It's alive!

Did you name it? I totally would have named mine (Harold probably).

Mine grew so large, I named it Noel :) (which you probably won't understand unless you're in the UK) Noel Fielding is a surrealist comedien whose TV show was 'The Mighty Boosh'.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, since I am in good company I can admit that I named my SCOBY Hoggle. Weird, I know. There was a movie that I LOVED as a kid called Labyrinth. Hoggle was the kind hearted troll. Lol

And I did start it from a bottle of store bought kombucha. I used these instructions..

http://www.paprikahead.com/2009/07/how-to-brew-your-own-kombucha-from.html

Anyone with questions, let me know! I am going to a kombucha brewing class at the library on the 22nd!

Questions, I think I need an interpreter... none of this makes much sense to me.... can I have a reference? Kombucha 101 or Kombucha for dummies? I vaguely know its a fermented drink? but thats about all.... After giving up tea and coffee for awhile I am getting really tired of herbal teas plus my digestion could do with some probiotics so I think this might be something I need to know more about.... please enlighten me someone (in very plain english though....)

Questions, I think I need an interpreter... none of this makes much sense to me.... can I have a reference? Kombucha 101 or Kombucha for dummies? I vaguely know its a fermented drink? but thats about all.... After giving up tea and coffee for awhile I am getting really tired of herbal teas plus my digestion could do with some probiotics so I think this might be something I need to know more about.... please enlighten me someone (in very plain english though....)

Okay, kombucha is tea and sugar that has been fermented by a culture made of healthy yeasts and bacteria. When it is finished it is tart and full of good bugs for your bowels. You can flavor it with fruit and spices and whatnot. You find a brand at the store that you like that is unpasturized and you mix it with some sweet tea and grow your own culture to brew kombucha. That link a couple posts up explains the process really well.

I'm totally going to do this. Totally.

Can you do it with decaf tea?

I checked into this and opinions vary. Some say yes and some say that the culture needs the caffine. I think an experiment is in order! Tea and white sugar are fairly cheap so when I have some batches under my belt I will give it a go.

I love kombucha...I just blogged about how to make it earlier today. It's super easy and fun. If you are interested you can see the recipe and the pictures here. You can also learn everything you want to know about kombucha over at www.kombuchakamp.com I found their information really helpful. Real Food Renegade and Balanced Bites also have good information.

SQUEEEEE! So my bff who works at a naturopathic doctor's office just called me and said she has a SCOBY for me from one of her co-workers! I am FREEEEKING excited!!! MOAR EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!!!!!

Did you get your SCOBY? I am on the hunt for a sun tea like jar with a spigot so I can get rolling!

Thanks!!

Rebecca, I also forget where you are. Using tapatalk on my Kindle tablet and it doesn't tell me. I just did a search on amazon and found lots of options. My favorite is the pretty vintage looking green one. Kinda spendy, but it may be a birthday present from me to me. :)

I am in northern Illinois. I la-la-love amazon! What did you search? Kombucha, sun tea jar...?

I typed in sun tea jar with spigot. Then when you click on one, you'll see the "other customers viewed" choices. There are a ton. You can even buy a good spigot to replace the cheap ones that they put on a lot of them. The good spigots are only 4 bucks.

Juzbo - kombucha is a drink made by fermenting sweetened tea. The fermentation is aided by a SCOBY which stands for symbiotic colony of bacteria. It's basically a slimy mushy thing that feeds on the sugar in the tea. When the drink is done, most of the sugar has been consumed by the bacteria and you're left with a tart fizzy delicious beverage. It's full of live probiotic bacteria so it's good for your gut but mostly I drink it because it tastes good. Once it's done you can flavor it with things like fruit juice or raisins to give it even more taste. Some people hate it but lots of us love it!

I got a 5 gallon stainless steel pot with a spigot that will serve as my continuous brew pot as soon as I can get a scoby and get going. My plan is to do a bunch of research over the next couple of days so I know what I'm doing.Yeah!

I bought my first scoby and the instructions that came with it said on no account to let it touch any metal or use a metal spoon or anything like that. Mind you, I've no idea why, I've just been scrupulously avoiding metal with it ever since.

I believe stainless steel is the exception to this. There are some kombucha peeps that firmly believe you should only ferment in glass. I personally don't want to look at the stuff on my counter, so the stainless steel works for me LOL

Now that was funny. Keep us posted with your huge scoby success story. :0)

Archived