Starting July 8th and Preparing for All the Suck

• Whole30 Certified Coach
23 hours ago, KaraS said:

can you share some of your stress-relievers? Is it literally in you back pocket like a stress ball or something else? 

No, nothing literal.  If a stress ball would help you then go for it!  Things that work for me are reading or listening to a book on tape, taking a walk, calling my best friend, and taking a bath.  I wish I could say meditation, but I have never gotten into that habit.  However, it is something that I want to explore.  I agree with the sentiment that you have to find the things that work for you.   It takes a very conscious effort at first to change the behavior, but it is worth it!

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Halfway through Day 5. I took everyone's advice and stopped counting calories. There were temptations at work both yesterday and today, in the form of cheese, bread, alcohol, bagels, donut holes, and muffins, but I abstained. It wasn't even that difficult. I'm not having the wild sugar cravings I anticipated, maybe because I'm eating more fruit than I had been.

I dreamed that I ate some pasta, but I didn't even get to enjoy it in my dream because I knew I wasn't supposed to be having it. I'm missing cheese and yogurt a LOT. I was eating leftovers last night, and it wasn't until I was done that I remembered that I was eating riced cauliflower and NOT rice. That doesn't mean that I was exactly satisfied by the cauliflower, but I like it enough. I'm feeling a little sad because I don't look forward to meals anymore. I just can't get EXCITED about vegetables like I could about pizza, or sushi, or even a simple sandwich. I miss the CONVENIENCE of my 'usual' diet. It's Friday afternoon, I'm tired from the week, and the last thing I want to do is stop at the store and then cook. That doesn't mean I am ready to drop this program, but I'm feeling a little annoyed and sad at the moment. 

@kristilarson I know what you mean about not being excited about my food. I was looking through some recipes and cookbooks this morning and even though some of it sounded good none of it jumped out and yelled, "Cook me! I'm awesome!" I am going to make a buffalo chicken spaghetti squash recipe that is compliant and the chorizo sweet potato hash everyone has been talking about and I'm going to keep scouring Pinterest for more recipes. I'm also struggling with finding things that are compliant for me but also what the rest of my family will eat. It's a little daunting.

Day 4 NSV- I had a sweet potato as part of my lunch today and the sweet and delicious flavors that I tasted in it- I think my tastebuds are becoming more sensitive to the sweetness and flavor in unprocessed and natural foods.  Yum! 

I just thought I'd pop in to give a few thoughts on stress relief and being excited over food...

When I'm stressed, one of the first things I usually reach for is aromatherapy (essential oils), sometimes paired with a shower or bath. Music also helps me -- I've got a handful of YouTube playlists set up (different types of music for different moods), and iHeartRadio is something I've started using recently since I can play my favorite radio station or listen to stations based on a few specific artists I enjoy. Relaxing in a pool is one of my absolute favorite ways to unwind, though I don't get to do it often (a bath is about as close as I get except a few times per year, I'm afraid).

If I absolutely want to kill all the things and nothing else is helping, I go kill all the things... really! I enjoy playing video games sometimes, and I've got a few that are fun to just go in and kill stuff when the urge strikes. I don't spend hours and hours at them, but it definitely helps sometimes to just go spend an hour (if that) going absolutely nuts in a way that (while not productive) isn't destructive.

Regarding food excitement, mine didn't always come from the idea of eating something, but instead happened when I realized how good it was or how much my family was enjoying it. It was exciting to learn how to cook new things (or new ways to cook old favorites), exploring new flavor profiles, and so on. I'm also a sucker for trolling through recipes to figure out how to create some of the flavors we've enjoyed in a way that I'm able to feel good about eating them (like bulgogi and daikon noodles, instead of the traditional bulgogi jap chae). Stuff like that definitely excites me, even now that I know I can enjoy it occasionally at my favorite restaurant... because it's even better if I can enjoy it more often at home :) 

1 hour ago, Kris22 said:

Day 4 NSV- I had a sweet potato as part of my lunch today and the sweet and delicious flavors that I tasted in it- I think my tastebuds are becoming more sensitive to the sweetness and flavor in unprocessed and natural foods.  Yum! 

This right here was one of my favorite things about my first round. I had NO IDEA how awesome sweet potatoes, butternut squash, and even carrots could be with nothing but oil and a few spices... no sugar needed!

