Starting Jan. 16th!

ChristinR

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I too had my first dream about food. Ate a whole pan of bar cookies. Was mad I had to start over at day one again. Glad it was just a dream. doing better today made the chicken hash in the whole3o book quite yummy. Going to make chicken curry with coconut milk and on the side some cauliflower rice. looking forward to a change in food so I don't get bored.

I dreamed about sneaking whiskey shots...again, not something I ever do.  But alcohol is the hardest part of every weekend. Going to a girls poker night tonight, with my LaCroix.While everyone else drinks wine and strawberry margaritas. :-(

My mayo came out perfect when I got my immersion blender.  So excited. Has anybody tried making a double batch at once? My family eats these yummy mayo based sauces like crazy! I would like to double it. It will definitely get used before the expiration date on my eggs.

55 minutes ago, Mountain Girl said:

Has anybody tried making a double batch at once? My family eats these yummy mayo based sauces like crazy! I would like to double it. It will definitely get used before the expiration date on my eggs.

I haven't tried a double batch, but it *seems* like there's some magic happening between the size of the immersion blender and the size of the jar, so I'd be a little concerned about that relationship being "off" in a bigger container ... but, heck, just make 2 containers at the same time!  Still only have to wash the stick once.

Hey, folks!  Mind if I jump in?  I began my Whole 30 on January 16, so I'm now on day 13.  So far so good, really!  I am usually a pretty clean eater, except that I kind of went on a bender from October (sigh...Halloween candy), through November (Thanksgiving...sigh), and Christmas (DO NOT even go there!!!!  HORRIBLE EATING!), and all of that indulging and binging has left me tired, lethargic, and with quite a few extra pounds that I certainly don't need.  I'm a 38 year-old mother of two young kids...my daughter is 3.5 years old, and will be 4 in March, and my son is about to turn 2.5 years old next month.  So, I need all of the energy I can get, and I choose to accomplish this primarily by making good food choices.

One thing I've already learned, is that I don't miss dairy at all.  I mean, don't get me wrong, this lady loves (LOVES) her cheese, and I've always ate far too much of it.  I'm enjoying playing with different plant-based milks instead for cooking, and find that they make great substitutes for cow's milk.  I tried my hand at making homemade ghee, which I'm pretty sure I screwed up, but yeah.  LOL!  I ate quite a few lentils as well before my Whole 30, and far too many grains, and since I've been doing my Whole 30, I really don't miss those, either.  Hmmmm, it's interesting!

So, I feel really good, and I think I've reached the stage where my energy levels are really soaring, and I feel great!  I'm sure I haven't lost any weight, but I don't feel bloated, and I feel like my gut health is actually improving.  Dare I say that things are going well (ahem), in the restroom!  Bahaha!

I've always been a meal planner (because I'm a cheapskate), and I have two main gripes about the Whole 30 thus far...I haven't found a way to go about this CHEAPLY, and the ginormous amount of food prep makes me feel as though I'm doing nothing but cooking.  There are days when I spend HOURS in the kitchen...chopping, blending, etc.  It's getting a little tedious, quite frankly.  However, I guess it's all part of the deal, and one has to do the work, to get any sort of payoff, like anything else in life.  I really love to cook, and I'm very comfortable cooking, but as a full-time teacher, and full-time mom of a preschooler and a toddler, laundry must be done!  Books must be read.  Baths have to be administered.  Cooking is definitely eating into the time I need to be spending with the kids.  I'd involve them in some of the food prep, but my children are a tad young to be wielding knives and operating food processors.  :P

Anyway, so far so good!  After my Whole 30 is done, I plan on going straight Paleo.  I love that it focuses on eating REAL FOOD, and that it still eliminates inflammation-inducing food groups, such as lentils, and grains.

Best of luck to the rest of you!  We can do this!

3 hours ago, wookie130 said:

I've always been a meal planner (because I'm a cheapskate), and I have two main gripes about the Whole 30 thus far...I haven't found a way to go about this CHEAPLY, and the ginormous amount of food prep makes me feel as though I'm doing nothing but cooking.  There are days when I spend HOURS in the kitchen...chopping, blending, etc.  It's getting a little tedious, quite frankly. 

Check my various theme W30s linked in my signature below --- I'm both simple AND cheap! :P

5 hours ago, kpenrod1 said:

@ChristinR here is a recipe for some really yummy chicken fingers! http://www.jaysbakingmecrazy.com/2016/01/21/paleo-whole30-chicken-tenders/

I am planning to make them again this week since I accidently left them out over night and had to throw them away when I woke up the next morning. I was so sad! 

