Official 1/1/13 Start Group

LJG

Any other thoughts and how to stay as strong and nourished as possible when my digestive tract is under attack and angry? And yes, I realize that this isn't a place for medical advice and that anything that is suggested to me can not be construed as such.

Homemade chicken soup works wonders if you can get someone to cook for you. Or scrambled eggs?

Also Traditional Medicinals makes an organic ginger tea. Maybe sipping hot beverages will help. They have a huge selection so they might even have one designed for stomach flu.

I've been really crashing after my yoga (vinyasa 'power' type classes). ...

Otherwise, I'm feeling pretty good. I do that yoga class 3-4 times a week though so I'd like to figure it out if anyone has suggestions.

nsquared, hope you feel better already! I agree with Run4Fun and helen on the chicken soup, homemade it works wonders. Plus the ginger tea always works for me, as helen also suggested. Simply slice up a small piece (about a thumb for a big thermos flask that will do for the day), put into thermos, leave for at least 15 minutes, sip slowly.

helen, great that you love the yoga classes so much! I don't have any completely unexpected suggestions, but I can assure you that I read by a lot of people that their hunger increased a lot after about 10 days, same thing here. Maybe taking boiled eggs with you would help as PWO instead of the nuts?

For myself, I have to be very alert to whether it is actual hunger or rather emotional craving... but for your PWO situation you might just need a good snack to bridge the time until you are home. Let me know in a couple of days whether the feeling has changed. All the best!

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This Whole30 is turning me into a morning person! That is so weird for me. I'm awake when I get up and in great mood- like I could do anything! I have never had that before. :) I am used to be groggy and very tired in the morning. like I never slept at all. This is so cool!!!

Homemade chicken soup works wonders if you can get someone to cook for you. Or scrambled eggs?

Also Traditional Medicinals makes an organic ginger tea. Maybe sipping hot beverages will help. They have a huge selection so they might even have one designed for stomach flu.

nsquared, hope you feel better already! I agree with Run4Fun and helen on the chicken soup, homemade it works wonders. Plus the ginger tea always works for me, as helen also suggested. Simply slice up a small piece (about a thumb for a big thermos flask that will do for the day), put into thermos, leave for at least 15 minutes, sip slowly.

All great suggestions. Thanks. I am already feeing better. I only managed to get 1/2 cup of broth down yesterday and the tiniest bit of tea. Then I slept 12 hours. 12! The fever was gone this morning. I still feel weak. It's that shaky inside feeling. About 2 hours ago I had a yam and 2 scrambled eggs. So far, so good. I feel a little cramping in my stomach, but it's pretty mild.

My non-Whole30 friend had this same thing starting last Sunday. She was miserable for several days. She asked if I thought mine is a virus or related to Whole30. I told her it's classic viral gastroenteritis or what people call "stomach flu." Between my own experience and what I'm seeing here on the forums, it appears that those of us going the Whole30 route are having shorter and less intense bouts with the viruses that are going around. Maybe that's wishful thinking? I'm assuming that a boosted immune system and a happier gut is to be credited. Less than halfway through a Whole30. That's powerful stuff.

All great suggestions. Thanks. I am already feeing better. I only managed to get 1/2 cup of broth down yesterday and the tiniest bit of tea. Then I slept 12 hours. 12! The fever was gone this morning. I still feel weak. It's that shaky inside feeling. About 2 hours ago I had a yam and 2 scrambled eggs. So far, so good. I feel a little cramping in my stomach, but it's pretty mild.

My non-Whole30 friend had this same thing starting last Sunday. She was miserable for several days. She asked if I thought mine is a virus or related to Whole30. I told her it's classic viral gastroenteritis or what people call "stomach flu." Between my own experience and what I'm seeing here on the forums, it appears that those of us going the Whole30 route are having shorter and less intense bouts with the viruses that are going around. Maybe that's wishful thinking? I'm assuming that a boosted immune system and a happier gut is to be credited. Less than halfway through a Whole30. That's powerful stuff.