17 hours ago, kristilarson said:

Halfway through Day 5. I took everyone's advice and stopped counting calories. There were temptations at work both yesterday and today, in the form of cheese, bread, alcohol, bagels, donut holes, and muffins, but I abstained. It wasn't even that difficult. I'm not having the wild sugar cravings I anticipated, maybe because I'm eating more fruit than I had been.

I dreamed that I ate some pasta, but I didn't even get to enjoy it in my dream because I knew I wasn't supposed to be having it. I'm missing cheese and yogurt a LOT. I was eating leftovers last night, and it wasn't until I was done that I remembered that I was eating riced cauliflower and NOT rice. That doesn't mean that I was exactly satisfied by the cauliflower, but I like it enough. I'm feeling a little sad because I don't look forward to meals anymore. I just can't get EXCITED about vegetables like I could about pizza, or sushi, or even a simple sandwich. I miss the CONVENIENCE of my 'usual' diet. It's Friday afternoon, I'm tired from the week, and the last thing I want to do is stop at the store and then cook. That doesn't mean I am ready to drop this program, but I'm feeling a little annoyed and sad at the moment. 

Today is a new day and hopefully you are just about done with the KATT phase!  In regards to the excitement of food - consider trying to find a compliant way to make something you really enjoy (not SWYPO, but something easy to swap in compliant ingredients).  For example, with grilling season maybe a burger or hot dog bar with all of the fixings or slow cooker ribs which are super easy and delicious.  Pair with some compliant potato or green salad.

One of the funniest things that I've found happening to me after Whole30 is when I go out to eat and find myself comparing my ordered food to how I'd make it or something similar at home (since I stay paleo or Whole30 compliant at home, just about always)... and of course, I assume my way would taste better because, you know, kitchen confidence (yay NSV). In some cases, knowing my at-home versions are as good if not better actively prevents me from ordering certain things now, because I know good and well that I won't enjoy it as much as I would at home, even with not having to cook and clean up!

It feels almost insane, sometimes, but the "compliance-comparison" actually saves me from making food freedom decisions that I'm not certain I will (or should) enjoy... because if I don't enjoy it fully, it simply isn't worth it.

That happened a lot with burgers, because I almost always figure I'd enjoy my homemade 5-ingredient burgers more than basically any burger I could get from a restaurant (they're definitely better than any fast food burger I've tasted and I haven't bothered with any from a sit-down place since my Whole30). I also prefer homemade barbecue when compared to most places (there are one or two that I'd take theirs over mine, but that's just the meat, I skip the sauce entirely). Slaw, most soups, meatloaf, mashed potatoes, etc. Sometimes I have to force my brain to shush so I can actually enjoy my meal in peace (knowing I'll mull over it later)!

Granted, there are things that are way beyond what I could do at home; but those are things I can consider writing into my Food Freedom, so I'm able to enjoy them without having to cook them at home. Buffets are occasionally part of my Food Freedom as well, but only if I'm not alone -- I'll be less likely to overeat if I'm with someone else, and knowing we'll have drastically different plates is part of what makes it worth it (big variety, but not a huge kitchen prep and cleanup effort from me).

Masonjar87- that is similar to my menu graph but I like the "what I have" and "what I need" columns.  I will use that for sure.  Thanks!  Checking in on my Day 5.  Today's first meal went better than the last few days as far as food quantity went.  It helped to arrange my plate knowing that that was what was on the menu and nothing more.  I included a few almonds and a couple of freshly picked strawberries with Tazo organic baked cinnamon apple tea to end the meal and that was it.  Got my big girl pants on today. 

I started my first Whole30 on Monday, July 7, but just now found this group. I am doing Whole30 because I want to reduce inflammation in my body that is causing me aches and pains in my joints, and stiffness that I want to think I’m too young for (I’m 61). Because I REALLY want to be able to test foods during Reintroduction, I’m pretty motivated to stick to the rules. But I could really use some support and am excited to find this group. 

The cravings hit me really hard yesterday, and I’ve wanted to be on the couch for two days now. I’m so tired, but I’m sleeping well at night. I’m hoping I’ll have more energy soon. 

