - WOW so nice!

I also made up a batch of Sweet Potato soup and some more salads ready to go and a whole tub of Mayo!

Today it reminded me how easy it is to cheat - I could have grabbed 1 bite of something here or snuck a piece of something there...but I didn't. I have never managed to stick 100% to any diet plan before but I just keep saying 1 day at a time for this. So all I had to do tonight was make it until I went to bed and then start again tomorrow.

I am finding the daily emails super motivating AND this forum is so great. I have new messages pop up on my phone all the time and it really keeps me focussed.

Hope everyone else's day 4 went well!

Hugs

• Moderators

Well its 10.30pm and I have completed DAY 4!!!!

Today was a tough one, I felt more hungry than on other days. Also I really had the sugar cravings hit. They started last night - I am still not used to having a dessert or sweet something after I have eaten. This morning I had the jitters and have felt hungry all day. However I didn't give in, even when the family had a Chinese take out (Pizza on Day 1, Cookies on Day 2 and now Chinese arghhh!!!!!).

I made some wonderful food from the Whole30 recipes again. Tonight was the chicken with coconut curry sauce - WOW so nice!

I also made up a batch of Sweet Potato soup and some more salads ready to go and a whole tub of Mayo!

Today it reminded me how easy it is to cheat - I could have grabbed 1 bite of something here or snuck a piece of something there...but I didn't. I have never managed to stick 100% to any diet plan before but I just keep saying 1 day at a time for this. So all I had to do tonight was make it until I went to bed and then start again tomorrow.

I am finding the daily emails super motivating AND this forum is so great. I have new messages pop up on my phone all the time and it really keeps me focussed.

Hope everyone else's day 4 went well!

Hugs

If you're really hungry, eat -- ideally a mini meal with some protein, fat, and vegetables. We don't want you to be hungry.

Keep in mind that all people have days where they're hungrier and just need more food -- for women, this is often related to hormonal changes throughout their cycle. In the week leading up to and the first part of your period, you may find yourself really, really hungry, and craving sweet, carby things. Eat more at meals, up your starchy vegetable intake for a few days, and see if that helps. Even if it's not that time of the month, if you're truly hungry, eat. If you're just bored, or emotional, or tired, or eating out of habit, that's different, and those are times you should find something else to do to distract you from food for a bit -- but those things typically don't last long, once you've found something else to do. If you're not sure whether something is hunger or something else, think about would you eat something bland and boring, like steamed fish and broccoli? If you would, you're probably really hungry, so eat something. If you wouldn't eat steamed fish and broccoli, but you'd happily chow down on chocolate or potato chips or something, it's probably not really hunger, so then you need to kind of figure out what's triggering that desire to eat -- are you stressed? Tired? Bored? Figure out how you're feeling, and how to deal with those feelings without eating.

If you're really hungry, eat -- ideally a mini meal with some protein, fat, and vegetables. We don't want you to be hungry.

Keep in mind that all people have days where they're hungrier and just need more food -- for women, this is often related to hormonal changes throughout their cycle. In the week leading up to and the first part of your period, you may find yourself really, really hungry, and craving sweet, carby things. Eat more at meals, up your starchy vegetable intake for a few days, and see if that helps. Even if it's not that time of the month, if you're truly hungry, eat. If you're just bored, or emotional, or tired, or eating out of habit, that's different, and those are times you should find something else to do to distract you from food for a bit -- but those things typically don't last long, once you've found something else to do. If you're not sure whether something is hunger or something else, think about would you eat something bland and boring, like steamed fish and broccoli? If you would, you're probably really hungry, so eat something. If you wouldn't eat steamed fish and broccoli, but you'd happily chow down on chocolate or potato chips or something, it's probably not really hunger, so then you need to kind of figure out what's triggering that desire to eat -- are you stressed? Tired? Bored? Figure out how you're feeling, and how to deal with those feelings without eating.

Just to confirm that I did eat - I was just commenting that today I felt hungry.

I am doing it on my own too, though my family seem to like the dinners. Although my other half was hungry after last night's dinner and had a late night snack of crackers and cheese, I admit I did glare at him a few times!

