Starting November First!!

Raven

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still hanging in, but barely. Someone mentioned being tired of eggs. I am just plain tired of cooking! Usually I enjoy cooking as much as my other hobbies, but planning for enough protein and veggies is a real challenge, plus I've had several meals out.

Anyway, our three days of rain appear to be drawing to a close, and that will improve my mood for sure! Even the cat was complaining yesterday!

i do feel as if I am getting a cold -- a genuine one, no "carb flu". Scratchy throat, slight headache, bit of the sniffles. I don't take any meds except homeopathic ones, so I am probably in for a few days of discomfort. Yuk! First cold in at least two years!

Sorry to be kvetching...I thought I was coming up on a "feel good" phase of Whole 30. Maybe I need to retread the calendar section.

how is everyone else doing?

On 11/11/2016 at 2:17 PM, Ktjoh07 said:

Im also on day 11 and feeling the achey, dizzy runny nose syptoms my guess is that our bodies are still detoxing im pushing through with lots of water and getting my carbs in as a #1 priority im hoping im doing this for all the right reasons.

im sure my body is in shock from years of bad eating habits

heres to a new healthier lifestyle!

we got this!

I made it through the achey period and am back to the "energy" stage.  Here we are on Day 15!  It is amazing to see how the body starts to react to all these changes.  Slept 10 hours last night and woke up feeling great.  I was laughing with a friend that I havent felt like this since the age when I was still building forts!  I am over the hump and the 30 day goal is in sight. I also believe doing this program will have great longer term implications for how I eat and so for that I am very thankful.  I would be lying if I didnt say I am really looking forward to that first doble IPA on Dec 1st but I am not bouncing off the wall for it so that is good.

One thing has been nagging me, I have been 100% compliant but I still find myself snacking too much.  I am 6'4" and was 235lbs when this started so I was a prettty bad eater/snacker when ths started.  I am going to really try to focus on 3 hearty meals to avoid my Lara Bar or beef stick crutches.  I can already feel changes but I feel like sticking even closer to the "rules" for this second half will lead to even more dramatic results.

Good luck everyone, we are almost there!

2 hours ago, Jmb369 said:

c

2 hours ago, Jmb369 said:

do feel as if I am getting a cold -- a genuine one, no "carb flu". Scratchy throat, slight headache, bit of the sniffles. I don't take any meds except homeopathic ones, so I am probably in for a few days of discomfort. Yuk! First cold in at least two years!

That's spooky - I'm also down with a fluey cold. Started with glands up and today just in bed feeling like death. Got up  to make slow roast tomato soup. Now so wiped out I'm back to bed. I know the best foods for recovery are complient ones but all I want is fruit and veg. Really can't face protein. Have put a help call (re medication/how to manage sickness )out so will see what comes back. 

Hope you feel better soon

Day 15 you guys! We're halfway through!!! 

But i have to say... I, too, can't staaand to cook anymore. I used to cook before, anyway, but this involves so much planning that it's exhausting. Thinking that it has to be like that forever is kinda overwhelming. But ok hahaha

lets focus on the positives, right? some NSV so far:

- my skin is SO much clearer

- loose clothes

- getting creative on the kitchen : i know it sucks to cook, i really do. but i'm glad i'm being able to come up with things that are more fun than chicken breasts and salad for lunch.

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, liv.88 said:

Day 15 you guys! We're halfway through!!! 

But i have to say... I, too, can't staaand to cook anymore. I used to cook before, anyway, but this involves so much planning that it's exhausting. Thinking that it has to be like that forever is kinda overwhelming. But ok hahaha

lets focus on the positives, right? some NSV so far:

- my skin is SO much clearer

- loose clothes

- getting creative on the kitchen : i know it sucks to cook, i really do. but i'm glad i'm being able to come up with things that are more fun than chicken breasts and salad for lunch.

I'm not sure how you do meal planning/cooking, but for me it's helpful to cook a bunch of stuff at once so I'm not cooking all the time -- I sort of do the weekly cook up method described here: http://meljoulwan.com/2010/01/14/paleo-kitchen-the-method-behind-my-madness/

If you don't want to cook everything for the week in one day, you can also just be sure you make extra food every time you do cook, with the goal of having enough leftovers that there are times you don't need to cook so you give yourself a break, at least for a meal. if you've made extra chicken, for instance, and have vegetables you've already chopped, a stir fry is quick and easy. You might also find these "no recipe required" ideas helpful: http://meljoulwan.com/2014/06/25/great-ingredients-recipe-required/

5 minutes ago, ShannonM816 said:

I'm not sure how you do meal planning/cooking, but for me it's helpful to cook a bunch of stuff at once so I'm not cooking all the time -- I sort of do the weekly cook up method described here: http://meljoulwan.com/2010/01/14/paleo-kitchen-the-method-behind-my-madness/

If you don't want to cook everything for the week in one day, you can also just be sure you make extra food every time you do cook, with the goal of having enough leftovers that there are times you don't need to cook so you give yourself a break, at least for a meal. if you've made extra chicken, for instance, and have vegetables you've already chopped, a stir fry is quick and easy. You might also find these "no recipe required" ideas helpful: http://meljoulwan.com/2014/06/25/great-ingredients-recipe-required/

Hey, Shannon! thanks!!!

