Brazilian Steak House

DaniCarbone

• Moderators

Well, yes, I guess you can (provided you've checked on the seasonings, oils and additives to make sure it's compliant) but you're not really doing yourself a service by gorging on meat with no vegetables or fat...

Okay, thanks! So if I eat only "picanha" which is the tri-tip cut of the top sirloin, seasoned only with coarse salt and add some raw greens to my plate, like kale, spinach, lettuce, all with no dressing, just some olive oil, salt and pepper, I should be fine, right?

I can also have tomatoes and how about hearts of palms?

• Moderators

In general, hearts of palm are okay -- but if they're canned, you'd have to ask about ingredients. You also need to ask the restaurant if the steak is marinated in anything, and ask what oil they cook it in (some places cook in peanut or soybean oil -- either of those would be off limits), and make sure they don't add butter at any point (some steakhouses add melted butter to steak even after it's been cooked to improve the taste). Or specifically ask that it be dry grilled, salt & pepper only, no butter.

One place to start is to check to see if the restaurant has a website, and look to see if they have an allergen menu. Even the most complete allergen menu won't tell you about sugar or honey or other sweeteners, but they typically will at least list gluten, soy, MSG, and dairy -- it's a place to start, and if your steak were to show any of those, then you could call and ask if that's due to a sauce or marinade that could be left off.

Check out this dining out guide for more information.

I think your fine Dani,, If the meat is simply roasted over the fire your good. I would say most of the meats not marinated   Thats what the Chimmy Churry sauce is for on your plate….  AND CHIMMY CHURRY IS TOATLY  A OK Compliant!!  ENJOY and eat some veggies with it or the food police will be after you.

• Moderators

I think your fine Dani,, If the meat is simply roasted over the fire your good. I would say most of the meats not marinated   Thats what the Chimmy Churry sauce is for on your plate….  AND CHIMMY CHURRY IS TOATLY  A OK Compliant!!  ENJOY and eat some veggies with it or the food police will be after you.

Chimmy Churry made with compliant ingredients is totally a-ok compliant.  It's an oil based sauce and as such one would want to ask the question about what kind of oil is used and what the other ingredients are... it's also made with vinegar and it's impossible to know if the vinegar is compliant.

It is unlikely that the meats are not seasoned or marinated in some way... 

• Moderators

Olive oil is the traditional oil used.. I think she'll be just fine   :)

And maybe most of the restaurants use olive oil. But olive oil is more expensive than some other options, so some restaurants don't use it. You cannot know, even at a nice restaurant, unless you ask.

Think about the traditional way of making just about anything, and then think how it's usually made now. Mayo, for instance -- at its simplest, egg, oil, lemon juice, but compare that to the ingredients in Hellmann's or Kraft. Or think about the restaurants that add pancake batter to scrambled eggs. What's up with that?

Yes, nicer restaurants are more likely to use quality ingredients -- but there's no guarantee that they do. That's why we always stress the need to ask.

Thank you much everybody!

Yesterday I went to a Brazilian Steak House here in Houston called Fogo de Chao and it was delicious!

I had only the Brazilian style picanha which is a special cut of top sirloin and it's seasoned  with sea salt, rubbed on both sides of the steak. Skewered and placed in a spinning rotisserie for about 10 minutes above a coal barbecue.

Got some raw veggies to go with it and it was awesome.

http://foodfanatics.usfoods.com/recipes/tender-sirloin-filet-mignon

Archived