Starting February 15, 2016

Naz786

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Made it through day 2!

Now day 3 - YAY!

I am feeling ok - so maybe today the bad times will start. I have cut caffeine, dairy, sugar etc all from my diet so this is bound to hit home over the next day or so. I have found the daily emails really helpful so far, and think today's has really helped me mentally prepare! I also really like the little link you can goto at the end of the day - its silly but is motivating me!

Day1 my family sat and ate pizza in front of me, Day 2 they ate tea and beautiful cookies, so who knows what tonight will bring. It must be great to be doing this with others in your household!

Hi Everyone,

I started on Whole30 on the 15th too! I'm a runner and eat pretty healthy but I over indulged in sweets and wine during the holidays and want to reset my diet. Luckily my husband has been paleo for a couple of years so I'm use to cooking dinners that follow Whole30. My challenging time will be from 4pm - 6pm when I'm moving from work mode back to mom/wife mode. Any hints on how to navigate this time frame when I'm craving some kind of end of work sweet treat?

I find that having a particular ritual around transitions makes these times easier for me. (I often work from home, so the end of the workday can be a bit blurry). When I need to switch modes, I'll do something to symbolize that shift: change my clothes, make a cup of tea, go for a quick walk around the block, even write for five/ten minutes just to let things flow at that moment. Signals to my brain that one part of my day has ended and another has begun. I find that my craving for a sweet treat in the afternoon is my body's way of telling me 'You're tired! You worked hard today and are wanting a reward (and more energy to get through the rest of the day.)' The above activities tend my true needs and make me feel more refreshed (over time) than a snack or sweet. That said, if I'm actually hungry, I'll go ahead and make dinner a little early, even if it's 'off schedule'.

COFFEE: I have to say that the cream from coconut milk is yummy in coffee. Buy canned coconut milk and refrigerate. It will separate milk and fat. I then opened the can and split into two containers to keep separate.

I am so lucky that where I am, we can get a can with just the coconut cream part :wub:

To the group: first, the crispy chicken livers from Well Fed 2 were gross, though the recipe itself was spot-on and easy, and making something new was totally fun (be prepared for a mess though; the livers pop and jump while they cook). The liver taste though...just no.  

I really liked the crispy chicken livers (I'd never cooked liver before). I'd liked pate for a number of years but actually didn't know it was made from liver :P

Hi all, I have been lurking here reading everyone's posts and thought I'd join you, if you don't mind one more!

I'm Michelle, mom / RN / hospital supervisor from the Midwest. I have two little boys, ages 2 and 8. I have recently gained back 20 or so pounds that I had lost previously doing W30 two years ago. I've tried multiple times to get back on track and have discovered that I am quite the self-sabatoger. Anyone else? I start doing really well, feeling great, looking better, and then freak out and eat 10 bowls of Capn Crunch. (Or some similarly disgusting inflammatory food without breaks.). I can't seem to fall into a good place. I'm hoping this is it. Im also a cross fitter and the extra weight and inflammation I'm experiencing are pretty significant. Im hoping that will get better.

I have a lot of recipes and tricks and tips that have helped me be successful in the past, & I'm glad to share! I just need to figure out how to stop sabatoging myself on purpose when I start getting into the swing of things.

Best wishes everyone!

Michelle

Hi Michelle,

I like you used to be good at self sabotoging. I am now much better. I think because I have taken time to try to understand why and think about caring for myself and that I do deserve to be healthy. No more or less than anyone else. If you don't care for yourself and are sick who is going to care for your boys and you patients. A facourite quote is putting your oxygen mask on first when there is an emergency on a plane.

good luck, you can do this. As you said you have lots of tips and tricks.. Yes Please share them.. but use them for yourself as well.

love

Anita

I had the weirdest craving last night......a cigarette?!!?  I smoke almost never (I know that "almost never" is too much) and so I was totally surprised for that craving to come up. Whatever, Whole30 is the perfect reason to not give in to that craving, and just kick the dirty habit for good!

I do have to say though that a can of sparkling water usually gets rid of any craving for me- I think just the sound of opening the can makes it feel like a special treat. The La Croix brand is good- I think that's available at both Whole Foods and Target. 

My lunch yesterday didn't have enough protein- it was a sweet potato chicken curry, and there was way more sweet potatoes than chicken. I had a few nuts so I wouldn't go nuts, and packed a meat-filled lunch for today.

Going through my food pretty quickly- trying to keep two proteins, eggs, and two mixes of veggies on hand so meals are easier to put together. 

How is everyone else's cooking going?

