Naked Juice

Michaela Konzal

Hello! I am on day 3 and have a few questions:

Naked Juice- Naked Juice claims "No Sugar Added" and the ingredients are mostly juices with maybe 1 puree. (http://nakedjuice.com/our-products/juice). Having these in the fridge would be great to add to smoothies or as part of a snack but, are they whole30 approved?

Salami and other deli meats- Salami is 10 for $10 at my local grocery store so I bought a few packages, I got home and realized sodium nitrate is a listed ingredient. Again, is this okay to eat?

I guess that's all for now.

Thanks!

Nope, no smoothies. Have you read It Starts With Food? Food that is drunk, such as smoothies, does not register in your body the same way as food that is eaten. Plus, with smoothies, you are consuming too much fruit, and way too much sugar, even if it is natural.

Just started reading "It Starts With Food." Thanks for the input, glad I didn't buy Naked Juice or frozen fruit! I did have a small smoothie as dessert last night, guess I won't be doing that again! Fruit is my weakness, I'm going to have to be a little more conservative with it.

Because it's your weakness, you may want to consider allowing yourself 1 serving a day if that. To me, it's simply nature's sugar and it does me no favors. You can get all the fiber and vitamins in fruit from the large variety of vegetables that you will be eating. Whole 30 is about starving and then taming such dragons. :)

Sulphites are out during a W30 but nitrates aren't. There's a lot of controversy over whether they're carcinogenic or not. there was evidence presented in the 70s but not everyone agrees with it. Good article here shows we actually get more nitrates from veg than meat

http://junkfoodscien...bacon-make.html

another article fully discussing nitrates here

http://www.extension...ion/DJ0974.html

I got the impression that nitrates were out. I'm fairly certain that it has been well-established that nitrates are carcinogenic - so I'd avoid them.

The research suggests that nitrates are carcinogenic _in vitro_

In vivo, it actually metabolizes down to nitric oxide.

So.. according to the articles and something I had sorta already figured out, using celery salt to make bacon is akin to using the "pink" salt. And I say this because the first time I made bacon, it did not maintain it's lovely pink color but the bacon I made with celery salt did maintain the pink color.

I guess it's an individual preference then on whether to choose products with or without nitrates/nitrites.

• 4 years later...
  • Moderators
17 minutes ago, Melissa N said:

The Whole30 allows juice, doesn't it? Naked is 100% juice, so wouldn't this be acceptable in moderation? I wouldn't consider it to be the same as a smoothie.

I responded to this on another thread. Please do not cross post the same questions in different places on the forum. 

Archived