Typical Day's worth of food?

juni

I think a lot of folks, myself included, have struggled a little with eating enough on Whole 30. I'd like to see what your typical day of food looks like so I might be able to gauge if I'm underfeeding.

Thanks!

I'd love to know if I'm doing this right too. I'm on day 5.

Yesterday I had: Breakfast 1 cup leftover shredded pork tenderloin and a small sweet potato with coconut oil

Lunch: 3 scrambled eggs topped with 1/3 cup salsa and 1/3 cup guacamole

Snack: Granny Smith apple

Dinner: 1 cup pork, pepper, onion & mushroom hash and kale sauteed with bacon and garlic

I was still hungry after dinner so I had another small sweet potato with coconut oil.

Breakfast:

3 eggs

3 Whole30 compliant breakfast sausage patties

.5 sweet potato/1 banana/.5c pineapple, etc

Lunch:

BIG baby spinach salad with .5 avo, onions, peppers, carrots, strawberries, radishes, 1 HB egg, cubed chicken breast,

EVOO and red wine vinegar for dressing

Dinner:

1 big ribeye steak

1 sweet potato

sauteed asparagus ~.5 bunch

• Moderators

Breakfast - 4 eggs baked with onions, kale, mushrooms, and tomatoes and topped with a whole avocado mashed with lime juice.

Lunch - Arugula salad with grilled salmon (probably about 1/2 pound filet).

Supper - T-bone steak (just over 1/2 pound of meat) with roasted cauliflower and broccoli (two plates of veggies).

6-7 glasses of water and 4-5 cups of herbal tea.

I am eating big meals and avoiding snacks unless I am too hungry to sleep. For reference, I think I weigh about 190 pounds, but haven't been on a scale this year and cannot be sure.

Breakfast - Large serving of chicken apple hash. Ingredients - chicken, apples, olive oil, cinnamon

or 2 meat and spinach muffins

Lunch - Large mixed green salad with olive oil, a smidgen of walnuts and raisins, 1/2 small avocado

grass fed roast cooked in crock pot. MMMMMMMMM!

Dinner - 3 scrambled eggs, large bunch of kale made into kale chips, medium sweet potato "fries"

Your question and the responses are very helpful. Thanks!

breakfast: egg strata - 3 eggs with a shredded sweet potato bottom (probably about .3 c), kale, and caramelized onions, topped with .5 avocado smashed with lime (Love this too, Tom!).

pre-workout "meal": orange (I know this is far from a meal - but it was yoga and my stomach does best with a piece of fruit before practice)

lunch: tuna salad: a can of tuna mixed with 1/4 cup homemade mayo, mixed with 2 shredded carrots, diced celery a bit of parsley and a dash of balsamic

snack: small apple with 1T of almond butter

dinner: grilled salmon (around 5 oz) roasted brussel sprouts, about 1/3 cup of roasted butternut squash, and a small mixed green salad with homemade dressing.

Hey Juni (and Jillian) -

Here's what I eat on a "good eating" day:

For context, I tend to under eat. Not out of any disordered eating pattern, but out of procrastination. I tell myself I'll eat something as soon as I finish... and with a business, , a husband, 2 kids, a man-sized dog and a house - well, you see what I mean.

Breakfast: 3 or 4 eggs, 5 or 6 pieces of bacon (pork belly), apple or a handful of berries, black coffee

Lunch: Hamburger patty (about 1/4 lb, maybe 1/3), raw veggies (half a plate full), Guacamole

Snack: Piece of fruit or berries with coconut cream

Dinner: Standard meal fare - protein, veggies, starch

Snack: Apple slices or peppers with guac and salsa

Again, I'm about 5'0 and (just for context, because scales don't tell you anything important) 122 lbs.

It soooo matters. I think my husband eats about my bodyweight in food each week. But then again, he's 6'3 and 190 lbs.

Thankfully, Juni is a little closer to my size ;0)

PS: My paleo-rock-star 4 year old has less than 18 inches to go to catch up with her poor mom. Sometimes being snack-sized is not so fun...