Glad you are feeling better. There is some nasty stuff going around. And yes, I am a total believer that strict Paleo eating boosts your immunities and limits the severity and duration of viruses. I've had one cold since I started Paleo 1 1/2 years ago and it only lasted a few days. My hubby hasn't been sick once!

I'm home from our weekend on the road, restaurants, and hotels. Thankful to say I made it intact. It wasn't easy - not because of a lack of motivation or cravings but because the rest of the country truly eats like crap so finding and sticking to healthy and whole foods was a real challenge. Crazy world,we live in. I look forward to the day when Paleo eating is more mainstream!

helen, great that you love the yoga classes so much! I don't have any completely unexpected suggestions, but I can assure you that I read by a lot of people that their hunger increased a lot after about 10 days, same thing here. Maybe taking boiled eggs with you would help as PWO instead of the nuts?

For myself, I have to be very alert to whether it is actual hunger or rather emotional craving... but for your PWO situation you might just need a good snack to bridge the time until you are home. Let me know in a couple of days whether the feeling has changed. All the best!

I haven't read that about hunger increasing so that is very helpful to hear. I went this morning but it wasn't as strenuous of a class as during the week. Trying to figure it out. I think the egg is a good suggestion. I also wonder if I'm underhydrated. I felt shaky and ill though which is not like me :)

I travel for my job and do my best to be prepared and you are right, most places have crap to sell. I've heard that in Japan they have fresh sushi, and fish and fruit and veggies in convenience stores, how nice!

Sometimes, I like to look at a conveinence store, or a grocery store from the "I am hungry and have to eat now, what would I choose?" And I find that best choices would be, boiled eggs from a convenience store or a can of tuna or luncheon meat, fruit, nuts, water. Thats pretty much it for a backwoods place unless I want to get a piece of chicken and scrape off the fried fat and know that it still soaked through to the meat.

Grocery stores have baked chicken, and of course I"ve seen individual packs of veggies and fruits for grab and go. Fast food is a nighmare mostly though.

Natpatben, I didn't care for the jicama either (husband didn't like it either). Of course, I didn't do the prep like you did. Have you tried the roasted carrots? We love those. I'm going to try to roast parsnips this week and see how those turn out.

Tomorrow, I'll finally order ISWF. Can't wait to get it in. I've really studied their sites, but I'm looking forward to the book.

We can't find a CSA, but we found a local farmer's network where you can order online during the winter. They have a great farmer's market during spring through fall, but nothing in the winter that I have found yet. But I need to find something because the produce in the store is expensive and I just don't know where it comes from. They also have some grass fed meat sources so that is a plus.

I think I may have figured out the fasting blood sugar issue...I was taking L-Glutamine in the beginning, but stopped around Day 8. I started taking it again and my fasting this morning was back in the 80's. It is a supplement that I read would help with sugar cravings, but it seems to also be helping my glucose levels.

Hope everyone is doing well. This weekend was surprisingly easier that I expected it to be. While I do think about what I might want to eat after I am done with the Whole30, I am also convinced that I won't go hog wild. Maybe one or two meals and then right back to Whole30. I really want to heal my body completely and I honestly think this is my best chance of reversing my Diabetes.

On to Week 3!!

Sometimes, I like to look at a conveinence store, or a grocery store from the "I am hungry and have to eat now, what would I choose?" And I find that best choices would be, boiled eggs from a convenience store or a can of tuna or luncheon meat, fruit, nuts, water....

Tom (the mod) has a link to his site with lots of whole30 recipes. I made the tuna salad one today and it was super delicious (tuna, avocado, jalapeno peppers, dried cranberries w/ apple juice, and more). If the tuna itself weren't so expensive, I'd make it a lot. The tuna was over $2.50/can!! Why? The recipe called for tuna in olive oil (instead of in water or vegetable oil). What I noticed when studying the cans of all the tuna is that all the ones in vegetable oil or broth have SOY in them! Soy wasn't listed as an ingredient on most of them, but under the list of ingredients in bold: "Includes: Tuna, Soy." Never realized that before.

