4/2/2018 Starting Whole30

deviin22

Hi, I'm Jodi I'm a middle age mother starting my first whole 30 on 4/2.  I am extremely overweight, so losing weight would be great, but I am trying whole 30 as I have had GI problems my entire life (since childhood) and would like to see if whole 30 can improve things.  Also I'm looking to just develop better eating habits and make better decisions for life. 

Problem 1 for me - I am not, nor ever have been, a breakfast eater.  I don't eat eggs.  I made a sweet potato hash with sausage, onions and garlic, and rosemary last night, and literally forced it down this morning with half an avocado.  It tasted good, I just cannot eat in the am so this will be my biggest challenge getting going. 

Looking forward to hearing what other people find challenging,  and how people are feeling. 

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, all! I’m 62, live in South Carolina (upstate, near the Blue Ridge Mountains), and I’m starting my second Whole 30 today.

My first Whole 30 ended just last Tuesday, and I took a few days off to relax and enjoy (but not overdo). I’m content to be back on program today. It feels like home! Having good food already waiting in the refrigerator and being well fed every day – I like this!

It’s encouraging to see so many people beginning their Whole 30 programs today. I agree with @POWERG - group support was so important the first time around.

1 hour ago, JodiLou said:

Hi, I'm Jodi I'm a middle age mother starting my first whole 30 on 4/2.  I am extremely overweight, so losing weight would be great, but I am trying whole 30 as I have had GI problems my entire life (since childhood) and would like to see if whole 30 can improve things.  Also I'm looking to just develop better eating habits and make better decisions for life. 

Problem 1 for me - I am not, nor ever have been, a breakfast eater.  I don't eat eggs.  I made a sweet potato hash with sausage, onions and garlic, and rosemary last night, and literally forced it down this morning with half an avocado.  It tasted good, I just cannot eat in the am so this will be my biggest challenge getting going. 

Looking forward to hearing what other people find challenging,  and how people are feeling. 

Welcome, @JodiLou! So happy you’ve joined us! I like breakfast but don’t usually eat the type of breakfast Whole30 calls for. So new habits. Which is really why I’m here! Be encouraged! We shall do this together!

3 hours ago, EJSmadhatter said:

I am going to start tomorrow. I have a large test today and not completely done with the prep. Here is my ghee. The first time I made it it too me 3 times and 8 sticks of butter. Tip don’t think you can leave it to do something else. It goes south quickly and burns. Once you make it a few times  then try and do other things while making it but stay in the kitchen and close to the stove. Lol. 

22C2BE4E-F81E-45A9-B382-9653840DE68C.jpeg

http://paleospirit.com/2012/how-to-make-ghee-in-the-oven/

I make mine in the oven, and it's way easier!  You can also make clarified butter, which is just removing all the milk solids and water from butter. It's not as nutty as ghee, but I've found it much better for cooking as the fat isn't as close to burning.  I usually make a bunch at a time and store one jar in the fridge and the other out. So far I've never had it spoil.

Oh, you'll probably also try to make a batch and have it end up weird and grainy/runny. That's normal because of the different fats in the ghee. I just microwave it to melt, stir it and then put it in the fridge until hard. Pull it out and use as normal :)

Day 1 has commenced for me! And it’s going well, I’ve had two eggs, guac and greens for breakfast. Lunch was a chicken burger, green beans, a small sweet potato and mandarin orange! I’m definitely feeling the effects of Easter, I had too much sugar and had to take tums later last night. Ugh. I’m so happy to be making a change.

26 minutes ago, Dana Milligan said:

Day 1 has commenced for me! And it’s going well, I’ve had two eggs, guac and greens for breakfast. Lunch was a chicken burger, green beans, a small sweet potato and mandarin orange! I’m definitely feeling the effects of Easter, I had too much sugar and had to take tums later last night. Ugh. I’m so happy to be making a change.

Dana, I am so with you. I ate way too much crap over the weekend and I felt sick. It was nice to eat a healthy breakfast this morning, but I'm definitely noticing that I'm triggered to binge on sugar. Once that stuff gets in my system, it takes me awhile to stop feeling the call to eat more of it. I'm glad you all are here for support, especially through this first week!

Barbara

I was all set to start tomorrow but I have been sick and am still taking cough medicine at night. Last night I tried to skip it but I gave in at about 1am as I was keeping my husband and myself up. The ingredient list has high fructose corn syrup, among other things. I've looked at a few sugar-free options, but they had saccharin or aspartame.

My husband thinks that I should wait a few more days till I am better enough to sleep. I'm bummed but I don't see how I can start if I know I'll be taking something like that for a few more days? I'll check in every day and see how you are all doing and let you know when I start. I'm hoping by Thursday!!

I'm jumping onboard too for day one of my 5th (or maybe 6th?) round of whole30. I haven't done any prep yet so will be stopping by trader joe's after work today for some staples. Breakfast was 2 eggs with sauteed mushroom and asparagus. I have a bunch of veggies but need to get compliant proteins and start to plan a little...

I really need to clean up my diet to battle joint pain and inflammation, itchy skin and some digestive issues. They always seem to come right back if I am not careful about what I eat. 

What an active fun group! 

