Why is coffee OK and chocolate not?

Medowsweet

So, I understand if you are used to coffee daily with cream and sugar and you switch to black and it's still good that is fine.

But if you are used to 80% dark chocolate and you switch to 100% and it's still good that is not fine.

Why?

What is the difference?

The two have a simmilar taste (deep, rich, bitter, intense) 

Both come in both with and without milk and sugar 

Both seem to be items that neighter help nor harm your health particularly (studies vary)

Both can be "addictive" or "ritualistic"

So what is the difference?

I meant more like "as a fat"

As in a "fat" because my avacado are all rock hard, I am out of olive oil (the bottle actually fell on the ground and shattered!), my "mayo" is water thin (for some reason!?)

My options (without going shopping) are coconut oil (would not go with my chicken and broccoli)

"Gee" made with cheap non grass fed grain fed butter

Nuts or nut butter (meh, it's what i've been eating as a fat for a week because I despretly need to go shopping but have been crazy busy)

Canola oil (not officially kosher for at home use)

Seseme oil

Then I thought, "Mmm! Baker's chocolate! That's a fat, and it's good!  I tend to bite it when I make chilli becuse it's chocolate!"

It tastes like "chocolate without the sugar" exactly the same way coffee tastes like "coffee without the sugar" but I was under the impression coffee was okay in that way and cocoa (just to bite between bites of chicken) is not.

• Administrators

Ermmm....no. I mean....sure, you can do what you like because you're an adult. But cocoa is only approved for use as a savoury seasoning. You'd have to eat an awful lot of it to get a proper fat serving.  Like....a LOT. You'd need to eat almost a cup of the chocolate. So don't do that.

Drizzle sesame oil (would be delicious with your chicken & brocoli) or use the ghee. It's just one meal. Leave the chocolate alone. ;)

Edited to add: I just reviewed the nutritional profile of cacao/100 cocoa....and it's more carb than fat. So there's that too.

I didn't really think cocoa had carbs in it at all!  (I mean, a few. Like 4 or somthing.  But I definitely remember from my weight watchers days it was high in fat low in carbs (as in almost all the calories came from fat)

No way I could eat a cup of 100% cocoa/cocoabutter chocolate.  I don't think I could even eat a cup of sweet milk chocolate without getting sick!!!

• Administrators
12 hours ago, Medowsweet said:

I didn't really think cocoa had carbs in it at all!  (I mean, a few. Like 4 or somthing.  But I definitely remember from my weight watchers days it was high in fat low in carbs (as in almost all the calories came from fat)

Remember thought that back in the day, WW used to prioritize whole wheat bread over olive oil, pasta over avocado etc. So ya, they probably created the points/check-off boxes for that item as a fat because fat-bad-heart-disease-avoid-at-all-costs!!! :D

Also, I'm sad because I could totally eat a cup of chocolate and all I'd think at the end is "is there more?". ;)

You can soften an avocado in a number of ways:

In the Microwave

Poke the entire avocado with a fork.

Wrap the avocado in a paper towel, and transfer it to the microwave. The paper towel will retain the fruit’s moisture.

Set your microwave to medium high, and cook the avocado for 30 seconds.

Remove the avocado and the paper towel, and gently press on the fruit, checking for firmness. If the avocado has not softened, place it back in the microwave and cook for another 30 seconds.

In a Paper Bag

Place a dry avocado in a brown paper bag. If you don’t have a paper bag on hand, wrap the avocado in newspaper.

Put the bag on the kitchen counter. The avocado should be soft in three or four days.

Add a banana, tomato or apple to the paper bag to hasten the softening process.

With Flour

Open a bag of flour.

Bury the avocado in the flour.

Check the avocado daily, until it feels ripe.

On a Windowsill

Place the avocado on a windowsill.

Press on the fruit on day two; it should now be soft.

Keep the avocado on the windowsill an extra day if it still feels firm.

Tips

• Do not overcook avocados, as this will cause a loss of flavor.

• Only place ripe avocados in the refrigerator.

• As avocados ripen, their skins become darker.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it is always important, when this comes up, to refer back to the great cocoa debate:

http://whole30.com/2013/12/great-cocoa-debate/

I am on Dallas' side of the debate, and then some, as I also include unsweetened baking chocolate as a perfectly reasonable thing to use in savory dishes and as a snack.

ThyPeace, yes I know.  Their debate is cocoa, not unsweetened chocolate.

Hey there, SugarCubeOD --

I recognize that the concept of "snack" and "chocolate" (even unsweetened) and "Whole30" does not compute.  :)

ThyPeace, as for what I did, well, it's documented in my Whole30 and post-Whole30 logs.  Probably not worth reviewing in detail here.  It did have some wonderful scale and non-scale victories, though!

• Moderators

Ya, there's no gray area surrounding chocolate and Whole30.  Used to make a savory dish is the only way it's acceptable.

What you did is your decision and doesn't need to be reviewed here, I agree, but a thread with this type of title is going to attract all sorts of new people and there can be no confusion that it's not part of the program :)

Congrats on your victories!

Archived