It's alive!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are a bit scary. I started mine from a GT's original and it has been growing quite nicely. I'm on my third or so batch.

Okay well doing it. I have my big jar and my little amber bottles (so pretty) and my Kombucha Gingerade (cuz Robin said I could) so here I go. Oh..I also have a room I can keep warm. It used to be a room with a snake (his name was Allen and he belonged to my daughter) but now it's a room to just be warm for Kombucha Scooby-Do. :)

I am making my 2nd batch of Kombucha. After reading all of the posts on how to make it I have a couple questions.

1. I have been using organic cane sugar but I noticed that white sugar was mentioned. Does it matter?

2. When my batch was done, I put it in empty GTs Kombucha bottles that have been cleaned. Is this acceptable? I drank all of it and it seemed ok.

My first batch seemed a little sweet not sure why. I am getting ready to bottle the second batch now. I tasted it this morning and it seemed more vinegary. I am really not sure if I am doing it right or not. I do wish I could get the "fizz" like the bottled Kombucha that you buy in the store.

Thanks!

kellyp - I'm on batch number 2 as well!

As for your questions:

1 - either is fine, just make sure you're getting enough sugar in there.

2 - From what I understand the keys are clean and glass. You should be good.

3 - You may not have let your batch go long enough, though mine was sweet AND vinegary (SO GOOD). To get that fizz, I'm told that you can add a little fruit juice (I did that, also SO GOOD) and cap it tightly for a couple of days (I didn't do that) to get that crazy fizz.

kellyp - I'm on batch number 2 as well!

As for your questions:

1 - either is fine, just make sure you're getting enough sugar in there.

2 - From what I understand the keys are clean and glass. You should be good.

3 - You may not have let your batch go long enough, though mine was sweet AND vinegary (SO GOOD). To get that fizz, I'm told that you can add a little fruit juice (I did that, also SO GOOD) and cap it tightly for a couple of days (I didn't do that) to get that crazy fizz.

So I would add the fruit juice to the bottle that I am storing it in? What kind of fruit juice did you use?

Well, I dove in. I found the plain Kombucha...it bugged me that all the info said "plain"..I learned my lesson with my ghee made with salted butter. YUCKO!! It's in my second bedroom which I turned up the baseboard heat. I keep my house pretty cold, so this was the perfect place to keep it. Excited to see it grow. :)

Success...my scooby do is beautiful. Going to give it another week and then I will bottle half of it plain amd the other half with ginger. Then what do I do with the mother? Keep it and add it to more tea and sugar? Will it eat me and my little dog too? :blink:

Ok, I'm dying to make kombucha. I've never tasted the flavoured ones, they're not available over here but I love the plain one. I'd never even tasted it until W30. I wish I'd read this thread first as I didn't realise you could make your own scoby (I've ordered one off ebay). My question is about the sugar. I don't think I've got any cane sugar in the house but i think I've got some coconut sugar somewhere. Can I use that or honey or does it have to be cane sugar?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I successfully nurtured a kombucha baby!! I will be ready to start my first actual batch by the end of the week! :D

Did you name it? I totally would have named mine (Harold probably). I am starting my 'boochy experiment in the new year so I will have a billion questions for you. Did you start it with a bottle from the store or a bought SCOBY? DEETS!!

Archived