Why is it OK to eat fruits if sugar is not allowed?

ContikiCarrie

Help!  I've searched the forum with no luck (and can't seem to find the answer in 'It Starts With Food').  I'm prepping for a visit from the in-laws and am currently on Day 23.  I know they will ask me why, if sugar is not compliant on the W30 plan, we can eat fruits.  WE all know that there is a big difference between fruit and processed sugar/sugar as an additive, but they come from an "all carbs are bad" point of view.   Thanks for your help!

Fruits have fiber and digestive enzymes, too.  I need both of those elements.  A standard Whole 30 won't throw you into ketosis so real food carbs are part of the protocol. 

Melissa eats fruit, like for real. But you won't find true blue Whole 30'rs eating them standing alone inbetween meals or for snacks. When eaten in conjunction with a meal, there's no blood sugar uptick blowback.  I eat fruits as part of the actual meal.. thrown into or over proteins, vegetables, fats. No upticks in blood sugar.

• 4 weeks later...

You can also say that added sugar is not allowed. If you're putting sugar in your coffee, you're adding sugar, so that's a no-no. Sugar in an ingredients list, it's added sugar. Yes, they could very pedantically argue that if you just eat sugar straight out of the bowl, it's not added to anything else, but that's really just ridiculous. 

You can also ask them, taking their "all carbs are bad" viewpoint, if they eat vegetables. For example: green leaf lettuce is a carb. It's got roughly twice as many carbs as protein. Carrots have 10 times as many carbs as protein. 

I got into it with a colleague when he said that he was no longer eating carbs as he tucked into a bowl of vegetable and chicken stew. Oh man, did he get angry at me when I told him that there were so many carbs in that bowl (he was talking to me like I was really stupid, mansplaining if you will, so I was not about to let that slide). Finally he says "I mean I'm not eating waffles and bread and rice and potatoes!". So I looked at him and said "Oh, you meant you're not eating starches. That clears it up." 

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 2:30 PM, laura_juggles said:

You can also say that added sugar is not allowed. If you're putting sugar in your coffee, you're adding sugar, so that's a no-no. Sugar in an ingredients list, it's added sugar. Yes, they could very pedantically argue that if you just eat sugar straight out of the bowl, it's not added to anything else, but that's really just ridiculous. 

You can also ask them, taking their "all carbs are bad" viewpoint, if they eat vegetables. For example: green leaf lettuce is a carb. It's got roughly twice as many carbs as protein. Carrots have 10 times as many carbs as protein. 

I got into it with a colleague when he said that he was no longer eating carbs as he tucked into a bowl of vegetable and chicken stew. Oh man, did he get angry at me when I told him that there were so many carbs in that bowl (he was talking to me like I was really stupid, mansplaining if you will, so I was not about to let that slide). Finally he says "I mean I'm not eating waffles and bread and rice and potatoes!". So I looked at him and said "Oh, you meant you're not eating starches. That clears it up." 

I love this! :lol:

Archived