Wide Awake at Night

katerpa

On day 24 of my first Whole 30. I feel great. So great, in fact I am ready to run a marathon or clean the house at midnight. I usually sleep great 10p-530am and wake up feeling great (this is pre Whole 30.) But now I struggle with falling and staying asleep. It is as though at any point I am ready to "fight or flight." Tiger blood is great during the day, but at night I would like some "bear in hibernation" blood please!

• Moderators

So we need to know when you get up. What you do during the day. When you go to bed. Your going to bed routine. We need to know what you have been eating and how much you have been eating for the past 2-3 days. We also need to know what and how much you are drinking. 

I get up at 530am but on the whole 30 I start waking around 430-5 and have to try to dose for 15 min at a time. I am very active, exercise for an hour 5 days a week with two rest days. In the evening I usually veg out reading or TV until around 930 when I go to bed and either talk with my partner or fall asleep.

I am doing the whole 30 as a pescatarian and usually eat a big meal around 6, fish, veggies and nuts. Sometimes if I feel a little hungry later in evening I have a banana with almond butter, nuts and almond milk ( a pretend cereal bowl.) Half of the nights I just go to bed without a snack. 

I do feel hungry on the nights I can't sleep but I am too lazy to get up and eat and want to be sleeping. I drink a ton of water, 1 cup of coffee in the am.

Occasional cup of black tea in the afternoon if I had a sleepless night and feel tired.

• Moderators

Read this excellent post with sleep tips.

Right off the bat, I'd recommend you:

• Stop snoozing in the morning (if that's what you mean when you say you doze for 15 min at a time)
  • Turn off all screens (tv, phone, computer) at least one hour before you go to bed
  • Cut out the afternoon tea, it's just exacerbating your sleep issues.
  • You may have to forgo coffee or switch to decaf in the a.m., some people are very sensitive to any caffeine

Some people find including some starchy veg like sweet potato at night helps them sleep better.

It also appears you are eating a LOT of nuts. Try swapping out nuts for another fat source -- drizzle olive oil on your veggies, a big handful of olives, a big dollop of ghee or coconut butter on your sweet potato.

I am actually going to add here to Ultrarunnergirl's comments that nuts - will make me super wired and unable to sleep.  As well as contributing to stomach digestive issues.  So I highly recommend that you leave them out for the next few days and see if things improve.

Archived