Always Get Sick When on Whole30...help!

Hi everyone! I am seeking advice about what I may be doing wrong or if my body just isn’t ready for the extremity of Whole30. I started the program for the first time back in 2016. I felt the normal symptoms of carb flu, but mine actually never went away. I attempted to eat as many clean carbs as possible to up my energy. I made it to day 23 and had a very high fever. I went to the doctor and tested positive for strep throat. I chalked it up as a coincidence rather than a result of the Whole30 diet. 

A few months later, I attempted again. This time I made it to day 3 and began to have very extreme symptoms of carb flu and a fever. This time I was diagnosed with the flu. I vowed to never try the program again as I truly felt it was not right for me. 

Going into 2018, I really wanted to give it another go. This time I only made it to day 2 before I could feel flu like symptoms. I currently have a fever of 101.7. This one feels like the flu again. 

Is it possible that Whole30 and my health are correlated? I am a pretty active person. I workout 2-3 times a week at a bootcamp style class and teach dance twice a week. I am thinking that maybe the drastic changes of the diet are sending my body into shock mode. Any advice would be great. Thank you!!

Correlation does not equal causation.  Nothing about the Whole30 in-and-of-itself would cause you to be more susceptible to bugs, but possibly if you're stressing about an upcoming round it might affect your immune system.

What do you typically eat? I agree with other posts that it's probably bad luck/timing, although I wonder also if ones regular diet is a lot of processed foods, would the body literally go into shock without them?

Before you throw in the towel, try to remember if yours was a random case of strep or was it "going around"? If it was "going around" then, you were just one of many in your circle of friends/family who picked it up. Same with the flu. Were you tested for the flu by your doctor? Or just felt so lousy it felt like the flu? Maybe your detox symptoms are just super extreme... I do feel like anytime you have an actual fever, that's seems like an actual bug not detox.

I empathize with you, TBJeffries. I have something similar happen when I go to my gym. Each time I go, it's like clockwork...10 days later I get sick, much like the way you describe. Do think about the timing of when you start. There is horrible flu going around, all over the place, so odds that you've caught it are reasonably high. Flu vaccine wasn't very effective this year, so keep that in mind as well. Good luck. Hope you feel well soon.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, purplepadres said:

I agree with the other responses. Nothing about eating healthy, whole foods is going to make you sick. Unfortunately, you're doing a Whole30 during the cold & flu season. Get lots of rest, drink broth, tea, and lots of water, and decide whether to continue. Get well!

Agreed, there is nothing about the foods that would make you sick. HOWEVER, if the Whole30 is a great departure from how a person normally eats, they can become more susceptible to the bugs and germs floating around because the body is prioritizing this rebalancing and not so much the immune system.

@Tbjeffries93 - can you comment on how Whole30 differs from your regular life? Also worth commenting on your average overall stress level as if it is on the high end with inadequate sleep, the stress of attempting the program could be enough to keep pushing you over the edge.

Archived