Hey everyone! End of Day 6 year. My hubby made amazing rib eye steaks on the grill tonight and I don't think they've ever tasted so good! My sleep quality is already much improved and that makes me very happy because that was one of my goals. We went to a friend's birthday tonight and I was very sorely tempted by the buffalo chicken dip but I resist. Fortunately I had already had that fabulous steak. I am meal prepping tomorrow and I'm going to try my hand at making the Magic Mushroom Powder from Nom Nom Paleo. Wish me luck!  I'm so grateful to have all of you here ❤

17 hours ago, Latterdayhippie said:

I started my first Whole30 on Monday, July 7, but just now found this group. I am doing Whole30 because I want to reduce inflammation in my body that is causing me aches and pains in my joints, and stiffness that I want to think I’m too young for (I’m 61). Because I REALLY want to be able to test foods during Reintroduction, I’m pretty motivated to stick to the rules. But I could really use some support and am excited to find this group. 

The cravings hit me really hard yesterday, and I’ve wanted to be on the couch for two days now. I’m so tired, but I’m sleeping well at night. I’m hoping I’ll have more energy soon. 

So glad you are here!  Reduction in inflammation is a great reason to do a Whole30 and reintroduction can have a powerful impact on your knowledge.  The people here are very supportive.  You are in the toughest days, but keep focusing on your why and things will start to turn around soon.  Hang in there :)

Day7 and so tired and sweaty. I went to a new church this morning and felt feverish. I am dealing with pain from car accident so it could be that both is accounting for my aweful symptoms. But I am tasting food better and sooo hungry come meal times. My 8 year old has loved almost every meal I have made with filled my heart with happiness! I have also been in the kill all things but I am just trying to bite my tongue. I can’t wait for energy to return, did I ever have it? I did not know I could be this tired. The back pain seems worse. I’m just checking in. Grocery shopping today is going to be my superwoman moment. But I will do it. For those who are not feeling this struggle, be very grateful trust me! Is the sweating normal? It really seems like it’s been forever, am I not drinking enough water? Or too much? Can I make it stop? Eat, sleep, pray for tigers blood. Lol

PS I am so proud of all of us!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

@Laura of The Great White North Way to stay strong!  If you’re craving something like that try these recipes from Paleomg.  I haven’t tried the potato salad but the jalapeño Popper chicken salad is life!  I’ve already got it planned for next weekend’s meal prep for lunches.  She’s got a lot of good salads and casseroles.  Not everything is Whole30 but a lot of it is.

https://paleomg.com/jalapeno-popper-chicken-salad-cooking-video/

https://paleomg.com/buffalo-chicken-bacon-ranch-potato-salad/

@KaraS making healthy meals your family loves is an awesome NSV!  I don’t know about the sweating...it’s not a symptom I’ve dealt with before.  Maybe one of the moderators has some feedback.  As far as being really tired, that’s right on track.  Your body is switching from carb burning to fat burning.  One thing to keep an eye on though is being crazy hungry for meals.  If you’re feeling super hungry between meals or like you’re starving right before you eat I might take a look at your portion sizes and healthy fats.  Hunger is normal and great, your body is getting back to typical signals.  If you are crazy hungry though and the tiredness lasts longer than a few days you might not be eating enough. Just something to think about!

Well, I’m heading to a Bastille Day festival soon.  I’m carrying some emergency food to help resist the wine and crepes...wish me luck!

Day 6 check-in.  KaraS and Sarah_MTI too have a happy heart for meals that I prepare that my family enjoys.  It is great to make a whole30 compliant meal that we can all enjoy.  We even had guests who came for dinner last night and the whole meal was a great success.  I love that it is summer and we can support local farmers and get fresh and delicious veggies- it's a win for all.  On another note, I have also discovered Coconut Aminos as a soy sauce substitute and I think I actually like it better than soy sauce.  I am very interested in eliminating soy from my diet especially because I have been diagnosed with an under-active thyroid.  I look forward to seeing if there are any changes in my thyroid function.  I have also been tired these past few days and wondering if/when that will change.  I planned my meals for the week today using  masonjar87's template and it streamlined my grocery shopping, so thanks again for that.  I will be trying a couple of the recipes in Whole30 guide book: tuna boats and stuffed peppers.  I liked the chicken hash recipe though I tweaked it a little to make it doable in my kitchen.  Anyhow, thanks! 