Thinking of getting my 3 year old involved too. As this morning when I was getting him breakfast, I found myself with a piece of cereal halfway towards my mouth before I even realised what I was doing!

I almost licked Nutella off of my finger while I was making a sandwich for my 4 year old! That was close!

Day 4 done.

Not so achy. My stomach area actually feels solid all day, not overfull, no hunger pains, just different - and I didn't feel the need to snack today. I'm down to one cup of black coffee after breakfast, then mostly herbal tea, water & sparkling water/seltzer - another huge win as I was a 4-cup of creamed, sugar-sweetened coffee per day drinker!

Not craving sugar, which is HUGE for me. Thinking about it, sure, but not so much wanting as just the habit of wanting it.

Had another stellar day of meals, straight out of the W30 cookbook and did meal planning for next week with my husband!

So far we've loved:

Perfect Ground Beef with tomato sauce and roasted spaghetti squash

Green cabbage slaw

Roasted red pepper sauce

Pesto

Ranch dressing

Slow cooker beef brisket with butternut squash "make it a meal" - my husband is still talking about it!

Pork chops with spiced applesauce

I've also gotten more confident in just tossing things together like the Cobb Salad Mason Jars for lunch tomorrow, and sweet potatoes roasted with coconut oil (a first!), cinnamon & nutmeg.

So happy we decided to do this!

Hi everyone!

How did your day 4 go? Mine wasn't too bad. I'm getting used to the lighter feeling which I was thinking might be hunger. I made a delicious citrus vinaigrette from Nom Nom Paleo! It has dijon mustard in it so be careful. I feel pretty good today, not bad. I think my sugar dragon might be calming down (fingers crossed!) I'm not missing all my sweet treats so much. I hope this continues! How are all of you doing with the sugar cravings? Hope everyone else had a good day too! Let's go kick Day 5's patootie! !

Day 4 done.

Not so achy. My stomach area actually feels solid all day, not overfull, no hunger pains, just different - and I didn't feel the need to snack today. I'm down to one cup of black coffee after breakfast, then mostly herbal tea, water & sparkling water/seltzer - another huge win as I was a 4-cup of creamed, sugar-sweetened coffee per day drinker!

Not craving sugar, which is HUGE for me. Thinking about it, sure, but not so much wanting as just the habit of wanting it.

Had another stellar day of meals, straight out of the W30 cookbook and did meal planning for next week with my husband!

So far we've loved:

Perfect Ground Beef with tomato sauce and roasted spaghetti squash

Green cabbage slaw

Roasted red pepper sauce

Pesto

Ranch dressing

Slow cooker beef brisket with butternut squash "make it a meal" - my husband is still talking about it!

Pork chops with spiced applesauce

I've also gotten more confident in just tossing things together like the Cobb Salad Mason Jars for lunch tomorrow, and sweet potatoes roasted with coconut oil (a first!), cinnamon & nutmeg.

So happy we decided to do this!

I guess we're in the same boat with our sugar cravings! That's awesome your becoming confident in making your meals! I'm getting more comfortable in this new routine too! Good luck!

I too am finding that my sugar cravings have already/so far greatly diminished. This is huge for me.

I was truly hungry immediately after lunch today, which told me I simply didn't eat enough. I ate a little more. I am learning that I need to eat more protein with my meals. I do always have a protein but I wonder if sometimes it's just not enough.

I had leftovers for dinner tonight, which was great because I loved last night's dinner so much. (Turkey burgers with a spice blend from Well Fed 2, avocado, and baked sweet potato). Made more turkey burgers with the leftover meat.

It feels really good to be doing this. I feel so good!

SarahAwright: I had 2 epic fails with mayo making today. And after making 2 successful batches previously. The only thing I did different today was used farm eggs rather than store-bought. Don't know if that would make a difference...

I did make a big batch of salsa today and some W30 ketchup for my husband. Oh, I also tried the avocado deviled egg recipe linked in today's newsletter...I love it!

I thing I got to the Kill All the Things stage early, because that's how I'm feeling towards my husband, Yikes!

