Cooking for a vegetarian tomorrow...

Nicole

We are having family over tomorrow instead of going out to dinner (compromise). One of them is vegetarian and she said she wants carbs.. Fine, I always say that paleo is low carb by default and not because it's actually a low carb diet. So I guess we will have sweet potatoes (called kumara here in New Zealand).

But what else do I do? I'm having a hard time coming up with a plan that will satisfy all the meat eaters, the carb needers, and the vegetarians. Plus, I have no idea what vegetarians eat... Like what makes a complete and satisfying meal for them in a Whole 30 kind of a way.

Too bad I can't do kumara chips (ie sweet potato fries) cooked in duck fat! That is the best ever!

I will make a bunch of mocktails for everyone. We are not the only ones in the group who don't drink so that will be an easy one!

Any ideas? I think the vegetarian eats eggs, so I guess I could do a crust-less quiche... Hmmm. But I want to make it a really special dinner since I've tricked them all to come over for healthy food on their last night in Wellington.

Having been both vegeatarian and vegan at different times, I would definitely expect a vegetarian to eat eggs unless they specifically said otherwise. So a veggie crustless quiche or frittatta or mini muffins would be good. You could also do Mexican eggs or something like that or a vegetable curry(with sweet potatoes added) and cauliflower 'rice', or a soup veggie for her, meat added for the rest. There's no reason you can't do something individually for her especially if it's like a quiche or something and she shares your side dishes. When people did this for me, it just made me appreciate the meal all the more.

I think the most important thing is what you leave out. As you've realised, no duck fat :(, also no bone broth or meat stock added to anything. It's amazing th number of people who used to assure me the meal was vegetarian forgetting the meat stock cube in the soup or the fish sauce in the curry. If you take the trouble to do that I'm sure she'll appreciate it. Let us know how you get on.

If you google "raw food vegan" you might find something that your friend can eat that would also fit the whole 30 requirements.

Or just do a good old lamb roast for everyone, with a lentil loaf/nut loaf for your friend.

Sweet potato chips in coconut oil are good too, especially with cinnamon on the spuds.

You could make stuffed eggplants - halve the eggplants, roast in the oven until soft, scoop out the flesh and fry up with some onion, garlic, tomatoes, capsicum, whatever, then stuff back into the eggplants and sprinkle with chopped basil, olives, pine nuts etc and bake again until the nuts are toasty. Or stuffed twice baked kumara, or zucchini, or capsicums.... hahahaha I really like stuffing things :P Or a hearty salad, like a roast veggie salad with tahini dressing or something, or zucchini fritters....

Having been both vegeatarian and vegan at different times, I would definitely expect a vegetarian to eat eggs unless they specifically said otherwise. So a veggie crustless quiche or frittatta or mini muffins would be good. You could also do Mexican eggs or something like that or a vegetable curry(with sweet potatoes added) and cauliflower 'rice', or a soup veggie for her, meat added for the rest. There's no reason you can't do something individually for her especially if it's like a quiche or something and she shares your side dishes. When people did this for me, it just made me appreciate the meal all the more.

I think the most important thing is what you leave out. As you've realised, no duck fat :(, also no bone broth or meat stock added to anything. It's amazing th number of people who used to assure me the meal was vegetarian forgetting the meat stock cube in the soup or the fish sauce in the curry. If you take the trouble to do that I'm sure she'll appreciate it. Let us know how you get on.

It's funny because now this is what happens when people cook me a "paleo meal." I have been served rice and corn just last week when people were trying very hard to accommodate my needs. I appreciated the effort though :)

Thank you for the advice!

This morning I woke up thinking I would do tacos, have fish tacos for the meat eaters and then corn tortillas for the people who wanted them (should be easy for us to avoid this temptation I think), and lettuce wraps for us Whole 30 folks (just my husband and I)...

But then that still doesn't solve the vegetarian plan. Is there a good taco meat substitute (made of veggies and not tofu preferably)? I like the sound of the grilled eggplant! Maybe I could make like a medley of egg plant, tomato, and whatever that can be used as a salsa, or a main ingredient?

Hmmm... Thanks for the advice everyone!

I thought I had it planned perfectly when I served my vegan friend a grilled eggplant with salsa on top. Turns out, she also didn't eat nightshades!!! Sometimes you just can't win. :)

Hah!

Another thought is to just ask your veg*n friend what a good idea would be, given both of your restraints!

Vegetarian Times has a sweet potato enchilada recipe you could adapt a bit. I don't have it but perhaps their site does?

That is a brilliant idea! I have another vegetarian friend coming over this week or the next. I will look into this.

Archived