Hey guys! First post on here, but I've been lurking since I started my Whole30.

Today is day 9. I haven't been tempted by non-compliant foods, I've been dutifully cooking ahead of time so I have food to eat at work, I've been blowing through coconut oil, my acne's disappearing, my figure's probably benefiting.

But I'm not hungry.

On days 1 and 2, I had a decent amount to eat, and really enjoyed what I was eating. On day 3, I had a hard time eating dinner, even though it tasted fine. On day 4 I struggled to eat breakfast and lunch, but scarfed down sweet potato hash browns and eggs for dinner. From day 5 to today, I've barely wanted to eat, and it feels like I barely CAN eat. For instance, I made it through breakfast fine today (meatballs with sauce and roasted delicata squash), and started lunch eagerly (roasted chicken drumstick and thigh and roasted veggies), but halfway through hit a wall and it wound up taking me about an hour total to get through most of it. It worries me because I know I'm not getting enough to eat. (Not tracking calories, since it's against the Whole30 way, but I've got a good feeling.) I don't want to keep going through this, where I know in my head that I have to eat, but my body doesn't want to and feels almost sick halfway through meals.

I did feel that the sweet potato hash browns bumped up my appetite and allowed me to eat a good amount of food in one sitting (also they were delicious). The same occurred with a batch of sweet potato fries I made and had with burgers. Should I just...eat sweet potatoes constantly? That would be tasty, but I feel like there's more to this issue...

I went through something very similar in my first week. My first bites of each meal were fine, but it did not take me long until I waved a white flag and surrendered. I had lots of leftovers from that first week!

Around 11-12th day, I started to notice that I was actually hungry in the morning. This was a great sign! I then found that I was hungry with each meal, and satisfied after each meal was done. I have my hungry days and my not so hungry days still, and on day 32.

I would listen to your body. Just my opinion, but that was one of the lessons I wanted to learn. After years of calorie counting, I finally wanted to be able to recognize the signs of being hungry, and then knowing when I had enough.

It's pretty common to feel this a week to 10 days in. I think it's a shift in hunger hormones, but I'm not at all sciency. I do know, though, that if you reduce your meal size to fit your appetite (so you're not wasting food) and do your best to get in 3 a day, that this will probably pass in another 3-5 days. If not, then we can look at other aspects and see whats up.

I went through the same thing. My ability to tell thirst from hunger came back first. Then I got hungry and watch out food. My mom and I did this together. We used to share a chicken breast or steak. Usually ended up giving some to the hubs or kids. Not anymore! Don't touch my protein. It took about 2 weeks for me to be hungry at meal times and for my urge to snack to dwindle.

I'm so glad I found this thread - I was wondering if I was a freak of nature! I have been experiencing this the last two days and it was starting to worry me! I'm not hungry and all and am basically eating just enough to get my 3 meals in. I feel a little bit of hunger once in awhile but I don't feel ravenous or hangry. Once I finally do decide to eat, I'll take a few bites of my food and then just not want anymore.

I guess it's my body just learning it doesn't need to constantly eat and just eating enough to be satisfied? I've always been a "live to eat" person so this "eat to live" thing is completely new to me. I also thought maybe I was just getting bored of eating basically the same thing all the time (meat and veggies, meat and veggies, meat and veggies). It's nice knowing my habits of needing to snack in the afternoons and nights are gone but it has felt weird not even wanting to eat my regular meals.

I would listen to your body. Just my opinion, but that was one of the lessons I wanted to learn. After years of calorie counting, I finally wanted to be able to recognize the signs of being hungry, and then knowing when I had enough.

I really hope this is one of those things I'll be able to continue post-whole30. Being able to know how much is enough without having to measure, count, etc. I sucked at weight watchers because I hated tracking and portion control was always hard for me.

• 5 years later...

We are on our 24th day and considering fasting for the next six days because we are so sick of food. It is a combination of not wanting to cook, the effort of eating something you are not craving, and halfway through a meal feeling sick.

I am an avid marathon runner so I really need the calories. Do we just force ourselves to eat? Or listen to our bodies and eat less?
Why are we so sick of food. We no longer have any cravings and are really annoyed when we get hungry.

• Administrators

Ya, this is basically food boredom setting in. Try spicing things up, try a new recipe, eat standing in the kitchen or in bed watching tv. This is actually really common. Just push through because lack of eating begets lack of appetite and becomes a nasty circle.

Here's a good article for you to read through: https://whole30.com/2014/01/dear-melissa-pulling-whole30-stall/

Thank you @ladyshanny! This really helps. We didn't realize we would have such a visceral reaction to simple food boredom.  But we've also had some pretty strong emotional responses to this diet, lol.

I'm going to try the salmon cakes tonight in front of the TV. Six more days to go and definitely not giving up. We've had pretty positive reactions so far.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Maggie Hallgren said:

Thank you @ladyshanny! This really helps. We didn't realize we would have such a visceral reaction to simple food boredom.  But we've also had some pretty strong emotional responses to this diet, lol.

I'm going to try the salmon cakes tonight in front of the TV. Six more days to go and definitely not giving up. We've had pretty positive reactions so far.

Ya, if ever food was joy, especially for people who really love food, it can be a bit of a harder time. You'll get through it though! Sometimes it can also be that you simply can't stand the idea of having to make food. Like why can't you just have a bowl of cereal and call it done. That affects me when I do it because dang if I'm not making every single thing that crosses our lips. On days like that I do scrambled eggs in the microwave over steamed brocoli and topped w/ sauerkraut and avocado. Creamy, warm, comforting, fatty, salty, briney, EASY and almost no cleanup!

Archived