On 7/13/2019 at 1:54 PM, Latterdayhippie said:

I too am focused on reintroduction to keep inflammation down. Welcome to the group. I am excited to learn how to keep my body young and healthy via healthy food choices. Look forward to this journey together!

16 minutes ago, Kris22 said:

Day 6 check-in.  KaraS and Sarah_MTI too have a happy heart for meals that I prepare that my family enjoys.  It is great to make a whole30 compliant meal that we can all enjoy.  We even had guests who came for dinner last night and the whole meal was a great success.  I love that it is summer and we can support local farmers and get fresh and delicious veggies- it's a win for all.  

Wow impressive! You cooked for guests that must have felt great. My husband has always been the chef but he has been to tired to cook so I have been and it’s building a ton of confidence. I am also really looking forward to supporting local farmers. I haven’t had the energy and time yet but we have a farmers market here in Temecula on Wednesday so I am going to do my best to get there. 

On 7/11/2019 at 2:43 PM, ShannonM816 said:

Good job!

As far as stress relievers, different things work for different people, so hopefully you'll get lots of suggestions and can find what works for you. For me, I color or draw or do craft things. Sometimes journaling what I'm feeling and thinking about can be helpful. If I can't sleep, especially if it's because I have achy muscles or can't get comfortable, sometimes I take a hot bath to help me relax.

Yoga is helping me tremendously with stress relief, especially “stretch and restore” and yin yoga. The longer poses allow time for meditation and connecting with your breath, all while restoring mobility and healthy movement to your body. 

Day 8 has dawned and I feel much better in terms of less hunger and fewer cravings. Still struggling a little with not being able to enjoy a beer or glass of wine with my friends, but I’m committed and know it’ll be worth the short term sacrifice.  

Saturday I shopped the Farmers Market and last night made dinner for my sweetie. I grilled organic, free range chicken thighs along with a spaghetti squash. While they were cooking I sliced a fresh tomato and made pesto without cheese. After I shredded the spaghetti squash into a bowl I added the pesto and it was REALLY GOOD. Here’s my pesto recipe:

1/3 cup lightly toasted walnut halves

2 cups (packed) fresh basil leaves

generous amount of salt and freshly ground black pepper

3 cloves fresh garlic

Approximately 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, more or less to get proper consistency  

-place all ingredients except Olive oil into food processor and pulse/grind until everything is the size of coarse corn meal. Open feed and drizzle olive oil in while processing until pesto is the desired consistency  (I like mine to be like a thin paste.)

thats it! Super tasty and can be used as a dip, a topping, or a sauce  

Except I’m hurting. The last couple of days I have had dull constant pain in my hips, stiffness, and general aches and pains all over: the stuff I’m hoping to get over. Normal light exercise and stretches leave me sore. Could this be an effect of toxins being released? Unrelated?

We made it through Day 8 everybody! The day by day guide says that this week cravings are supposed to be worse than last week so I'm trying to keep that in the forefront of my mind in order to not trip into one. I made one of my favorite meals tonight - buffalo chicken spaghetti squash. I found it a while ago and I'm so glad I did. Also, thank you to all of you who talked about the chorizo and sweet potato hash. I made that for breakfast and it's very good! I wish you all a successful Day 9!

As someone just a few days ahead of the bunch, let me say YES, prepare for some hard cravings on Day 10!! I had a hard day just in general, and not being able to escape into chocolate or baked goods or even just a bowl of rice (I'm Asian, it's definitely comfort food!) made me even grumpier than I had been! I sorta caved and ate a small handful of blueberries as soon as I got home out of spite (and hunger, because it was 7:30 and I hadn't had dinner yet). I know it was against the spirit of the program but at least it was a Good Food...? LOL

I say this not to scare anyone but to encourage you to keep up the good fight! We're gonna make it!

P.S. I'm putting my meal/shopping template into a modifiable document in case anyone wants to use it. I hope to finish it tomorrow when I have some free time.

Mostly through Day 9. My cravings were screaming at me yesterday! Much louder than last week. I'm also feeling grumpy, because of the heat, and my period. I'm surprised it took 9 days, but earlier today I thought that maybe I should quit. I think it happened after I saw the announcement that work is serving lasagna at our weekly meeting tomorrow. Sigh. I miss cheese and bread more than sugar, which isn't what I expected. I just feel so unsatisfied. Anyway, it's been getting harder this week, so I should probably reach out to the Forum more often. 