I had the weirdest craving last night......a cigarette?!!?  I smoke almost never (I know that "almost never" is too much) and so I was totally surprised for that craving to come up. Whatever, Whole30 is the perfect reason to not give in to that craving, and just kick the dirty habit for good!

I do have to say though that a can of sparkling water usually gets rid of any craving for me- I think just the sound of opening the can makes it feel like a special treat. The La Croix brand is good- I think that's available at both Whole Foods and Target. 

My lunch yesterday didn't have enough protein- it was a sweet potato chicken curry, and there was way more sweet potatoes than chicken. I had a few nuts so I wouldn't go nuts, and packed a meat-filled lunch for today.

Going through my food pretty quickly- trying to keep two proteins, eggs, and two mixes of veggies on hand so meals are easier to put together. 

I am finding quitting smoking difficult too, I am fine all day its just the evening after dinner when I struggle! I tried to have a herbal tea last night instead but it was pretty gross, maybe sparkling water would be better, are their any other whole30 compliant drinks? 

As a side note I had tuna mixed with avocado for lunch today with a salad, it was soo yummy and I am not normally an avocado fan! Bonus points for being really quick and easy too.

• Moderators

I am so hungry! Doest matter if I eat a whole bag of carrots, I'm still craving a loaf of bread like crazy. or pretzels. or crackers. or popcorn. Seems only grains make me feel full. This is really challenging for me.

Head over to the Troubleshooting section of the forum and post a couple of days' worth of food, including portion sizes, water intake and exercise, and let's see if there's something you can change to feel better. You really shouldn't be hungry.

If you are hungry between meals, rather than just a bag of carrots, have a mini meal of protein, fat, and vegetables, so maybe with your carrots, have avocado or olives or mayo and a hard boiled egg or two or some leftover protein from a previous meal.

Troubleshooting section: http://forum.whole30.com/forum/19-troubleshooting-your-whole30/

I am so hungry! Doest matter if I eat a whole bag of carrots, I'm still craving a loaf of bread like crazy. or pretzels. or crackers. or popcorn. Seems only grains make me feel full. This is really challenging for me.

I am not speaking from a wealth of experience, as only on day 3, but always find protein fills me more when needing a snack or something to boost me along. Even before the whole 30 - eggs, chicken or nuts really help me out.

Hope it goes better today :)

Is anyone else feeling super full after eating, like almost to the point of feeling sick?  I'm following the meal planning guide, but don't ever feel like I can finish what is on my plate.  

In other news, I made it through day 2 without the hangover feeling, but my sugar dragon is begging for all the sweets right now (despite the fact that I just finished dinner, and I know I'm not hungry). 

Atomic_Ro, sounds like we are having similar experiences.  This is my first Whole30 and I am also feeling very full halfway through my meal and feeling some stomach issues...nothing too bad just kind of feeling icky.  I was even searching around for this topic on the forums.  There's a few threads on the topic that you might want to read yourself. 

For me, I think the new full feeling is because previously I ate very small (probably too small) meals for breakfast and lunch.  Plus those meals were no where near Whole 30 type meals (not much veggies...breakfast cereal, sandwich, pretzels).  Then later in the day I snacked a lot and overate at dinner.  I think my body just needs time to get used to the 3 well balanced meals with little to no snacking and frankly it needs to get used to better food.

I also made it through Day 2 without the hangover feeling and noticed just a few cravings....mostly afternoon and after dinner.  However, the hangover feeling is hitting hard today...tired and headache.  Hopefully you are feeling OK again on Day 3. 

... A facourite quote is putting your oxygen mask on first when there is an emergency on a plane.

good luck, you can do this. As you said you have lots of tips and tricks.. Yes Please share them.. but use them for yourself as well.

love

Anita

Thanks Anita, I really appreciate that visual about "putting on your oxygen mask first when there is an emergency on a plane".  That captures very well what I'm striving for right now.

Maybe just your body looking for something...anything...to fill the space? Definitely happens to me! Don't give in, you've got this! 

I feel the same way - going through what seems like a lot of food faster than I'd think. Finding that making more food/double batches up front is better in the long run. 

Feeling way better today than yesterday at this time.

Last night was my last night shift for a minute so I have four days off. I was able to sleep for three hours this morning, but now my day begins.

I still have a headache. It's been there since the one that tried to kill me yesterday arrived. It however is manageable and not any different then the chronic headaches I get anyway. Hoping that it will resolve by tomorrow.

Need to get some good food prep in today. Thinking of making a turkey pumpkin chili recipie I came across in the whole30 blog. I will let you all know how it turns out.