I haven't been able to cook everything on sunday so far, and I've been trying to cook more during the week so I can have leftovers. It usually works, but i fell like I'm running out of ideas, you know? I usually cook something nicer on fridays cause I have the extra time, but I'm exhaaausted. Chances are I'm being whiny, anyway.  It's hard work caring for our food.

It was a busy weekend visiting friends so I wasn't connecting to the web so much. We had a few meals out but I did a lot of cooking in their home with what was available. Made extras so they'd have some for the week ;) 

Some NSV for me... Visiting that friend took a lot of driving. Before,  when I'd make a stop,  everything would be stiff. This time when I stopped for breaks.... No problem. Get up,  get out,  get moving. No wait time until my body loosened up. Plus I had a better night's sleep last night. So much so,  my body said,  'no I'm  comfy here'.  Brain said,  'come on let's go already'.  

I'm not having tiger blood yet but I feel it's getting closer.

Day 14 and I am starting to notice I look a little slimmer around my midsection. It feels good to eat and not feel gross and bloated after. 

I'm still having cravings but not nearly as bad as in the beginning. I was/am a major sugar addict so I know it will take more than two weeks to really feel freed from it.

Hope everyone else is starting to see/feel some benefits as well. We're a day away from half way :D

still here.  had an unexpected trip i needed to take out of town due to family emergency.  have never bought a plane ticket 4 hours before boarding a plane before.  

traveling is super difficult (for me) anyway to begin with.  am staying compliant and adhering to template.  glass of wine is tempting - so tempting - due to stress.  but i know then that's it.  once i do that, then the w30 is over.  so i am sticking to my guns.  also, missing cream and sugar in my coffee - usually such a comfort when i travel.    i hit the wall too, last week, with cooking.  got some take out salmon -already cooked - at a local deli which was nice.  then cooked up some potatoes/brussel sprouts/meat.  I have the well fed cook book which I dug out and made some amazing chicken that my family (not doing W30) really liked.  So, plan to make a few more of those dishes when I get home.   i highly recommend her approach to prepping, and her ideas are easy, flexible and very tasty.  

i think the sugar dragon is at rest but I do miss the emotional comfort of some foods (especially when stressed).  I guess i'm just becoming more aware of my eating patterns. and, eating really never makes you feel better emotionally anyway.  it just distracts from the issue for a while then you still have the issue PLUS the guilt about having eaten junk.  

8 minutes ago, AB_MN said:

traveling is super difficult (for me) anyway to begin with.  am staying compliant and adhering to template.  glass of wine is tempting - so tempting - due to stress.  

I am a nervous flyer myself. Still, I love to travel. So when I fly I do things like deep breathing exercises, good self-talk, meditation, prayer, and use distractions like books, music, and journaling to help me stay relaxed. I have a prescription for anti-anxiety medication but I try to only use that as a last resort.

When you want that glass of wine just remind yourself that even though it will relax you for a few hours, the next day you will feel even more anxious because of the way alcohol affects serotonin levels in our brains. Stay hydrated (especially while flying), get extra sleep if you need it, and stick with complaint foods and I bet that despite your stressful circumstances, you will feel physically and emotionally strong. *hugs*

1 hour ago, AB_MN said:

just

1 hour ago, AB_MN said:

still here.  had an unexpected trip i needed to take out of town due to family emergency.  have never bought a plane ticket 4 hours before boarding a plane before.  

traveling is super difficult (for me) anyway to begin with.  am staying compliant and adhering to template.  glass of wine is tempting - so tempting - due to stress.  but i know then that's it.  once i do that, then the w30 is over.  so i am sticking to my guns.  also, missing cream and sugar in my coffee - usually such a comfort when i travel.    i hit the wall too, last week, with cooking.  got some take out salmon -already cooked - at a local deli which was nice.  then cooked up some potatoes/brussel sprouts/meat.  I have the well fed cook book which I dug out and made some amazing chicken that my family (not doing W30) really liked.  So, plan to make a few more of those dishes when I get home.   i highly recommend her approach to prepping, and her ideas are easy, flexible and very tasty.  

i think the sugar dragon is at rest but I do miss the emotional comfort of some foods (especially when stressed).  I guess i'm just becoming more aware of my eating patterns. and, eating really never makes you feel better emotionally anyway.  it just distracts from the issue for a while then you still have the issue PLUS the guilt about having eaten junk.  

So sorry life's been stressful and well done for not blowing it while under severe pressure, awesome lady! 

Sounds like were all struggling a bit with cooking this week. Just listened to a Fat Summit talk by Rick Warren (of the Daniel Plan) on the power of community. So true! Made me think of you guys! 