Good work, everyone! I know we're all putting in a lot of effort. 

One reason I decided to start the program was because the first half of 2019 has been incredibly difficult, and I now have time to re-focus on myself. My dad was diagnosed with lung cancer in May 2018, but it had already spread to his brain. (DO NOT SMOKE CIGARETTES. THEY CAN LITERALLY KILL YOU.) Brain surgery and countless chemo, radiation, and immunotherapy treatments bought him some more time, but he passed away on June 3 of this year, at the age of 61. I have traveled between Boston and North Dakota 5 times since February, one of those times by car (solo, 1710 miles each way, 3 audio books). I missed several weeks of work, always worrying that I'd have to take unpaid time off or, worse, lose my job (luckily, neither thing happened). I was training for a half marathon set for May 11th, but I had to cancel when it was a week out. Honestly, I wasn't physically or mentally prepared, so it's probably for the best. I was eating poorly, with all this travel. And let's face it, I was exhausted and didn't care all that much about what I was putting in my body.

I thought I'd be able to see him through to the end, but it was just too hard. He could no longer live alone. His brain was just too damaged--he no longer knew what decade or state he was in. I had to make some really difficult decisions, and get him admitted to the hospital and then into a nursing home. I did these things largely on my own. My sister lived in his town, but was in and out of the picture. It was best that she mostly stayed away, because I'd discovered that she had been forging checks from his bank account for months. My dad's sister was helpful in the way that she wanted to talk about the situation constantly and offer her help, but didn't always take action (she was also a 5 hour drive away from him). In the end, he only lasted 3 weeks after going into the hospital. I had to take in his 17-year-old cat, one of the best cats I've ever met, but who hasn't exactly been welcomed with open paws by my 17-year-old cat. (They're actually from the same litter!)

I'm trying to take my life back, now that I don't have this cancer hanging over me, in the background of every thought. Within an hour of Dad dying, I felt a literal weight come off of my shoulders. I was finally able to think about the future. I don't mean The Future, but like, yes, I'll be able to attend that conference for work in a couple weeks. I no longer had to worry that my dad would 'choose' early September to die so that I wouldn't be able to be Maid of Honor in a wedding in Seattle. (I won't go into the guilt I feel about being relieved that he has died. It's a stage of grief, apparently.) I'm seeing a therapist, and I'm happy to be back at work, and in my own home. I'm signed up for a half marathon in February (in Bermuda!). I'm going to 2 other weddings this year. And now I have time to reset my diet. Although after typing this paragraph, I'm wondering why I decided to tackle something difficult on top of it all. Grieving is hard enough, and now I'm denying myself comfort food and tasty beers! But also: I want to live! I want to live a long life! 

I didn't really intend on going into everything, but once I started, it couldn't be stopped. I'm grieving, even though it doesn't always feel that way, and when it does feel that way, I feel like I'm doing it incorrectly. I guess I wanted to share my story because if I seem really negative about the Whole30 experience, it might not just be about the diet. 

Kristi

This has been Day 8 for me.  I have to say, yesterday was my best yet.  My cravings were down for sure.  I felt more even tempered yesterday too.  I also found ways to relax in the evening without snacking.  Today I was a little sluggish and dragging.  I don't know if my body has been able to adapt to using fat for energy yet.  If today is any indication, then not yet. Hopefully it will happen soon.  I had a few moments when I felt dismayed at the limitations of food choices.  I know there are tons of great recipes and have been enjoying several but there is a little girl in me having a hissy fit about what she wants that she can't have and how unfair life is.  Nevertheless, I can put a check in the box for Day 8.  It is in the bag.  

kristilarson, just wanted to say I posted before I read your post.  Then I read your share and wow you have really gone through a lot.  I am so sorry about your dad.  It sounds like you are really picking yourself up and making a decision about how you want to live.   Well, we are all here and cheering for you to stay on track and keep up your record.  You have done 9 days- almost a third of the way there!  I know Day 8 (today for me) was hard too.  I think if we all stick to sharing on the forum and calling out for support when we are having doubts, we will get through it.  It is worth it, if not for anything else than that you can commit to this program for a full 30 days.  But I am betting that there will be many more ways that our bodies are benefitting. Thanks for your post! 

Archived