Awesome, thank you! Those look really good, I'm drooling already :D

@kirkor Good to know. I doubt I'll drink it everyday, but it should work as the healthy fat for my M1, instead of my usual half an avocado. 

@wookie130 Oh let's not even talk about Oct-Dec! I'm right there with you, and also my motivation for starting this Whole30 journey. 

Another day down! Hope everyone is doing well.

i had the munchies all afternoon...not sure why. Maybe I just didn't have enough protein at lunch. I snacked on left over cold chicken, guacamole and then had almonds, blackberries, banana and coconut flakes.  I made that my 3rd meal.

meal 1: egg white omelette with crab and asparagus. Avocado on the side. Coffee with coconut milk.

meal 2: leftover ground turkey, kale and leek soup, homemade guacamole and baby carrots

got in my walk on the beach with the dog

and...! I found sugar free bacon, ground buffalo, and hormone free, antibiotic free meats..and entire case filled at Whole Foods. I'm going to make the chili tomorrow with ground buffalo and sweet potato...can't wait.

4 hours ago, Cher1 said:

Another day down! Hope everyone is doing well.

i had the munchies all afternoon...not sure why. 

Me too! I had some seaweed strips and they kind of met the need for something crunchy and savoury. Kind of... And mad cravings for sugar - am avoiding looking at any recipes or pictures of cakes or sweet things. Crickey, even typing it made my mouth water! Am just going to white-knuckle my way through this period and stick to the template, and I know it will pass.

Anyone else being hit by cravings?

5 hours ago, Sunflour said:

Me too! I had some seaweed strips and they kind of met the need for something crunchy and savoury. Kind of... And mad cravings for sugar - am avoiding looking at any recipes or pictures of cakes or sweet things. Crickey, even typing it made my mouth water! Am just going to white-knuckle my way through this period and stick to the template, and I know it will pass.

Anyone else being hit by cravings?

Yes definitely had a few cravings, have had to restrict access to the nut butter! Another dream about having a piece of cake too.

Also feeling a lot of fatigue, think I need to eat more but also think it is not all diet related. 

I've noticed I wake up a lot earlier now - for about the past week. I've always been a heavy sleeper and can easily do 9-10hrs a night, so I think this is a good thing! 

Hope everyone is doing ok - we're at the half way point woohoo!

Ditto on the cravings!  Weekends definitely seem to be more difficult, I guess because of all the potential access to food and semi-lax schedule?  So far, so good though.  Tried the distraction technique when the urge for chips/cookies/ALL THE NON-COMPLIANT food hit.  

I made a meatloaf last week and was having some leftovers for supper last night with some sauteed squash and zucchini.  I'd prepped my son some mac and cheese and mixed in a slice of meatloaf with his.  He devoured his portions, then hopped up on my lap (he's 2) and started eating my meatloaf!  Here's the recipe I used, but I substituted pecan flour for the almond flour/meal simply because I had some in the freezer and have been looking for a recipe to use it on!  http://www.stayfitmom.com/easy-paleo-homestyle-meatloaf/.  I snuck some veggies in it too...although instead of chopping them, next time I'll probably shred them.  

Also, I have a non-scale victory to report!!!!!!  I can button my pre-pregnancy jeans again (no, they don't look cute again yet, but they can be buttoned and zippered which is a VAST improvement from pre-Whole30).  I don't think it is because of losing a ton of weight, but at least the bloated feeling I've had since returning back to work is gone and I'm not just making it up.  :o)    

Am loving hearing everyone's stories.  Definitely helps make the days pass a little faster!  Great job everyone, we're doing it!!!!!  

Wow! Halfway there! A little surprised I've made it this far lol. I've actually been making recipes this past week (as opposed to just eating chicken breast and veggies for every single meal lol). Last week I made a pot of a whole30 compliant copycat recipe of Zuppa Tuscano and also a large pot of chili. This week I'm going to do the same but try to add in some more veggies.

Yesterday I finally felt like doing something, so I started sorting/organizing my craft room and apparently got over zealous and ended up pinching something in my back. Yay! Lol :P

56 minutes ago, JaneD said:

Yesterday I finally felt like doing something, so I started sorting/organizing my craft room and apparently got over zealous and ended up pinching something in my back

@JaneD oh no! Start stretching immediately..look for palates stretches for back pain. I am just coming off 16 weeks of intense sciatic pain. Definitely gently stretch it out if you can.

feel better.

im so glad to see I'm never t the only one dealing with an escaped sugar monster!

