Tahini

Pashcool

• Moderators

Tahini is fine, just double check ingredients if you buy it to be sure there's nothing added to it.

Some people use coconut aminos to substitute for soy sauce, but some people don't care for them. They're definitely not exactly the same, you'd just have to try them and see if they work for you.

I love coconut aminos and prefer them to soy sauce now. I use them in the same way as soy sauce and sustitute 1:1 in recipes.

I've also fallen in love with this ketchup/BBQ sauce - so much better than anything I've every purchased:

• 1/2 cup tomato paste
  • 6 dates, soaked for 10-15 minutes in 1/4 cup hot water to soften
  • 2 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 2/3 cup coconut aminos
  • salt and pepper

Once the dates are soft and mushy, mix it altogether to a smooth consistency. For ketchup, add more hot water to desired consistency.

• Whole30 Certified Coach

I love coconut aminos and also prefer it to soy sauce now, so good! Tahini is also OK and can be a great base for dressings and sauces, just make sure you read the label:)

Coconut aminos are made the aged nectar (or sap) of coconut blossoms. They're sweet because there's natural sweetness in the nectar. In most cases, nectar is off limits, but in this specific case they've made the exception... and I'm so very glad they did. I can't handle much of tahini, and I can't even bring myself to try fish sauce (the word "anchovies" has nothing to do with my food, ever), so it's coco aminos or nothing for me :) 

I don't typically sub it 1:1 for soy sauce, though. I think it's usually more like 2/3 the amount of soy I would've used previously. That said, though, my soy got tossed out during my first Whole30 and I haven't bought more since, because I just plain prefer the coco aminos.

Archived