WeightWatcher on Whole30

Evie

Hello! 

So I am new to Whole30. Day 3! Feeling okay. I have not had any crazy headaches or cravings but I think that is more because I don't really have a sweet tooth ( I am certified addicted to pizza).

Things have been okay. I desperately need to remove a bottle of wine that is sitting in my fridge and I had a seriously disastrous Whole30 ranch experience on Day 1. 

I am writing because I wanted to get some feedback on portions. Whole30 is my second "diet" ever. I have only ever done WeightWatchers, so needless to say I am lost without strict portion control guidelines. I feel like I am eating too much and I am eating too much meat and potatoes. I have had a potato with dinner every night. Is that too much? Ahh! I am lost. I am afraid that I going to end up replacing my old bad habits with new ones. The experience is much more than about weight loss for me but I want to make sure that I am getting the most results possible. 

Any suggestions? 

• Moderators

We tell you exactly how much to eat in our meal planning template. If you follow the template, you will do wonderfully well. See the link below. Notice that we ask you to figure out how much to eat based upon the size of your hand. That means that bigger people eat more and smaller people eat less automatically. When you tell others how much you are eating around here, use the size guidance we give you. Measuring and weighing like Weight Watchers is against the rules. :)

Almost everyone should eat at least one fist-size serving of a starchy veggie like potatoes every day. People who are very active may need to eat three servings per day. If you are eating one or two servings per day, you are doing fine. 

How much to eat

Relax.  Take a nice deep breath.  Now take another one.  This is not that complicated - in fact it's really, really easy.  Everything you need to know is in your hand.

Okay - now take a look at you hand.  See the height, length and depth of your palm?  Good. 

This is the size of protein you should be eating.  If you are hungrier than this?  Eat more.  

Make your hand into a fist.  You should at least eat this sized portion of starchy veg daily.  More if you active, are pre menstrual, or have mood issues.

Vegetables - aim for 1 to 3 cups of vegetables with every single meal.  If it is salad - make sure your salad is HUGE - think of all those greens as cooked and wilted.  When they are cooked and wilted they don't amount for much - so when salads are your main source of veg think mixing bowl size.

Take a look at your thumbs - these are your fat portions.  We don't really count cooking fat around these parts as most of it gets left behind in the pan.....

Fruit - again look at your fist - 1 - 2 fist sized portions of fruit a day.  And please oh please - make sure that fruit does not push veggies off of your plate.

I'm struggling with this too.  The protein and veggie guidelines are clear, but I'm worried about eating the right amount of fat as I don't always use "whole" sources of fat. I am trying to lose weight.  If I have, for example, a salad....I'm just not sure how much salad dressing to use.  I'm making my own dump ranch which has oil and coconut milk (fats), but also has things like vinegar (freebie), egg (protein), etc.  So if I have a big salad with chicken and a ton of veggies, is a couple of tbsp of dressing enough fat?  Should I also add some avocado and if so, how much?  

Another example is when I make a recipe such as the salmon cakes, there is fat in the recipe.  But is it enough?  Should I also have a sauce with it?

I am probably overthinking this (I usually overthink things!) but would appreciate some help.  Thank you!

• Moderators

I'm struggling with this too.  The protein and veggie guidelines are clear, but I'm worried about eating the right amount of fat as I don't always use "whole" sources of fat. I am trying to lose weight.  If I have, for example, a salad....I'm just not sure how much salad dressing to use.  I'm making my own dump ranch which has oil and coconut milk (fats), but also has things like vinegar (freebie), egg (protein), etc.  So if I have a big salad with chicken and a ton of veggies, is a couple of tbsp of dressing enough fat?  Should I also add some avocado and if so, how much?  

Another example is when I make a recipe such as the salmon cakes, there is fat in the recipe.  But is it enough?  Should I also have a sauce with it?

I am probably overthinking this (I usually overthink things!) but would appreciate some help.  Thank you!

It probably won't hurt anything to add some fat to either of those. With the salad especially, think about how sometimes dressing is left in the bottom of the bowl when you're done, so you didn't actually eat all of it.

I would add fats to make things taste good. If you think an avocado or some olives or even some chopped nuts or sunflower seeds sound good in your salad, go ahead and add them. If you think some homemade tartar sauce would be good with your salmon cakes, have some.

The best indicator for whether you're eating enough is really how you feel between meals. If you can go 4-5 hours between meals, and you're just starting to get hungry around that 4th hour, you've got the right mix of stuff. If you're getting hungry 2-3 hours after a meal, you probably need to increase something, and if you're sure you're eating enough vegetables and enough protein, then increase the fat. If you're going 7-8 hours easily between meals without feeling hungry at all, then you may have overdone it a bit and should scale back the fat in the next meal.

Thank you Shannon, this is really helpful.  I do ok between breakfast and lunch, but I'm getting hungry between lunch and dinner (it's a longer period of time, too) so maybe I do need to up my fat at lunchtime.  I just worry about relying on my hunger as a guide because I've always had a big appetite!  But maybe Whole30 will help me regulate that and guide me to a more "normal" appetite.  I'm on day 5 so still have a lot to learn.

• Moderators

Thank you Shannon, this is really helpful.  I do ok between breakfast and lunch, but I'm getting hungry between lunch and dinner (it's a longer period of time, too) so maybe I do need to up my fat at lunchtime.  I just worry about relying on my hunger as a guide because I've always had a big appetite!  But maybe Whole30 will help me regulate that and guide me to a more "normal" appetite.  I'm on day 5 so still have a lot to learn.

If you have a longer time than 4-5 hours between lunch and dinner and you get hungry, you can eat a mini meal. Ideally that is fat, protein and veg but in a pinch, two of the three (fat and protein or protein and veg) is sufficient.  Don't rely on fruit and nut butters for this mini meal...

Archived