So we go to my parents' house every Sunday for a nice family dinner which ALWAYS includes lot's of bread and dessert.  The hot loaf of bread smelled soooooooo good as I passed it up last night.  I haven't really even wanted any bread until then, but I didn't touch it.  But THEN Mom breaks out the homemade chocolate chip cookies and pops them into the old microwave for 30 seconds to make the chips all nice and melty.  I didn't touch them but boy was that a test of willpower!  

And I'm really proud of myself for not caving.  I always cave under peer pressure.  Especially when there are fresh cookies involved...  

50 minutes ago, pammelasue said:

Sound like Maw's house.  Cornbread, panbread, bread bread and other people's bread. Stale bread I was supposed to give to the ducks but ate it myself because it reminded me of croutons.

I'm glad you pulled yourself from the bread and cookie brink. Falling into much bread was my life but climbing out of it is transcendent.  

Yeah we made it to the half way mark! So happy about that. I am worried about next Sunday(superbowl) I always have the party at my house. But I told everyone that there would be meat and lots of vegetables. Oh and definitely guacamole( I will miss the chips though). Good job everyone and a self -high five to me!

Day 17 for me here. Had food boredom, made a big crockpot coconut veggie stew and some delicious pesto chicken salad on portobello bun (used the Pesto recipe from Whole30 book, + mayo, shredded chicken breast, celery, apple, & salt/pepper). Switching things up really helps!!

Enjoying reading all your posts! Stick it out, the cravings and other uncomfortable symptoms will pass. Have a great week, everyone.  : )

Ok. So I read the posts on cocoa powder and decided my use was definitely spice.

i made the buffalo sweet potato chili tonight but I changed it up mole~ style, I added unsweetened cocoa and cinnamon ...

and OMG. DelicioUs.

meal 1: egg white fratatta with crab and guacamole, spinach with mushrooms, coffee with coconut oil and a small glass of no sodium vegetable juice

meal 2: procuttio wrapped dates, coconut flakes, blackberries, pecans

meal 3: chili, and guacamole with carrots and jicama

and I felt really good when I got up today, added another mike to my daily walk.

Hey all!  Looks like everyone is still going strong with some cravings and testing of will power.

Meal prep went great for me on Sunday.  I had already cooked the meats on friday or saturday and just had to cook veggies.  One of my favorites, was mashed cauliflower with some fat and cooking juices from my slow cooked pork shoulder.  Amazing.  I was excited to find compliant green and red Thai curry at Sprouts the other day.  It is frustrating finding things you would think would be compliant have sugar or flour in them.  Even my garlic salt has flour!

Our family spent some time at a friends house the other night.  We usually end up stumbling home (across the street) after a few bottles of wine or beer.  I thought it would be hard to not eat junk food or drink alcohol.  I was surprised that I had no desire to venture away from Whole30 and equally surprised my friends thought I was consumed with temptation.  I will make sure to bring some compliant food on Sunday for the game. 

After 15 days, I have gotten a better understanding of my relationship with food and the need for me to plan.  If I don't plan, I don't eat.  When I do eat, it is anything within reach.   I'm excited to see what the next 15 days have to offer us.

Well we made it through the halfway mark, so that's pretty exciting!

I am having a rough two days, not W30 related, but monthly cycle related. I won't post about it here, as I already posted over in the "Ladies Only" thread. I left work early yesterday and called out today, so that is not fun. I hate calling out of work, even if it's for a legit reason! My appetite has been low, mainly due to nausea, but I'm trying to eat mini meals when I can. 

We had the shepherds pie from the w30 book last night, and it was very good. I'm not normally a sweet potato fan (unless it's the white one which are hard to find), but the savory seasonings meshed well with them in this recipe. I also read that starchy veggies are supposed to help with all this I've got going on, so seemed like a good meal to have.

Hopefully I will be back to work and normal eating tomorrow. If you want to read my other post the link is here: 

@ChristinR sorry to hear it! I know my hormones take a battering sometimes while they settle down to find a new normal. Stay strong!

My cravings subsided yesterday thank goodness. I stocked up on teas so I have those to sip on if a pang strikes.

Yesterday breakfast: green  chicken drumsticks  (nom nom paleo), tomato salad. Lunch: chicken wings, mashed potato, pear w cashew nut butter (comfort food right there!). Dinner: pork belly (nom nom pale again and uh-mazingly good!), roast potato cubes, kale chips. Watermelon.

Loving the resurgence in posts, and looking forward to more updates from everyone :)

Archived