Today was the hardest...

Nicole

It's hard to quantify "hardest" because I've had a few days this week that were not the best, but today was just hard.

I don't know what was going on, but I was s.t.a.r.v.i.n.g....... They said in the daily email that I know I'm hungry if that fish looks good, and it did.... Aaaaalllllll dddaaaaaayyyyyy. But I didn't eat any snacks. Am I supposed to eat snacks? I thought it was just 3 meals a day that are satisfying enough that you don't need snacks.

On top of the hungry I was also craving like a maniac. I kept having these weak moments where I would actually think things like "I'm going to go back to eating everything I want after this Whole30 thing." - Hey, I don't feel that way!! I am super excited to readjust my way of eating/drinking permanently... Even when I started getting hunger pangs I thought "I'll just eat some of the chocolate in the staff room." As if that was ever an option! I've been paleo for a while now, and I at least put up a fight before I start cheating! These cheating thoughts were coming thick and fast!

Who knows... But I came home, made my venison dinner, ate it and I have my brain back again. I don't know if the salmon I've been eating for the last 3 days just didn't have enough fat in it... If I just needed some red meat? I'm not sure. I guess it could be all part of the process as my body stops relying on sugar. Even as a paleo girl I had way too much sugar in my life.

Also, I've been ridiculously tired today. More like low energy and spaced out rather than tired. I felt like I could barely focus at work... Now, I did skip my coffee today, but I don't have a head ache and I did it one day last week too. Nothing like this happened last time, so I don't really think that was it.

Good news: my hives are now obviously getting better, and so is my cold sore!

Here's what I ate today, to see what I ate the last few days go here: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/5818-1-week-down

Day 8

Breakfast

Scrambled eggs, zucchini, coconut oil

Lunch

Leftover salmon, sweet potato patty, rocket salad, paleo mayo with herbs, olive oil

Dinner

Stuffed bell peppers; venison mince, zucchini, onion, garlic, portobello mushrooms

Broccoli (baked with olive oil)

Paleo mayo with basil and parsley

Mocktail: sparkling water, blueberries (only about 5), and lemon slice

I'm trying not to snack, but you can if you are starving. Yes, you probably just need to up the fat a little a bit. You know how you can have "good" hair days and "bad" hair days even though you didn't do anything different? Appetite is kind of the same--hungry days and normal days :) I've been paleo for ages and I still get the occasional craving--pizza, cookies, bread, cheese, chips, and coke zero cravings are all long since gone---but I still get chocolate cravings and cream in my coffee cravings. The staff room where I work ALWAYS has chocolate. I hope tomorrow is not quite so hard for you!

Yep, 3 meals is ideal but it's ok to snack if you need to. It can take a while to work out exactly how much you need at each meal. An ideal snack is like a mini meal, protein, good fat and veggies. I love the analogy of good and bad hair days (I've just had a bad hair life but that's another matter :ph34r: ). Us humans are complex creatures and some days we just need more than others ;)

• Moderators

When you feel hungry you are supposed to eat. The magic of the Whole30 is not that 3 meals per day satisfies you, but that you can eat a healthy meal of protein, fat, and veggies when you feel hungry and become increasingly healthy. You may need 4 or 5 meals per day to keep your body satisfied right now or you may need to eat more at each meal.

Thank you! One problem was that I didn't have an extra meal on hand... I think I will bring veggies with me today just so I have something. I don't have any meat prepared right now or I would bring that too (it's 8 am in New Zealand, and time for me to get to work).

Before the Whole30 I was paleo for a long time (am paleo I mean :) ), but I always snacked on nuts because I couldn't figure out what else to do, and I never felt like snacking on veggies. Now that I'm avoiding the nuts (they really do disagree with me) I'm not sure where to go. I feel like an extra meal might be too much, but it's better than starving.

Fortunately this is the only day I've had like this.

During my first Whole30, if I was cranky or having a bad day, upping my fat and/or protein helped a lot. I ate a lot of fat and I think that's a big part of why I had an overall great experience. Snacking is fine, mindless eating is not. It's best to get some protein or fat in with a snack when you do it. I loved an apple with some nutbutter, or a hardboiled egg and some cashews, jerky and olives.

During my first Whole30, if I was cranky or having a bad day, upping my fat and/or protein helped a lot. I ate a lot of fat and I think that's a big part of why I had an overall great experience. Snacking is fine, mindless eating is not. It's best to get some protein or fat in with a snack when you do it. I loved an apple with some nutbutter, or a hardboiled egg and some cashews, jerky and olives.

Thank you! I can't find any olives without naughty stuff added, here in New Zealand. Same with jerky... Sigh... But I will definitely add some more protein and fat.

There were a few days where I happened to be mostly eating chicken (cooked in different ways/with different flavors) and I was hungry a lot more than normal. Someone on here suggested switching it up with beef, salmon, etc. more often (which I usually did, it was just a random few days of chicken, haha) and it definitely helped!

Also, jerky is pretty easy to make if you have a dehydrator and there is a super easy and great tasting recipe out there from Robb Wolf. (I kind of hate cooking, but jerky was literally just marinating the meat in a bag, placing in dehydrator, and turning it on. Bam. Jerky.)

There were a few days where I happened to be mostly eating chicken (cooked in different ways/with different flavors) and I was hungry a lot more than normal. Someone on here suggested switching it up with beef, salmon, etc. more often (which I usually did, it was just a random few days of chicken, haha) and it definitely helped!

Also, jerky is pretty easy to make if you have a dehydrator and there is a super easy and great tasting recipe out there from Robb Wolf. (I kind of hate cooking, but jerky was literally just marinating the meat in a bag, placing in dehydrator, and turning it on. Bam. Jerky.)

Hmm, I like the idea of making it myself! I have one family member that has every gadget. I will see if she has a dehydrator. Otherwise, if there is another way? Time to research!

By the way: I feel a lot better today! I don't know why, but I'll take it!

I brought some veggies for a snack, which helped a little post breakfast. And I also ate a slightly bigger breakfast with more fat (well, I added an avocado).

I wonder if I needed to mix up the different kinds of meat a bit more? We had baked a whole salmon so we ate salmon for a few days there. Now we are on to venison and I feel a million times better. Not that the salmon made me feel bad, but maybe I needed some red meat in there.

Archived