Thinking about it, though... next time I may just buy ones in water and add olive oil. Tom specifically says it won't taste as good that way, but if that makes 2 cans $1.50 instead of $5.50... I may just have to go that route.

Tom (the mod) has a link to his site with lots of whole30 recipes. I made the tuna salad one today and it was super delicious (tuna, avocado, jalapeno peppers, dried cranberries w/ apple juice, and more). If the tuna itself weren't so expensive, I'd make it a lot. The tuna was over $2.50/can!! Why? The recipe called for tuna in olive oil (instead of in water or vegetable oil). What I noticed when studying the cans of all the tuna is that all the ones in vegetable oil or broth have SOY in them! Soy wasn't listed as an ingredient on most of them, but under the list of ingredients in bold: "Includes: Tuna, Soy." Never realized that before.

Thinking about it, though... next time I may just buy ones in water and add olive oil. Tom specifically says it won't taste as good that way, but if that makes 2 cans $1.50 instead of $5.50... I may just have to go that route.

I am trying to figure out where to be more economical since fresh fruits and veggies in the winter are expensive. I bought frozen green beans at Trader Joes and they were fine. Also, how can you really mess up tuna salad? I am sure adding the oil will be fine :)

Still doing well. Have the Kahlua Pig from Nom Nom's at home in the slow cooker. It cooked all night and hubby will be bringing me some for lunch. I have hormonal acne, and it's starting, but I only have two bumps instead of the half dozen or so, and no painful acne cysts either. Those are the worst, IMO.

Those who tried the jicama home fries, try them again in a few months. Hubby didn't like them either, really, and no, they're not going to be as soft as potatoes, but I really, really love them. This is how I do it -

clean and halfway peel them. You don't have to peel them all the way.

Cut into chunks, like potatoes, and add to slow cooker.

Cover in water about 1 inch.

Prepare in slow cooker about 6-7 hours instead of the 12-24

Drain and keep in fridge until ready to cook

Heat coconut oil in skillet. Saute onions (I also added some peppers). Instead of taking these out of the pan, I leave them in.

Add Jicama in one layer. I do have a huge skillet, so I add them in one layer and let them sit about 5 min.

Stir to turn, let sit another five minutes.

Add seasoning. I mix the seasoning together and blend, then add. Stir again, let sit five minutes.

Put into serving bowl and be sure to get the onions and peppers as well so it's all mixed together.

They will still be a bit crunchy, but these are really one of my favorite new recipes.

Started adding exercise last week.

Found yesterday a little bit frustating . . . apparently the theme for the da at work was a war on cholesterol and fatty food. "don't people know that fat makes your cholestrol bad!" :wacko: What do you say when you work in a hospital and everyone's nutriion education is still old school?

Other than that - still feeling great! Energy keeps increasing and I woke up before my alarm today! Also, I am unuaslly happy all day long! :D

What I did with the jicama home fries, and other veggies that we weren't consuming alone (spaghetto squash, cabbage), was throw them along with sauteed bell peppers (red, yellow, & green), onions, carrots, browned ground chicken, and baby spinach into a 9x13 pan. I used my Ninja to beat 14 eggs (so they'd be evenly whipped) and poured it on top. Baked for about 40 minutes and voila: egg/chicken/veggie casserole. My husband LOVES this and it's easy for the baby to eat, too.

734224_10101191944106347_866926075_n.jpg

Found yesterday a little bit frustating . . . apparently the theme for the da at work was a war on cholesterol and fatty food. "don't people know that fat makes your cholestrol bad!" :wacko: What do you say when you work in a hospital and everyone's nutriion education is still old school?

Other than that - still feeling great! Energy keeps increasing and I woke up before my alarm today! Also, I am unuaslly happy all day long! :D

I've been feeling great, too. Saturday AND Sunday, I woke up before the baby!