Heidi, you probably already said, but which turkey burger recipe did you use? TIA!

It's 7:30pm my time, so just a few more hours and I will have done Day 4!! Going completely without sugar is a huge NSV for me. I still am amazed that I enjoying my tea with just almond milk and nothing else. It actually tastes good. Now, I still find myself expecting that sweet "hit" with the first drink, but once my brain says "oh yeah", it's all good.

Great job everyone!

SarahAwright: I had 2 epic fails with mayo making today. And after making 2 successful batches previously. The only thing I did different today was used farm eggs rather than store-bought. Don't know if that would make a difference...

I did make a big batch of salsa today and some W30 ketchup for my husband. Oh, I also tried the avocado deviled egg recipe linked in today's newsletter...I love it!

I thing I got to the Kill All the Things stage early, because that's how I'm feeling towards my husband, Yikes!

Heidi, you probably already said, but which turkey burger recipe did you use? TIA!

It's 7:30pm my time, so just a few more hours and I will have done Day 4!! Going completely without sugar is a huge NSV for me. I still am amazed that I enjoying my tea with just almond milk and nothing else. It actually tastes good. Now, I still find myself expecting that sweet "hit" with the first drink, but once my brain says "oh yeah", it's all good.

Great job everyone!

Day 5: Kill all the things? Not so much.

Instead I feel calm.

I'm sleeping better, I am going to bed earlier and enjoying implementing a night time routine (instead of just crawling into bed after watching TV too late). I am better able to wake up at 5am to get started working, and now I'm loving my breakfast routine. Having a big glass of water then leftovers at the kitchen table, all while my tea is steeping for after the meal. I even got out my godmother's tea cup and saucer just because. :)

Most of all, since I feel good (no stomach issues, no bloating, doing meal prep for the next day in the evenings instead of sitting on the couch), I'm getting more steps in, I'm in a better mood and have more energy to hang out with my kids and be goofy.

I'm just happy - and I still have a lot of challenges (as we all do) with household issues, worrying about money, work that never stops, crazy schedules - but somehow even just 4 days into this I feel like I can face those, because I feel less stressed out, and maybe a big part of it is that my husband is totally on board too.

Ok, sappiness over. Wishing everyone an awesome Day 5!!!

Day 5: Kill all the things? Not so much.

Instead I feel calm.

I'm sleeping better, I am going to bed earlier and enjoying implementing a night time routine (instead of just crawling into bed after watching TV too late). I am better able to wake up at 5am to get started working, and now I'm loving my breakfast routine. Having a big glass of water then leftovers at the kitchen table, all while my tea is steeping for after the meal. I even got out my godmother's tea cup and saucer just because. :)

Most of all, since I feel good (no stomach issues, no bloating, doing meal prep for the next day in the evenings instead of sitting on the couch), I'm getting more steps in, I'm in a better mood and have more energy to hang out with my kids and be goofy.

I'm just happy - and I still have a lot of challenges (as we all do) with household issues, worrying about money, work that never stops, crazy schedules - but somehow even just 4 days into this I feel like I can face those, because I feel less stressed out, and maybe a big part of it is that my husband is totally on board too.

Ok, sappiness over. Wishing everyone an awesome Day 5!!!

Yay for routines, right? Less than a week in and I'm feeling so much more productive and calm. I think most of it has to do with that I'm going to sleep and waking up at the same time every day, and I'm not really watching TV (time is precious, and aside from veggie roasting and working on art there's really no time for TV :P ).

Having a hard time sleeping all night though- sleeping alone for the first time in months might be part of it too! I've been creating white noise with a fan so the night owls I live with don't wake me up.

I have to share this recipe with everyone- it came out so good and it's so easy! I double the batch and froze half so I have a totally time saving protein in the weeks ahead!

http://whole30.com/2015/09/freezer-cooking-3/- The first recipe, for Crock Pot Green Chile Chicken. I had roasted green chiles from a trip to New Mexico on hand, but you can also buy canned ones at the grocery store (or roast your own!)

