Struggling

I recently discovered that I have a slew of new food allergies (to go along with several old ones I've had all my life) and my ENT doctor recommended "It Starts With Food" as a jumping off point to alleviate food allergies. I began my attempt about 6 weeks ago and have yet to remain compliant for longer than 2 weeks (usually more like 2 days). With all my new known food allergens, I'm basically allergic to everything except what is Whole30 compliant as well as tree nuts and eggs. This is very limiting to my diet and makes it difficult to stick to for very long. My thoughts are "I'm going to have to live the Whole30 lifestyle the rest of my life, why stick to a full 30 days?"

I did see an improvement in skin and GI issues for the two weeks I remained compliant as well as some weight loss which was great, but not enough of an incentive for me to give up bread and chocolate long term. I've reread the "This isn't hard..." mantra over and over in the hopes of encouraging myself to stick with at least 30 days, but ultimately I know I'm stuck in this diet for life and feel the need for treats to get myself through. I'd love to be able to remove myself from sugar and allergens completely but it's just not happening. I need some guidance on how to stick with this long term (even though this isn't meant to be a long term plan) because ultimately I'm allergic to everything else!

All help greatly appreciated!  :)

You're correct, it was designed for 30 days.  If it's not sustainable now it won't last for a lifetime.  

Visiting with your ENT doctor may be the encouragement you need to work out a plan you can live with for the rest of your life.   Sitting down face to face with someone who cares about your health is meaningful in so many ways.  They can be the anchor you need to pull you out of discouragement. 

Many may search for answers within themselves but those deep grooves in the brain need a backhoe or road grader.  Course corrections can be found with an ENT or medical professional/counselor.   Face to face counsel for the long road ahead.

• Moderators

There are thousands of vegetables, meats, poultry, fish, and fruits available to you. Maybe 10,000. You don't even recognize the names of all the veggies and fruits you can eat and you certainly haven't tried them. On the other hand, I would be willing to bet the list of what you feel deprived of being able to eat without health consequences does not add up to 40 items. Stop looking backwards. Look forwards. 

One minor point: You may be allergic to so much stuff because your health is awful. If you take care of yourself and eat right for a sustained period, some of your allergies are likely to fade away. That might allow you to consume small amounts of foods that currently cause you trouble without suffering. However, until you take care of yourself fully for a sustained period, you will never know. 

First of all - stop being hard on yourself - this is a learning process and you are busy figuring stuff out.  And sometimes we are slower to accept things, than other times.  

Have you ever tried focusing your attention on what you CAN have rather than what you can't? 

You sound like me about a year and half ago when I can to the realization that I have to stick with a mainly AIP and low FODMAP protocol - Doing one or the other is already pretty limiting - but BOTH?  ARRRRGH!  I went into extreme pity party mode.....

But then I though about it and came to terms with it.  If I eat certain things and I feel crummy - it's my own fault!  I KNOW what will make me feel better.   But then there is the argument - well, I really enjoy X - I should be able to enjoy X.  But the reality is X makes me feel like crap!

So now every time I want to enjoy X I think about it.  I have a conversation with myself - Ok - X is in front me.  I give myself permission to eat X.  But I know X will make me feel Yucky.  How much do I WANT to feel Yucky the next few days?  If the answer is NO - I don't want to feel Yucky - then walk away.  I have my decision.  But if I somewhat want X things do get a little trickier.  Then I start rating it out of 10.  10 being - I really, really, really want it and I fully accept the conditions my body will give me afterwards.  But very often when you are stuck in the middle it's a harder call.  So that is why when I rate it and it is anything under 8 - I walk away.  This is somewhat hard to do I'll admit.  But then you can bargain with yourself - ok - you chose not to have that but - what else is yummy, and that I enjoy?  Or what is a treat that I can enjoy outside of food?  Maybe you enjoy having a mani/pedi - so do that instead.  Or maybe book a massage.  Or it could be as simple as taking a nice long bubble bath.

Thank you all so much for the encouraging words. I have definitely learned about and tried many new veggies and have discovered sunflower butter now that I've uncovered a peanut allergy as well. I love the idea of bargaining. Unfortunately I haven't been walking a way for foods less than a "5", but I think upping my "food standards" will definitely help me determine what foods are worth the trouble. Thank you for the advice!!

I wish my ENT had recommended ISWF! I might not have had to have some surgery :P

Seriously, if you're seeing an ENT because you feel that bad, it's time to review priorities. When we've been sick a long time it's really hard to envision a life where we aren't sick or feeling crappy. Giving up foods can seem really hard, but when you see results, it's all worth it. No "bread" or "chocolate" is Whole30 compliant, but post-Whole30, there's a lot of grain and dairy free "breads" as well as chocolate, so if grains or dairy are a problem for you, there's still other options for long term.

Eliminating gluten and dairy (and some recovery time) means I no longer take any medications for my sinuses, I don't need sprays or neti pots or pills or steam treatments, I never have to skip work due to lack of sleep because I was barely able to breathe all night, I never have to load up on drugs to get through a special event like a wedding. For the most part I'm close to "normal" now, but I will never recover from some of the damage and I had surgery as well which can't be undone (it makes me crazy now, thinking the thing they gave me straight after surgery was a gluten-filled sandwich).

I no longer have an ENT, but I don't need one anymore (had one for about 6 years), I got rid of arthritis, extreme sinus pain and swelling, sinus headaches, sore teeth (sinus pressure), brain fog, lethargy and just so many things I can't list them all right now. If you'd told me I could have this quality of life years ago, I would have thought it was just wishful thinking. Health is one of those things you don't always appreciate until it's gone.

If you haven't tried going grain & dairy free for a full 30 days and doing the Reintroductions, I recommend doing a full Whole30 and see if you still have as many sensitivities as you do now (if you have leaky gut, once the gut is leaky, everything is tough on the body as it's getting into your blood stream and maybe even your brain, that's where I was my first Whole30). Check with your doctor before Reintroducing anything either in your Whole30 or after.

Thank you all again for your comments, suggestions and support. I'm back on track and on day 5 currently. I have a long road ahead of me but I'm keeping your advice close at hand for this go-round. I have my first follow up with my ENT in a month and I hope to have good results to show for it. 

Thanks so much to all of you!

Archived