I sometimes under eat too, for the same reasons you mention, Robin. Sometimes it's hard to get all that food in...but that is something I love about eating this way—I can eat all that food if I want to!

• 1 month later...

Great reading! I'm on day 4 and, looking at everyone's eating I don't think I'm eating enough. I thought I was doing ok...

Breakfast 2 eggs, mushrooms, spinach

Lunch a protein and salad

Snack tuna and a carrot or apple

Dinner protein, half sweet potato, broccoli, zucchini etc and some berries.

I've been really low on energy and haven't been able to do my normal 5-10k runs

Jess -

If you're looking to fuel for 5-10K runs, you need more carbohydrate than you're currently taking in. You also need to be eating pre and post workout - food that's especially dedicated to fueling your exercise and then recovering from it. Try throwing some sweet potato hashbrowns in with your breakfast or some cooked cold squash in your salad.

Also, make sure you're getting about a snack-sized serving of protein with some fat before you run and some carbs and lean protein immediately after.

Hope that helps!

This is a really helpful thread as I just started today. I have been eating fairly clean for a month or so now and when I first cut gluten and dairy from my diet I found that I was WAY under eating (dizzy spells, lightheaded, and shaky by the end of the day) even though I wasn't hungry.

I really want to avoid feeling like that, so I try to listen better to my bodies cues.

Day 1 for me consisted of:

1st Meal- Aprox. 2 leftover scrambled duck eggs (I don't tolerate chicken eggs), string beans, carrots, and farmers market raspberries.

snack- pistachios ( I was still hungry shortly after 1st meal)

2nd Meal- Leftover shredded beef (with taco seasonings), with a tsp of coconut oil mixed in, some raw kohlrabi, carrots, cauliflower and I think some other veggies.

snack- I was still hungry (or so I thought) so I had some homemade "granola" (from elana'spantry.com) with some canned coconut milk. I was really full after that.

3rd Meal- Turkey straight from the crock-pot with some summer squash, string beans, and turnips sauteed in coconut oil (no one liked the turnips, but hubby kept stealing my squash).

I am happy to report that I am comfortably full and I managed to pass on the apples that I had sauteed in coconut oil and sprinkled with cinnamon for my 6yo daughter (though I did have my hubby put them away while I was de-boning the turkey so I wasn't tempted).

Here's my day today:

Breakfast: canned salmon, peppers, onions fritata. i used 6 eggs for the whole thing and ate about 1/4 of it. topped with salsa

lunch: 1.5 cup of: Chicken, peas/carrots/onion, coconut milk + curry/tumeric/cinnamon/salt seasoning in a crock pot... + a handfull of cherries

Dinner: 2 large Kabob's on the grill with peppers, steak, onion, maybe some grilled sweet potato, but im trying to limit my carbs.

Hmmm. I don't think my husband is eating enough! His energy is really low-we are on day 9 today and he's been feeling pretty sluggish for the last three days. He's a roofer, so his job is pretty strenuous. I need to sneak some more protein and fat into his meals...and mine too! Though, I think I am eating more than him. :-)

His energy is really low-we are on day 9 today and he's been feeling pretty sluggish for the last three days. He's a roofer, so his job is pretty strenuous.

With the heat roofers are exposed too he probably needs more salt, and quite possibly more W30 carbs to keep from becoming dehydrated. And of course, lots and lots of water, more than pre W30.

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I thought I had eaten way too much for dinner.

I had one large pork chop, small salad (no dressing), green beans from the garden with salt, and a large handful of cherries.

I felt full!! Almost too full!

I guess eating this way is more dense? It seems to me that I am getting more.

I was thinking of looking more at my portion sizes, and then again I go to bed not hungry nor full.

How much should we be looking at portion sizes? Or should I just pay attention about how I feel after and during the meals?

I am pretty excited to not count calories! (at least that worry is off my mind!)

Yogagirl -

You've got it so right - just pay attention to your body. If you felt uncomfortable after dinner, trying pulling it back a little next time. Going to bed satisfied is what you want (not hungry, not full, like you said), so it sounds like you're on the right track to me!

Archived