spam posts

kirkor

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Moderators
5 hours ago, Lady49er said:

Agreed! My 7 year old and I read the forums together (we're on Day 25), and I really don't feel like explaining "male enhancement" to her. 

We do our best to get to them as soon as possible, but as there are only a handful of active mods and timezone differences, sometimes it gets a bit ugly... 

Congrats to you and your daughter, that's so awesome!

Here's some ideas.

"The principle is very simple: raise the barrier for entry, and remove the pay-off for doing so. Raising the barrier will keep out the bots, and removing the payoff will stop the humans. Allowing spam onto your site and visible to search engines - for even a few minutes - *is* the payoff - because some small fraction of it will get indexed, which is all it takes. As long as that's happening you're actually attracting them. There are ways to completely prevent that payoff, but apparently people don't. You can queue new member posts for moderation (which is labor-intensive), you can delay guest access to all posts for a day (which isn't). I can think of other ways.
Lots of people install bug zappers, but they're not keeping the meat in the fridge...

My site is very hard to get into and there's no payoff, and I think this is a large part of why we see no spam.

Simply hiding the registration question so people have to follow instructions to go looking for it has been amazingly effective. The fact that the answer requires domain knowledge and is not easily googled also helps. Since we don't get spammers coming through we can vet new registrations manually, as there are only a couple coming through a day. If we had an incursion they probably wouldn't get any further than that. And if they did, there's no payoff, because any spam they posted would be removed before it was visible to the search engines rather than sometime afterwards. To anyone who can read well enough to get into our site, this situation is perfectly clear."

https://www.stopforumspam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8066

• 4 weeks later...

Allowing spam onto a site and visible to search engines - for even a few minutes - *is* the payoff - because some small fraction of it will get indexed, which is all it takes. As long as that's happening it is actually attracting them.

The spam uptick is increasing.  Deleting them doesn't fix it,  they are indexing themselves and multiplying.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, Bellmaestra said:

The Spammers have been really busy... the announcement section is chock full. :-(

Stephanie

Ya, we've been battling... we're trying something new this week and I think it should really result in less to no spammers... if you see any, definitely report them and we do our best to erase as soon as we can.

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Bellmaestra said:

I try to report them, but today's hit was overwhelming! Thanks for all you do to clean up after these meanies!

Stephanie

I think we remove about five times what gets reported so it's a lot but we're working really hard for the members to try and clean this up because it's annoying and it looks bad!  Stay tuned :)

Archived