Compliant Deli Ham

Rewdstir

Thank you for taking this rookie's question!  If the nutrition facts on deli ham show "Sugar 0g", does that make it Whole 30 compliant?

Second question (not sure if I'm supposed to create a new post), as far as cashews, almonds, and pistachios, are there some kinds that are not compliant that we should stay away from?

Gracias! 

Ham.jpg

When I was at the deli, I asked if they had any ham with no sugar and no additives.  They acted like they've never been asked that before.  All they were able to tell me in response was to hand me this Boar's Head book with nutrition facts.  None of the products had ingredients listed, only nutrition facts.  Should I not have this ham during Whole30, since I don't know what the ingredients are?

The back of this booklet reads "We still insist on the same unwavering commitment to those standards we established long ago.  Meats and cheeses that contain no gluten, artificial colors or flavors, MSG added, fillers or by-products, or trans fat."  I can post a picture of the back of the booklet, if that would help.

The ingredient lists for food products will become your best friend on Whole30! Start making a habit of always, always looking at the ingredient lists on products you buy. You'll be shocked as you come to realize all the garbage that is put into the foods we eat. Don't take for granted that even the simplest of foods are compliant! 

Unfortunately, most people wouldn't even know if something had sugar in it so you really can't ask. You have to look for yourself. You'll have to learn what ingredients are and are not compliant and then develop a habit for checking the ingredients on everything! 

On the other hand, I found that I almost never look at the nutrition facts anymore! Whole30 really is a different way of looking at food! 

PS: I sincerely doubt that your Boar's Head ham is compliant. Their website lists a sugar free section and they do not list ham in that section. In fact, I've never found compliant ham in a store before, though I hear that some people have... 

Good luck! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
3 minutes ago, LauraKY said:

Does anyone know of a brand of deli meats that are compliant? Boar's Head is a big brand around here too. Please let this newbie know!!!!!! Thank you!!!

As with all items, whether someone tells you or not, you have to read the ingredients of the item you plan to buy.  Deli meat isn't the best choice anyway, besides being harder to find, so maybe consider roasting your own chicken or baking a pot roast and thin slicing it.

@ladyshanny, thank you. I know deli meat is not the best choice. That being said, it is still allowed (dependent on ingredients or lack thereof). I have a horrific diet and am trying to ease my way in to the Whole30 this first time. I thought this OP was a good one and actually found in another thread where Whole Foods has Applegate deli meat that is compliant, so @Rewdstir hope that helps. Of course, make sure to check ingredient list.

Archived