YGetty

Hey All, 

I just got braces, and finding healthy snacks that will not pop my brackets that are also whole30 compliant is proving to be a bit of a challenge.  When you look up lists of snacks recommended for people wearing braces you get a lot of:

Dairy: soft cheese, pudding, milk-based drinks, Breads: soft tortillas, pancakes, muffins without nuts, Grains: pasta, soft cooked rice, and Treats: ice cream without nuts, milkshakes, Jell-O, cake.

My normal go to snacks are now all off limits because they're too hard/crunchy.  I've got apple sauce, but I prefer salty snacks over sweet ones.  Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

While it is definitely better not to snack, sometimes it's necessary in order to bridge the gap between two meals... however, if you're going to snack, then I definitely suggest making it a "mini-meal" instead of just a handful of one type of food.

A small salad of diced Roma tomatoes, diced sweet onions, and diced cucumbers. Toss it with a bit of homemade vinaigrette (or top it with some compliant ranch) and it's delicious. I often add a chopped up boiled egg (for protein) and serve with avocado or black olives (for fat).

Veggie peels. Just use a vegetable peeler to peel off thin slices of carrots, cucumbers (or zucchini, yum!), radishes, etc. and dip them in a compliant dressing of choice. Add some boiled egg slices (or take bites out of a whole one) or chopped up bits of chicken to make it a mini-meal. If you find veggie peels to be too stiff, you can always steam them slightly (or for watery veggies like zucchini, dash some salt on and let sit for a few minutes to soften them up).

Roast up some veggies and have them on hand for throwing together an easy mini-meal. These could be eaten with some leftover meat or tossed into a skillet to fill out a frittata.

Make chicken (or turkey) poppers, like these: https://unboundwellness.com/bacon-ranch-chicken-poppers/

Hope that helps, and good luck :)

• Whole30 Certified Coach

@YGetty here is a little more information about snacking and Whole30: https://whole30.com/whole30-101-snacks-on-the-whole30/. While not a rule, it is a recommendation to not snack. That being said, as you are figuring out meal sizes you may need a snack. A mini-meal as @Jihannapointed out is the way to go! If I ever need a snack/mini-meal, I make sure to add fat to it to keep me full longer. 

@Jihanna I love the veggie peel suggestion!

On 2/11/2020 at 7:10 PM, QuilterInVA said:

It is better not to snack. 

I know, but I when I have a long day at work, I find that I need something to munch on, and it is difficult to find compliant snacks that will not break the wires on my braces.

On 2/11/2020 at 7:51 PM, Jihanna said:

While it is definitely better not to snack, sometimes it's necessary in order to bridge the gap between two meals... however, if you're going to snack, then I definitely suggest making it a "mini-meal" instead of just a handful of one type of food.

A small salad of diced Roma tomatoes, diced sweet onions, and diced cucumbers. Toss it with a bit of homemade vinaigrette (or top it with some compliant ranch) and it's delicious. I often add a chopped up boiled egg (for protein) and serve with avocado or black olives (for fat).

Veggie peels. Just use a vegetable peeler to peel off thin slices of carrots, cucumbers (or zucchini, yum!), radishes, etc. and dip them in a compliant dressing of choice. Add some boiled egg slices (or take bites out of a whole one) or chopped up bits of chicken to make it a mini-meal. If you find veggie peels to be too stiff, you can always steam them slightly (or for watery veggies like zucchini, dash some salt on and let sit for a few minutes to soften them up).

Roast up some veggies and have them on hand for throwing together an easy mini-meal. These could be eaten with some leftover meat or tossed into a skillet to fill out a frittata.

Make chicken (or turkey) poppers, like these: https://unboundwellness.com/bacon-ranch-chicken-poppers/

Hope that helps, and good luck :)

Thank you.  I can't wait to try the poppers!

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, YGetty said:

I know, but I when I have a long day at work, I find that I need something to munch on, and it is difficult to find compliant snacks that will not break the wires on my braces.

I think you'll find as you become more comfortable with braces that they're not quite as fragile as one thinks... I don't think there are too many people who have had braces for 12-24 months that live only on soft food... sure, when they are first on or tightened, the soft food is less painful and I wouldn't recommend eating a frozen toblerone bar (which is obvs not compliant) but regular crunchy food like carrot sticks/celery sticks etc... should not be popping your brackets off or breaking the wires.

On 2/12/2020 at 2:19 PM, Terra Milliken said:

@YGetty here is a little more information about snacking and Whole30: https://whole30.com/whole30-101-snacks-on-the-whole30/. While not a rule, it is a recommendation to not snack. That being said, as you are figuring out meal sizes you may need a snack. A mini-meal as @Jihannapointed out is the way to go! If I ever need a snack/mini-meal, I make sure to add fat to it to keep me full longer. 

@Jihanna I love the veggie peel suggestion!

Thank you for the information!  A mini meal sounds like exactly what I need.  I have long days in the office, and with my schedule, it need something small between lunch at noon and dinner at 7.

3 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

I think you'll find as you become more comfortable with braces that they're not quite as fragile as one thinks... I don't think there are too many people who have had braces for 12-24 months that live only on soft food... sure, when they are first on or tightened, the soft food is less painful and I wouldn't recommend eating a frozen toblerone bar (which is obvs not compliant) but regular crunchy food like carrot sticks/celery sticks etc... should not be popping your brackets off or breaking the wires.

Thanks!  I'm definitely being over cautious.  I'm also partly dealing with how annoying it is to get certain foods out of my braces, so finding whole30 compliant options that don't require a year's worth of chewing per bite it helpful ;)

Archived