• Moderators

If you're hungry, you need to eat and a whole bag of carrots isn't going to do it... this is not like a normal 'diet' where you're expected to be hungry and try and get by on carrots and water.

If you want to open a troubleshooting thread and list your last few meals including portion sizes, we can help you dial the meals in so that you're able to go 4-5 hours between meals and not be starving.

I see Shannon got here before me and told you this same thing :)  My bad... but really, go on over and let us help you out!

Oh just an FYI....... I made the salmon cakes from the whole30 book the other day. They were fabulous. Even my kids ate them. I just wish they didn't leave everything smelling like fish for ever.

So far I have made

Spinach Frittata - from book

Tomato Ketchup - from book

Home made sausages - inspired by book - was enough to split for several meals

Curry Sauce - from book

Minced beef - doubled up to save some for later

Tomato Sauce  - to go with minced beef - was enough to split for another meal

Protein Salad - from book - made 3 at once and stored to grab

Mayonnaise - from book - making a larger batch tomorrow and going to make some of the other variations

All have been quick, simple, delicious and really enjoyable.

I am planning on trying a few more over the next few days - hopefully all as tasty!

How much sausage did you have? Was it a serving as big as the palm of your hand? Did you add fat at all? Your breakfast might have been on the small side.

You may have something there, I did have 2 sausage patties and an egg, but maybe needed more. Breakfast is a challenge for me as I'm not used to eating until after 10. As I read in the Whole30, I tend to eat more at night and less in the morning, so it's one of my goals to turn that around. I didn't have any fat...

Learning!

Hello everyone! It's Day 3 and I'm off and running.

I'm not great at the quote cut and paste thing, so I will just comment...

-I too feel hungry all the time! I've been having protein/cab/fat snacks which are helpful but my tummy feels empty. 

-conversely, I too am struggling with finishing my meals. To me the food feels "too rich". Maybe this is that adjustment of my body learning to use fat for fuel...?

-I made salmon cakes too and they are yummy (I reheated one for breakfast). But RICH (see above).

-thanks to everyone who shares things they've made and opinions about how it turned out.

Symptoms for me (yesterday and today): "must sleep right now!", headache, fatigue (kind of normal for me but feels more pronounced), jittery, and HUNGRY.

I hope to check in again this evening.

Hang in there everyone! I am so impressed with our determination!! We are doing it!

Today I roasted a big head of cauliflower and ate a ton of it; really delicious! In the past, I've passed cauliflower by, as my only true experience with it has been raw and boring. This was MUCH different. I'm also proud that I bought a cauliflower and didn't let it rot in the back of my refrigerator :)

I didn't plan well for my lunch protein, so I had an apple with almond butter, and a (compliant) Larabar, which is not optimal and is supposed to be used as an emergency snack. Good learning experience that I need more easy protein on hand. I originally reached for the tuna in the cupboard but realized it was a no-no, given the ingredients, one of which is soy.

Yikes.

Tonight for dinner, we're having turkey burgers, made with a recipe from Well Fed 2 (and I made extra!). I made them during my lack-of-protein lunch break, ironically. They look and smell awesome! My boyfriend and I will split a baked potato and an avocado for sides. Could use more greens in there.

Oh - my boyfriend is not doing the Whole30. I find this a bit challenging, participating in the Whole30 while my partner is not. I'm finding myself struggling a little with compromise in regards to the health of our relationship and determination (and feeling selfish) in regards to my personal health and wellness. 

Is anyone else out there doing this in a household where not all members are participating? Any helpful tips? Thanks!

I am Heidi...my husband is sort of doing W30 but not 100%. I also have an almost 16 yo son at home who is not doing it. It does make it more challenging, but YAY! for you and cauliflower :D

I just popped in to say: homemade almond milk is amazing! I don't know why I've never tried making it before, it's super easy, all you need is a top-notch blender and a nut milk bag (for straining). I used the recipe from Nom Nom Paleo, subbing powdered vanilla for the vanilla extract.

I had my first dream/nightmare last night! I dreamt that I woke up and there was a cup of Carls Jr soda in my hand and I started crying! lol Other than that, Day 1 was easy, I meal prepped all day for the whole week. Day 2 I had a headache the last half of the day ( I took ibuprofen out of desperation and that didn't even make it go away). Today (Day 3) has been ok - On Wednesday they bring catered lunch for us at work so that was ab it tough. When i get cravings I just drink a lot of water to make myself feel full. Other than that I feel a bit slugish today.

Does anyone know of Whole30 approved EVOO and garlic salt? I can't seem to find any without sugar for EVOO and without soy for Garlic Salt.

Thanks all for the daily motivation! <3

Archived