Regarding the nutrition mis-information spread at work, I struggle with that, too. I'm on a "Safety, Health, and Environment" team and we distrubuted a quarterly safety presentation on healthy eating. You can imagine how much I disagreed with many things in it.

What has been helping me a lot with all this cooking are all of my new kitchen gadgets!

Ninja Pulse blender

Vidalia Chop Wizard (As seen on tv, yet works great! Will be my birthday gift to my friends this year.)

Spiral vegetable slicer (works pretty well, but can't control thickness of slices)

Lemon/Lime squeezer

Garlic press

I have a mandolin slicer arriving tomorrow so that I can vary the thickness of the slices.

I THINK that will complete my need for gadgets. I'm especially pleased with that chop wizard and it makes chopping vegetables SUPER fast. Are there any others that have helped you all reduce prep time?

You guys, I am still not sleeping well! Am I doing something wrong? I haven't had anything off-plan, and I think I'm doing well getting protein and fat in my system, as well as some dense carbs. I eat dinner by 7PM at the latest, stop drinking water around 8PM, go to bed at 10 each night, and every night between 12 and 1 I wake up needing to visit the bathroom as though I'd been drinking water for four hours straight. After that, I wake up every couple of hours for no reason. This morning I was awake before boyfriend's alarm went off (at 5:30!), and I don't need to get up until 6:30, so I just laid there and tried to sleep. I don't know what to do. I feel great otherwise, but I'm completely envious of those of you who are sleeping well! *sigh*

On a happier note, I do have more consistent energy. On weekends, I usually do as little as possible and am motivated to do even less - all I usually want to do is lay around and watch tv or read and sleep. This last weekend, I found myself reading one morning and thinking, "I just need to get to a good place to stop in this book so I can go hang up the laundry." Like, what? That has never happened before - it would be more like, "I'll read one more chapter and then go hang up the laundry.... OK, one more after this.... or after that..." putting things off as long as possible. But last weekend I had energy and got stuff done, and relaxed a bit, too, so that was great. And boyfriend commented that he thinks I've lost weight. Friends are saying I'm glowing and look healthy. So, overall things are great, it's just the sleeping I can't seem to master.

I did have a mini meltdown this weekend - the midway part of anything is the hardest for me, always - I got really upset Saturday night because I just wanted a treat, and this plan is so unfair that I can't have treats, blah, blah, blah - it was a total tantrum. Boyfriend gave me a Lara Bar and a hug, and let me rant and rave until I was over it. I guess I have some emotional issues with food, after all!

We're having my parents and grandparents over for dinner this Saturday, so that should put me in a position similar to what those of you with health-related work jobs are probably going through - all four of them have different ideas about what "healthy" eating is, and my Mom just keeps saying I'm on "that weird diet," and that I "can't eat anything." LOL - she just doesn't like vegetables. :lol:

Happy Day 14! Can you believe tomorrow is halfway???

You guys, I am still not sleeping well! Am I doing something wrong? I haven't had anything off-plan, and I think I'm doing well getting protein and fat in my system, as well as some dense carbs. I eat dinner by 7PM at the latest, stop drinking water around 8PM, go to bed at 10 each night, and every night between 12 and 1 I wake up needing to visit the bathroom as though I'd been drinking water for four hours straight. After that, I wake up every couple of hours for no reason. This morning I was awake before boyfriend's alarm went off (at 5:30!), and I don't need to get up until 6:30, so I just laid there and tried to sleep. I don't know what to do. I feel great otherwise, but I'm completely envious of those of you who are sleeping well! *sigh*

What about your caffeine intake? Some people become very sensitive to caffeine on a Whole 30 - you could experiment with that to see if it makes a difference. It doesn't sound like you're waking up hungry from what you said. That has to be frustrating when so many of us are sleeping soundly. Over the last week or so, I've had a solid 8 to 10 hours each night. I might wake up around 2:00 to hit the restroom but I'm back asleep within minutes.