Cooking dinner with my bff tonight- she's totally supportive and understanding (although I might bring my coconut aminos) and we're going to have a great time- yay!

Wishing everyone a great first weekend of the Whole30! Here's to navigating group situations, grocery shopping (again!), and batch cooking like crazy!

Hi all!

Day 5! Feeling good. Had a good workout yesterday, even though I was sort of expecting that it wouldn't be so great. Anyone else cross fit or HiT train?

Only trouble I'm having is sleeplessness.... Frustrating, but maybe I've been drinking too much coffee.

I've had some amazing food the last few days.... Oh my goodness.... My family and I are over the moon for fried ripe plantain fritters

(Pinterest) and my kids are CRAZY for homemade sausage patties. I just get plain ground pork sausage and add in salt, pepper, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and fennel seed. My kids do the mixing and squishing and make the patties and then I brown them in coconut oil. So tasty with eggs and sautéed cabbage. I'm also in love with the Golden Cauliflower soup from WF2, perfect for me to add in more veggies. Breakfast soup, yes please!

Michelle

I am truly in love with whole, homemade food. Why oh why do I ever stray?

Good morning!

For the record, I'm a bit sappy today too. I feel like this is literally the first time in my life I've actually done something really good for myself, out of complete love and respect.

Fun stuff: I had the Whole30 book on hold at the library and it became available last night! Of course I went there straight from work to pick it up (don't even get me started on my love for the library). I have read parts of It Starts with Food, but am finding the Whole30 book much more helpful in terms of applying the rules of the program and helping me be more prepared (and such good looking recipes too!). It was fun to read the breakdown of how one might feel during each phase of time. I did not see 'sappy' listed as a side effect of these early days, LOL, but I'm feeling it, so there it is. I found the information on the reintroduction phase particularly helpful, though clearly not something I need to worry about yet! Nice to know there is a specific guide there to help, once that phase comes into view.

As a result of reading even just a few pages last night, I feel better prepared with my meals for today. I put together a better balance of protein and fats for breakfast (no smoothie!) and boosted the amount of protein I packed for lunch. 

Lipstickandbacon: I totally want to make that Golden Cauliflower soup!

Barbecutie: I am seriously in love with my slow cooker, thank you for sharing that recipe! 

KateBassett: I love love love that you brought out your special tea cup. That is a beautiful thing, such a sweet ritual.
I, too, am finding meal prep for the next day to be a really nice evening activity and boy am I thankful I made the effort by the time the next day comes around! Nothing like having good food ready to go!

Have a great day everyone! I'll check in later!

TGIF! We're on Day 5 :)  I'm feeling pretty good today and have felt like my sugar cravings have diminished a little bit too!  I've been fairly low energy but I'm hoping that changes over the next few days.  Lipstickandbacon: I also do HIIT and TRX classes, and just haven't had the motivation to go since Tues night! I need to schedule a class for tomorrow or Sunday...

I'm a little nervous for the next few days though because typically my boyfriend and i use the weekends to go out to eat/drink. Although he's not doing whole30 with me, he generally likes all of the meals and has been supportive.  Our favorite meal this week has been the Chocolate Chili from Well Fed (http://meljoulwan.com/2009/02/22/my-favorite-chili-recipe/). Having lots of leftovers has been helpful too. I don't have much of a plan for this weekend yet, which I know is not good.  I need to figure it out today so I can stop by the store on the way home from work and stock up.

I have a client lunch today and came prepared with my whole30 ranch.  Proud of myself for that :)

Have a great weekend everyone!! We're almost 1 week down!

• Moderators

What is the benefit of adding someone as a "friend" on this forum? Sorry, I'm not tech savvy :D

The only thing I've been able to tell is if you add someone then they're on your profile page so you can find a specific person easier if you were to want to message or post stalk them...

Hello, Day 5! So far, I think Day 4 was my most challenging. Nothing agonizing, but I was bone tired. 