1 minute ago, Dana Milligan said:

@sanjosebarbie yes I am definitely the same way! Once I have sugar, I swear I feel more hungry! No wonder I’m having trouble losing weight. Whole30 has already opened my eyes

I was off of sugar, alcohol, dairy, caffeine, and bread/potatoes/grains for 63 days at the beginning of the year, and I swear I completely stopped wanting any of it. It was so easy. I have no idea why I suddenly decided I just needed to try eating sugar again, but once I did, it was game on. I definitely feel like I am going to struggle during this first week, but I'm determined. Good luck to both of us getting that crap out of our systems.

4 minutes ago, sanjosebarbie said:

I was off of sugar, alcohol, dairy, caffeine, and bread/potatoes/grains for 63 days at the beginning of the year, and I swear I completely stopped wanting any of it. It was so easy. I have no idea why I suddenly decided I just needed to try eating sugar again, but once I did, it was game on. I definitely feel like I am going to struggle during this first week, but I'm determined. Good luck to both of us getting that crap out of our systems.

Yes you go girl! I’m sure this week will be hard, I’m also very determined! I’m tired of feeling like crap. Yes, good luck to us! We will get through it :) I’ll be checking in every day for support. I’m a great accountability partner if you need someone!

Just now, Dana Milligan said:

Yes you go girl! I’m sure this week will be hard, I’m also very determined! I’m tired of feeling like crap. Yes, good luck to us! We will get through it :) I’ll be checking in every day for support. I’m a great accountability partner if you need someone!

I would love an accountability partner. Is there an option for private messaging on this site, or do we just share emails? I'm so completely unfamiliar with everything here.

@JodiLou, I was never a breakfast person before Whole 30, either. But I have truly enjoyed having something warm, tasty and EASY each morning. On Sundays I make a breakfast casserole and slice it, then refrigerate. Each morning it's just two slices and a quick microwave warmup. For a good recipe, check out https://crazytogether.com/easy-delicious-breakfast-saved-whole-30/

Or just eat leftovers -- good food is good food.

@dnewc-  Hey, a veteran of Whole 30! Welcome. Do you have any tried & true recipes you are already planning to make? I love to hear what other people have come to reply on.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, sanjosebarbie said:

I would love an accountability partner. Is there an option for private messaging on this site, or do we just share emails? I'm so completely unfamiliar with everything here.

There is private messaging - go to the person's profile you want to message and hit the 'message' button. But truth be told, most people just use these threads since anyone can join and that's often where you get the best dialog, tips, tricks, troubles, solutions etc... We do not recommend sharing your email on a posting as this site is not private so hackers can grab your email.

I also started W30 today. This isn't my first one but the last one I did was probably in 2016. I came back because I'm starting to have GI issues and I know that I need to remove foods. So I will be doing this W30 eggless. I've done it before with no issue but I've gotten used to eating eggs that now I have to think back to what I did. Today I skipped breakfast (on purpose) and ate around 11:30am. I'm going to try to incorporate intermittent fasting just because it limits me with grazing. My worst habit. I know you aren't supposed to snack but sometime I find it hard not to so I try not the keep things around the house that I can eat by the handful as well as almond butter. I will eat that by the spoonful. I made a batch of meatballs and roasted some broccoli. Tomorrow I will go shopping for more veggies. My goal this time around is to up my veggie intake by like a lot.

Oh and to keep myself accountable, I'm using the Whole30 Day by Day book.

1 hour ago, Treesh said:

I started round 2 Whole30 today!

round 1 start was 1/12.

has anyone started a facebook group for this date?

Yayyy! Glad you are with us with some valuable experience too! @Treesh!  I don’t believe there is a FB Group for this date. It never even occurred to me! Great thought! Are you thinking of doing it?? By the way, welcome!! Smile.

1 hour ago, SugarcubeOD said:

There is private messaging - go to the person's profile you want to message and hit the 'message' button. But truth be told, most people just use these threads since anyone can join and that's often where you get the best dialog, tips, tricks, troubles, solutions etc... We do not recommend sharing your email on a posting as this site is not private so hackers can grab your email.

More valuable advice from you, @SugarcubeOD! Thank you!

2 hours ago, mamastebs said:

I started Whole30 today with my daughter. I was already low carb and avoided gluten and sugar as much as possible.  The hardest thing is having coffee without stevia...lol.  Looking forward to the journey! 

Welcome @mamastebs and daughter! So glad you have both joined us. Sounds like you were making some pretty good choices to begin with! We’re so happy you are here! 

2 hours ago, Amy Rose said:

@JodiLou, I was never a breakfast person before Whole 30, either. But I have truly enjoyed having something warm, tasty and EASY each morning. On Sundays I make a breakfast casserole and slice it, then refrigerate. Each morning it's just two slices and a quick microwave warmup. For a good recipe, check out https://crazytogether.com/easy-delicious-breakfast-saved-whole-30/

Or just eat leftovers -- good food is good food.

@dnewc-  Hey, a veteran of Whole 30! Welcome. Do you have any tried & true recipes you are already planning to make? I love to hear what other people have come to reply on.

@Amy RoseI love your breakfast casserole advice and the link! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!! Love that you are seeking out recipees from other veterans the rest of us can learn from too!

4 hours ago, Dana Milligan said:

Yes, @sanjosebarbie and @Dana Milligan, I had a pretty darn clean diet too and went just a little off it then more, now feel really bad too. I’ll also be checking in daily to the site for accountability, support, and to give support. We’ve got this!

Archived