One thing we started trying right before Christmas is a plug in organic lavender mister for the bedroom. It gives off a scent every 5 seconds or so and is really lovely. So as I am trying to get back to sleep, I focus on smelling that. I couldn't swear by it but I really have enjoyed it. My hubby read that lavender is a "natural" sleep aid so we thought we'd give it a try.

My caffeine intake is way down. I suppose I could try cutting it out entirely, but I'm only drinking, like, half a cup of black coffee with breakfast (around 7:15 AM) every day. And, no, not hungry when I wake. Just awake. I'll try drinking none tomorrow and see if that helps!

I get up to use the bathroom once/night, regardless of when I stop drinking water (it seems). This started once I had a baby just over a year ago. I just keep things dark and can usually fall back to sleep right afterward. I woke up an hour before my alarm as well, but that was because the baby was screaming/crying from her crib down the hall. So basically, I empathize with your situation, though I have no solution.

I have a 4 and 5 year old. I haven't slept well in years, lol. Actually, the past few nights have been bad sleep for me. I got over the having to pee all night the first two nights but it started again for me Thursday and I had a few rough nights. Last night I was up all night I felt like and got up at 6. I don't know. I am doing well on the program too and I exercise a lot. Maybe it is just the detox process. I always blame estrogen when I can't sleep...

I am not sleeping well either though I never know what it's from. I cosleep with a 2.5 year old and my 5.5 year old has a bed in our room, too. ;)

I am ready for Tiger Blood stage. I feel like I am in this slump. This is the "biggest" challenge I've ever done. Yay, halfway, but man I just.. I wish I were seeing more results right now. I know eventually it'll be worth it, but I am going into my PMS stage here in the next few days (sorry guys) and I am nervous. I am usually anxious, frustrated, easily overwhelmed, etc. and I'm trying to make sure I am setting myself up for success.

My weekend went well, stayed on plan, yadda yadda. :)

NatPatBen, I know cost is an issue for you on a lot of these foods. I can remember about 6 years ago when my family would mock me for my $15 chickens. I know that you get what you pay for, though it has taken me this long to really understand and appreciate that statement. There is so much - the process to be certified organic us very expensive for our farmers, many of our local farms are organic but they opted out of the program because of it. You can't trust marketing buzzwords/labels such as "natural", and the government even allows a little bit of wiggle room with the organic label. I try to eat as local as I can, and then source directly for other things. I have a tab open to VitalChoice to buy some salmon and tuna, maybe with my tax return? It's hard to think about spending that kind of money if I ate a can of each type each week would cost me $100 every 6 weeks. Oof. I know Costco has wild caught canned salmon and I'm considering re-upping just to help my budget a bit.

I am ready for Tiger Blood stage. I feel like I am in this slump. This is the "biggest" challenge I've ever done. Yay, halfway, but man I just.. I wish I were seeing more results right now. I know eventually it'll be worth it, but I am going into my PMS stage here in the next few days (sorry guys) and I am nervous. I am usually anxious, frustrated, easily overwhelmed, etc. and I'm trying to make sure I am setting myself up for success.

Torena - just keep your goals front and center. Feel them strongly enough that you can almost taste them. You might even surprise yourself as your PMS symptoms might not be as serious as they were pre Whole 30. You got this. I believe in you!

Please someone talk me down off the ledge. We have made it this far but tonight I am feeling like I wanna give up for some reason. I got persuaded to work 6 12 hr shifts (5 of them in a row) this week and I am feeling like this is too much all the sudden. I am tired and I don't wanna cook and I just want the rest of the week to be simple. I just wanna go to the cafeteria and eat something without worrying about what's in it or without lugging my cooler around. I have this nagging thought that "yeah it works, but its not worth the stress." What is going on?! I was feeling so good and enthusiastic and I haven't changed anything. Threw out a whole pack of chicken tonight that was bad despite the date on the package. That makes me so mad! Ugh, I'm frustrated Help!

Archived