This experience is all about learning about ourselves, right? Here's what I've learned so far (OK, most of this stuff I already knew, but I often need reminding):

• I'm very much influenced by cues and habits.
    • Last night hubby got some disappointing news from work. This is totally a time when we both would have sat down with a cocktail after a long, challenging day. Fortunately, we were able to recognize that and sit with the discomfort rather than tuning out with a drink.
  • Drinking enough water makes a whole lot of things better, like:
    • I wasn't as driven to snack
    • I slept better last night.
    • My jawline is emerging from the puffiness that was my face.
  • Exercise makes a whole lot of things better, like:
    • I slept better last night.
    • My joints didn't ache as much.
    • It was just a walk. That's all I can handle these days, but it really made a difference.

​Our family has this running joke of thanking your past self for doing something that benefited you in the future. So:

Thanks, Past Leslie, for sticking to your Whole30 plan, drinking plenty of water, and going for a walk. Current Leslie is most appreciative!

How's everyone doing with condiments? I saw a lot of people are making mayo- but my immersion blender is in storage and I hate making mayo so much! Salad dressing too- I decided to buy these things- pricey, but worth it.

Mayo- purchased this compliant avocado oil mayo on Thrive Market along with super cheap coconut aminos and my favorite Epic jerky bites. It was my first purchase on Thrive- I hope it arrives soon! They have most of the non-perishable items Whole Foods carries, delivered to your door at good prices. I have a link for other folks to get a discount on their order too- I'm posting it but if it's not ok I will take it down it down right away- I get a store credit when I refer people. It's helpful for me to order this stuff online because I don't have a car and it's the middle of winter so carrying around groceries stinks!  http://thrv.me/6kc5gM

Salad Dressing- Tessemae's Chesapeake dressing is SO good! 

Sunshine Sauce- as some who is addicted to Thai Takeout- this is CRACK. So good, and worth scooping up all the ingredients and wrestling with my full size blender. Ate this with at least one meal every day on my last Whole 30.

Has anyone tried the BBQ sauce or Catsup from the Wholee30 book? Any recommendations on stir fry sauce or other asian sauces?

I have been struggling with sever headaches all week! This is also something I struggle with (daily headaches and migraines)- a huge motivator to do Whole30. I seen an osteopath which has helped with the frequency, but the past 3 days has been awful. I tried using an ice pack and white flower oil which helped for a little but ultimately I had to take some Advil or I could have been in a horrible migraine.

I used to work overnights a lot, man do those shifts bring on the worst eating habits- I feel for ya

My headache is FINALLY resolved!! Hope your feeling better as well!!

Hi Rikki! *waving*

Thanks for commiserating with me on my te dance to freak out when it starts going well and eat all the junk! I hate it that I can't control that part of my behavior!

Good for you for going on and getting your acute care DNP! That is such an awesome achievement! I'm currently a hospital supervisor, which definitely keeps me running. It's not ever what I envisioned for myself (I wanted to be a derm NP or FPNP), but it's sort of a cool position for me right now. I get to jump in and help all over the hospital and see all the cool stuff. I also handle all the sad, hard, overwhelming stuff, which helped me to develop a wine and bread and cheese habit.

Do you work long shifts? I work 12's, which are really 14's of course, and haven't figured out timing for food quite yet. I don't think anyone at the hospital has, which is why every desk and nurses' station has a box of doughnuts, crackers, and chips. Right!?!?

Yes. Yes and yes. Essentially your whole post rang true for me. LOL

Going back to school was honestly a spur of the moment thing. Kinda caught even me by surprise. I'm not totally sure it was the right thing yet. I worked in a ICU before where we took anything and everything. We ran our tails off and I miss that immensely. Even the emotionally draining stuff. Now I sit at a desk and feel so disconnected :/

I also work 12s. Unlike those frequently turning into 14s as a nurse they really do stick close to 12 for me now. Sometimes 12 and 1/2 is all. So that's one bonus. The other lame thing is I work for the government so where full time used to by 72 hours (three 12s a week) now I have to do a full 80. So I have to get six 12 and an 8 hour in ever two weeks. That extra 8 hours is dumb! Lol

And even worse. Yes the food is TERRIBLE in the hospital. Nurses are also famous for lots of pot lucks and parties that do not help!

But we can do this! We will make it work!!

Archived