So.......how about we all share our favourite, easy recipe so we can ring the changes for the last two weeks ( cos as of 1hr in the uk at least were cruising to the finish line). Anybody in? I really need to sleep again but will post mine tomorrow. 

On 10/10/2016 at 7:15 PM, Raven said:

Is there anyone out there planning a Whole30 for the month of November?

I realize this isn't the best time for some people, as there are family dinners and treats galore, but this year I won't be doing anything extravagant for the holidays.  So I'm thinking it would be a good time to do another reset, and I'd would love some support!

Hello, I am new on the forum but I started my 1st whole30 on November 1st.

@Anetters welcome to this group. We all started on or near Nov. 1, some for the first and others repeating a Whole 30.

@britgirl I hope you are feeling better. I am at the drippy nose phase, but slept well. I will go to our weekly Farmer's market this morning and otherwise lie low!

@shannon, thank you for that link. I almost always cook double, but usually for the main course. I need to learn to do the same for veggies.

NSV I am finally sleeping longer and deeper. This is HUGE fir me. The rest of my life seems to fall into place when I get enough sleep.

Snacking has been an old (bad) habit of mine, too.  I upped my meat/protein consumption, increased the volume of vegetables at all three meals, and have at least a small portion of carbs (fruit, potato, squash, beets, carrots, etc.) with all three meals. I caught myself several times this week grabbing a handful of nuts when I was NOT hungry. Oops! One time I walked away, and twice I ate a handful, but at least I am now aware of eating when I am not hungry. Awareness is the first step towards change.

One strategy I have used to help me with meal planning and cooking is to create some lists. For instance, I have a list of vegetables that incudes cookbook names and page numbers. Another list is complete meals I can make in 30 minutes or less. My DH is willing to help but a little intimidated by my Whole 30 requirements. I have enlisted him as my sous chef for cutting and chopping. He has also made a few recipes from scratch. I get out all the ingredients and the recioe and then go to my yoga class or whatever. I need to do this more often. He feels helpful, and I am off the hook for doing all the cooking!

We are now half way. Hopefully all of us are experiencing some positives by now and anticipating more to come.

thanks Natalie for great comments and feedback.  really good points and was so grateful for your thoughts. 

welcome Anetters.  you made it through first 1/2 alone - impressive.  more fun to go forward together.  we welcome you. 

i hear you about the snacking JMB.  Not that the sugar dragon is subdued I am really noticing more of eating out of habit/comfort (versus craving or hunger).  Good two weeks to really evaluate those patterns. 

i ended up eating beef jerky (compliant) for breakfast.  And it wasn't that bad ;-)

you guys are all on day 15 - congrats!  I am day 13 and grateful to have made it this far.  

For recipes, this is my favorite and it's from Well Fed cook book.   nice change of pace to add some fat to any dish (e.g. sprinkle over cooked veggies

Mod edit to remove copywrite protected content.

Someone mentioned putting a whole chicken into the crockpot and cooking it for four hours. I can't find the post, but I want to try that. Do you add any onions, celery or carrots? broth or water? salt and peppe.? I bought a nice organic chicken at the Farmers' Market this morning, and I want to try that. I usually roast it according to Whole 30 guidelines, but I'd like to try the crockpot version for a change.

I'll look up some of my easy Whole 30-compliant recipes, and post a fewg. My favorites all come from either the original Whole 30 book or from Sarah Ballantyne's cookbook, Healthy Kitchen. Lunch today is this one:

Mod edit to remove copywrite protected content

• Moderators

Hey guys!

Please do not post copywrite protected content on this website.  You're welcome to link to the book on amazon with a suggestion of your fave recipes, link to free recipes online or post your own recipes.

Thanks for your understanding.  I've edited the posts that contain copywrite protected content.

29 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Hey guys!

Please do not post copywrite protected content on this website.  You're welcome to link to the book on amazon with a suggestion of your fave recipes, link to free recipes online or post your own recipes.

Thanks for your understanding.  I've edited the posts that contain copywrite protected content.

Sorry! I thought if I gave book title, author, and page reference, it would cover any copyright issues. I figured it was like footnotes in a term paper! I was definitely not passing it off as my own recipe. My bad!

3 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Hey guys!

thanks for fixing that - sorry, didn't realize it was wrong but makes sense.  I tried to include the link but wasn't able to.    anyway, lesson learned.  

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Jmb369 said:

Someone mentioned putting a whole chicken into the crockpot and cooking it for four hours. I can't find the post, but I want to try that. Do you add any onions, celery or carrots? broth or water? salt and peppe.? I bought a nice organic chicken at the Farmers' Market this morning, and I want to try that. I usually roast it according to Whole 30 guidelines, but I'd like to try the crockpot version for a change.

I don't know what recipe was referenced before, but this is a good one:  http://nomnompaleo.com/post/4807547385/slow-cooker-roast-chicken-and-gravy   (Be sure you sub more broth or other liquid instead of the wine it calls for).

Archived